Cedar cigar boxes for use in tupperdor

Started by hebron, 03/11/2014 11:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hebron

Are normally all cigar boxes made of cedar? I have a couple that I have broken up to use in my tupperdor, but some of them seems like there is just a thin plate of cedar glued to a different type of wood. The sides have a thin sheet of cedar, the bottom doesn't seem to be cedar at all. The top seems to have thicker cedar plates.

Is there any point in using these in the tupperdor?
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

mike.casey

Spanish cedar is porous, but has low odor. That means it holds a little moisture in, but doesn't flavor the sticks. There are lot's of other woods that do the same thing. IMO cigar boxes like that one are still made of cedar because that's what has always been done. I think it is highly overrated in terms of 'need'.

Its use in a tupperdore helps the tupperdore hold humidity. If you don't have an issue with such things then you don't need the cedar. Unless of course you are using the boxes to store cigars. Just putting in pieces of it will do nothing for you unless, again, you are having trouble holding humidity. If  you introduce A LOT you will most likely have to season your tupperdore.
Life is hard. It's harder when you're stupid. -John Wayne-

I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em.
Ron White

Him and his kind get more endangered everyday, and pretty soon the species will just up and fade away. Like the smoke from that torpedo... just up and fade away. -Old Hippie, Bellamy Brothers-

Newbhunter

Not surprised to find laminated boxes...  I'd look for some solid spanish cedar planks. A lot of wood hobby places sells it, (places u find supplies for wood carvers and woodworkers). here in montreal its about 30$ CAD for 6 planks roughly 10x29".

dirtyleafcigars

Many these days are laminated. But at the same time many of the nicer ones are solid cedar. If you ever need boxes I have TONS of them.

nwb

IMHO, even the laminated cedar boxes (like the one in the pictures) will still help regulate humidity in a coolidor/tupperdor.
Chief of Shaft

Cfickter

You can also buy cedar trays just for that purpose
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

05Venturer

I pick up cedar boxes from my B&M for $2 a piece for my Ziplocador. When I get em home I boil some distilled water and put some in a small container inside each box to rehydrate them as they are pretty dried out from sitting out.  Then I use them for storing sticks inside my Ziplocador. Seems to be working well for me.

And yes I do love they way "Ziplocador" rolls off the toungue, Thanx Longhorn.  :word:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Ken Kelley

Quotemike.casey - 3/11/2014  2:40 AM

Spanish cedar is porous, but has low odor. That means it holds a little moisture in, but doesn't flavor the sticks. There are lot's of other woods that do the same thing. IMO cigar boxes like that one are still made of cedar because that's what has always been done. I think it is highly overrated in terms of 'need'.

Its use in a tupperdore helps the tupperdore hold humidity. If you don't have an issue with such things then you don't need the cedar. Unless of course you are using the boxes to store cigars. Just putting in pieces of it will do nothing for you unless, again, you are having trouble holding humidity. If  you introduce A LOT you will most likely have to season your tupperdore.

If you think Spanish cedar (not really a cedar at all but a species of mahogany) has no odor I invite you to my shop some time when I am machining rough planks. I think you will change your mind instantly. And yes, it does lend taste to cigars. Over time the odor moderates a bit but can be revived a bit with judicious application of a little sandpaper to rough up the surface a bit. A lot of the planks I buy from Woodcraft have pockets of sap that need to dry before I can use the wood. When I get those I resaw them into 3/8" boards and let them sit for a while to get that drying done. That sap can be pretty strong so I never want to use it for a liner.

And yes those veneered cigar boxes can come in pretty handy to help hold moisture.
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

hebron

Cedar seems to be pretty hard to come by in Norway, I haven't found anywhere that sells it. Some forums are saying that you need to import it from shops outside of Norway.

