crappy hygrometer?

Started by bstessl, 03/10/2014 04:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bstessl

I bought a new digital hygrometer from wallys for the tupperdor project...  Doing the salt test, this is what I see after 24 hours...  Could I be doing something wrong?  Or just chalk it up to "stop buying stuff at Walmart"?
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

johncw

Is the humidity 60% or 72%... Sometimes you have to adjust hygrometers usually a % or 2. If it's 60% wow that is really off. Try adjusting it and doing another test.

bstessl

sorry, humidity is 60% temp is 72...  There is no adjust feature...

hebron

Quotebstessl - 3/10/2014  1:55 PM

I bought a new digital hygrometer from wallys for the tupperdor project...  Doing the salt test, this is what I see after 24 hours...  Could I be doing something wrong?  Or just chalk it up to "stop buying stuff at Walmart"?
Sure the bag is not leaking? Try it in a airtight Tupperware box. I've also bought some really cheap hygrometers, but they haven't been more off then 6%...
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

bstessl

It doesn't seem like it is leaking, no air is lost when I put pressure on the bag, but I will try to find a container that they will fit in to try again.

hebron

Oh, and make sure to have enough (but not too much) distilled water. Should be like wet sand says the article on hygrometer calibration. Maybe try it with a more expensive hygrometer? I experimented multiple times with multiple hygrometers when I first did the salt test, just to be sure I wasn't !@#%$ing it up.
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

bstessl

Funds are a bit short at the moment, thats why I bought the cheepy from wally world.  I plan on getting a couple of nice ones after I get back on my feet.  The one I had is old and I feel its unreliable...

hebron

Then I would redo the test a couple of times, just to see if the result is persistent. That being said, you're not the only one with unaccurate hygrometers.
- Thomas

lubrix

I just skip the salt test and use a 69% Boveda pack in a bag and let it sit.
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

bstessl

thats not a bad idea...

conditionZero

Read the first post in this thread...

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=18770.0

I have two of these, and they work great, but I followed Ted's recommended modification.
--JOE--

I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.  Joe E. Lewis

bstessl

Wow... again, Joe, you are on top of it!!  Thanks!!

bstessl

OK, I went and punched a bunch of holes in the back WHERE THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO BE IN THE FIRST PLACE, now... its time for some sleep!

bstessl

Well Crap...  Even with holes punched for air circulation, still only reading 59%  I guess this ones a bust...

conditionZero

Quotebstessl - 3/10/2014  1:18 PM  Well Crap...  Even with holes punched for air circulation, still only reading 59%  I guess this ones a bust...

Are you doing the salt test? It takes quite some time for the RH to reach 75%. 

--JOE--

I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.  Joe E. Lewis

bstessl

yeah, I'm still waiting, but it hasn't moved since I went to sleep ealier

mike.casey

I have one that is reads 9% low, one that read 1% low, and one that reads 2% high. I just write +9, +1 and -2 on the bottom with a sharpie. I salt tested them individually and together, and if I put them in the same compartment they are always the same distance apart. It's not a big deal in my opinion.
Life is hard. It's harder when you're stupid. -John Wayne-

I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em.
Ron White

Him and his kind get more endangered everyday, and pretty soon the species will just up and fade away. Like the smoke from that torpedo... just up and fade away. -Old Hippie, Bellamy Brothers-

bstessl

Thats what I figured I'd do after this test runs its course...

hebron

Mine stabilized after four hours and kept that value until I took it out about 8 hours in. I used a fairly small airtight plastic container. I paid about 65$ for for it, suppose to be quite accurate. Ended on 73%. Picture taken before it had stabilized.
- Thomas

nwb

You could always try to exchange it for a new one.  No money out of your pocket.  Just tell them it is defective.
Chief of Shaft

dirtyleafcigars

Hey bstessl, I sent you a PM about something.  :-)

bstessl

Nwb, I already puncheda bunch of holes in it... lol.   Alan,  got it, replied.

nwb

Quotebstessl - 3/11/2014  3:00 PM

Nwb, I already puncheda bunch of holes in it... lol.   Alan,  got it, replied.

You got it at Walmart?  I'm pretty sure they'd take it back.  Normally I wouldn't suggest returning merchandise that you altered, but in this case, it was broken from the start.
Chief of Shaft

Cigary

Quotenwb - 3/11/2014  1:56 PM  You could always try to exchange it for a new one.  No money out of your pocket.  Just tell them it is defective.

This.....I have 7 of those hygros and they all work perfectly but I did have to go through a few of them where I had about 3 of them not work at all.  WM will take them back and you can start all over.  I have one hygro I use all the time that is perfectly tuned so I put all of the hygros in a bag and test them against the good hygro...saves me from doing a salt test all the time except for the one I know to be calibrated.

hebron

Just received Precise Slim Accurate Digital LCD Tobacco Cigar Humidor Thermometer Hygrometer of eBay, and after 15 hours salt test it shows 74%. 18$ and free shipping :-)
- Thomas

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.