Quotedirtyleafcigars - 3/11/2014  7:48 PM

Many these days are laminated. But at the same time many of the nicer ones are solid cedar. If you ever need boxes I have TONS of them.
Thank you for your generosity :-) Seems like a long way to send empty cigar boxes... I'll have a word with my local shop and see what they can offer in terms of boxes and knowledge of cedar planks for purchase. Or I might just have to buy a lot of cigar boxes and smoke them all  :smoker2:
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

Ken Kelley

Quotehebron - 3/11/2014  3:58 AM

Cedar seems to be pretty hard to come by in Norway, I haven't found anywhere that sells it. Some forums are saying that you need to import it from shops outside of Norway.

Quotedirtyleafcigars - 3/11/2014  7:48 PM

Thank you for your generosity :-) Seems like a long way to send empty cigar boxes... I'll have a word with my local shop and see what they can offer in terms of boxes and knowledge of cedar planks for purchase. Or I might just have to buy a lot of cigar boxes and smoke them all  :smoker2:

Be careful when searching for cedar because all is not the same. Red cedar, used for lining hope chests and such things is NOT the same as Spanish cedar, which as I stated earlier, is not a cedar at all. The various aromatic actual cedars are not for use in humidors because the strong odor will render your cigars unsmokeable...unless you have really weird taste buds.

Here's what you're looking for....

Cedrela odorata is a very important timber tree, producing a lightweight fragrant wood with very good resistance to termites and other wood-boring insects, and also rot-resistant outdoors. The wood is often sold under the name "Spanish-cedar" (like many trade names, confusing as it is neither Spanish nor a cedar), and is the traditional wood used for making cigar boxes, as well as being used for general outdoor and construction work, paneling and veneer wood. It is also the standard wood used for the neck of "classical"-style guitars, as well as for the linings of the guitar (tiny blocks of wood that attach the top and bottom of the guitar to the sides). Some species are now CITES-listed, in particular Cedrela odorata.[1] It is also grown as an ornamental tree, and has become naturalized in some areas in Africa, southeast Asia and Hawaii. The other species have similar wood, but are less-used due to scarcity.

hebron

QuoteKen Kelley - 3/11/2014  9:11 PM

Be careful when searching for cedar because all is not the same. Red cedar, used for lining hope chests and such things is NOT the same as Spanish cedar, which as I stated earlier, is not a cedar at all. The various aromatic actual cedars are not for use in humidors because the strong odor will render your cigars unsmokeable...unless you have really weird taste buds.

Here's what you're looking for....

Cedrela odorata is a very important timber tree, producing a lightweight fragrant wood with very good resistance to termites and other wood-boring insects, and also rot-resistant outdoors. The wood is often sold under the name "Spanish-cedar" (like many trade names, confusing as it is neither Spanish nor a cedar), and is the traditional wood used for making cigar boxes, as well as being used for general outdoor and construction work, paneling and veneer wood. It is also the standard wood used for the neck of "classical"-style guitars, as well as for the linings of the guitar (tiny blocks of wood that attach the top and bottom of the guitar to the sides). Some species are now CITES-listed, in particular Cedrela odorata.[1] It is also grown as an ornamental tree, and has become naturalized in some areas in Africa, southeast Asia and Hawaii. The other species have similar wood, but are less-used due to scarcity.
Thank you sir, that was very informative :-)
- Thomas

ROTHNH

Look, Thomas, you're fine, IMO, using "deconstructed" cedar boxes in your Tupperdor/Coolidor --- as long as there's a decent amount of Spanish cedar on those box pieces.

I'd eliminate boxes with varnished or shellacked finishes, other than that, you should be fine.

Good luck, Bro, and let us know how you're making out ;-)

hebron

QuoteROTHNH - 3/11/2014  11:33 PM

Look, Thomas, you're fine, IMO, using "deconstructed" cedar boxes in your Tupperdor/Coolidor --- as long as there's a decent amount of Spanish cedar on those box pieces.

I'd eliminate boxes with varnished or shellacked finishes, other than that, you should be fine.

Good luck, Bro, and let us know how you're making out ;-)
Thanks Rich :-) Looks like some of my deconstructed boxes has varnished or shellacked finishes... But one would still store those boxes in the tupperdor if they were not deconstructed, right? Is there a difference?

I'll keep you guys posted on the progress, the tupperdor is new to me so I am experimenting a bit with it :-)
- Thomas

hebron

Just spoke to my cigar shop, and they'll add some cedar sheets to my next delivery :-)
- Thomas

Ken Kelley

Quotehebron - 3/11/2014  3:40 PM

Just spoke to my cigar shop, and they'll add some cedar sheets to my next delivery :-)

I save all those cedar sheets used to divide layers of cigars in some boxes and just toss them in whatever tupperdor I load the sticks into. Every little bit helps!

ROTHNH

Quotehebron - 3/12/2014  2:51 AM

... Looks like some of my deconstructed boxes has varnished or shellacked finishes... But one would still store those boxes in the tupperdor if they were not deconstructed, right? Is there a difference?

I'll keep you guys posted on the progress, the tupperdor is new to me so I am experimenting a bit with it :-)

Well, it's that the varnished or shellacked cedar boxes sorta interfere with the purpose of the cedar, but that doesn't mean they're useless, as long as one side is natural, unpainted wood.

However, those boards your B&M is sending you should work best.

BTW, hang on to those deconstructed cigar boxes -- they can be useful keeping things sorted later.

hebron

QuoteLawDaddy - 3/12/2014  5:42 PM

I am packing my tupperdors full of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B9234HE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Oh, I might have to get myself some of those...

QuoteROTHNH - 3/12/2014  6:01 PM

BTW, hang on to those deconstructed cigar boxes -- they can be useful keeping things sorted later.
As separators you mean?
- Thomas

ntanner

QuoteKen Kelley - 3/12/2014  3:31 AM

Quotehebron - 3/11/2014  3:40 PM

I save all those cedar sheets used to divide layers of cigars in some boxes and just toss them in whatever tupperdor I load the sticks into. Every little bit helps!
I use those for spill's for lighting also. They are handy to have around.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

mike.casey

QuoteKen Kelley - 3/11/2014  2:55 PM

If you think Spanish cedar (not really a cedar at all but a species of mahogany) has no odor I invite you to my shop some time when I am machining rough planks. I think you will change your mind instantly. And yes, it does lend taste to cigars. Over time the odor moderates a bit but can be revived a bit with judicious application of a little sandpaper to rough up the surface a bit. A lot of the planks I buy from Woodcraft have pockets of sap that need to dry before I can use the wood. When I get those I resaw them into 3/8" boards and let them sit for a while to get that drying done. That sap can be pretty strong so I never want to use it for a liner.

And yes those veneered cigar boxes can come in pretty handy to help hold moisture.

I said LOW odor.  :biggrin:

As you well know there is a big difference in sticking your nose to a piece of western red cedar, and spanish cedar.
Life is hard. It's harder when you're stupid. -John Wayne-

I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em.
Ron White

Him and his kind get more endangered everyday, and pretty soon the species will just up and fade away. Like the smoke from that torpedo... just up and fade away. -Old Hippie, Bellamy Brothers-

Ken Kelley

Quotemike.casey - 3/12/2014  3:38 AM

QuoteKen Kelley - 3/11/2014  2:55 PM

I said LOW odor.  :biggrin:

As you well know there is a big difference in sticking your nose to a piece of western red cedar, and spanish cedar.

Yup! It's low if you're down near the floor working on something and then it's high when you stand up but there is absolutely no mistaking it is there! And, when you heat it up a bit in the machining process it just gets downright noticeable and sometimes a bit much. I love the smell though so I don't complain about it at all. Working with that wood creates a fair amount of dust which naturally gets dragged along to the house so I do have to put up with a bit of remonstration from that woman who lives here with me. But I just remind her that I could be working with the forge and come in smoldering and smelling like hot metal and smoke so she moderates a bit...once in a while.  
 :biggrin:

Freshly cut Spanish cedar is very aromatic in my nostrils and, oddly enough, has a watermelon-like quality to it. I've tried to figure that one out and can't quite come up with a reason. Love the smell though.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.