House Passes SCHIP Expansion Bill

Started by mistagordo, 09/27/2007 08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mistagordo

I'm surprised no one brought this up yet.  So they passed the bill we've all been fearing.  The only question is will Bush veto it as he said he would.

I'm not feeling real good about this.  This could make our passion a lot more expensive.

Steve

WASHINGTON,, Sept 21, 2007 /PRNewswire-USNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Bipartisan, bicameral coalition ready to move on full reauthorization of vital program

A bipartisan coalition of Senate and House leaders today announced a bicameral agreement to reauthorize the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP) for an additional five years. CHIP provides health coverage to American children whose parents do not qualify for Medicaid, but can't afford private insurance. The $35 billion agreement struck by House and Senate negotiators will bring health coverage to approximately ten million children in need - preserving coverage for all 6.6 million children currently covered by CHIP, and reaching millions more low-income, uninsured American children in the next five years.

Below is an outline of the agreement, which is designed to target specifically the lowest-income uninsured American children for outreach and enrollment. The agreement does not call for CHIP coverage for children in families at higher income levels. Instead, it reduces Federal matching funds for future coverage of children at higher income levels, and provides incentives to cover the lowest-income children instead. CHIP coverage of childless adults and parents will be phased out to maintain the program's focus on kids.

Proph

I was hoping that wouldn't pass.  Bush promised to veto it though.. hopefully he'll keep his word.

Or else all the cigar manufacturers are gonna take huge hits..

and it's gonna be a mad dash for cigars now.. as some fear Bush may not veto it.. Let's see what happens.  

I'll smoke pipe tobacco if I have to.  :P
"Do not be too timid or squeamish about your actions, all life is an experiment." -Ralph W. Emerson

ljlemer

The Cuban Emigre community has enormous influence in Florida and Florida is a big swing state. It's because of them that we can't buy Cuban cigars, but it is also because of them that Bush MUST veto the bill. Destroying the cigar industry, which is big in Florida, could swing the state one way or the other. Since the Democrats support the bill big time, he can score points by opposing it.

The point we are all upset about is cigars taking the unfair bulk of the hit to pay for the bill. Whether we support increasing public health care for kids through higher taxes is irrelevant. It's how they want to pay for it  that unites us.

The Senate hasn't passed it yet, has it? Unless these bills are identical, it'll go to committee where compromises and lobbying might soften the cigar tax.

Thanks for reminding me that there will still be pipes, for now.
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

theoldcc

This whole legislation makes me sick.  BUT these guys are not stupid the way they approached it.  The tagline is that it is "for the kids."  The people who are affected by the tax are in the minority (us smokers.)  Therefore the majorty would not object and this thing sails through.

This could kill an industry and certainly destroy the mom & pop retailers out there.  Let's hope Bush vetoes this garbage.
"The most interesting information comes from children, for
they tell all they know and then stop." - Mark Twain
My Smokes

ljlemer

Quoteccforme - 9/28/2007  8:59 AM

This could kill an industry and certainly destroy the mom & pop retailers out there.  Let's hope Bush vetoes this garbage.

Amen!  Yes! Veto!
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

Proph

I hate to say it, but I am gonna be glad Bush is in office if he vetos this, other than that he's worthless. Hehehe
"Do not be too timid or squeamish about your actions, all life is an experiment." -Ralph W. Emerson

Proph

Wanna know how nonsense like this actually makes it through?  

Watch.. and be disgusted!

Click Here

05Venturer

Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Vroomp

The house voting thing has gone on for a long time...... :sad:   It's sad we can't hold them to their own rules and regulations........ :-(

Maybe it's time to build Gort~!    And by the way..... FDA's "User Fees" increase this year~!  :cry:

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

nirab

The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Cfickter

QuoteVroomp - 10/1/2017  1:26 PM  

The house voting thing has gone on for a long time...... :sad:   It's sad we can't hold them to their own rules and regulations........ :-(

Maybe it's time to build Gort~!    And by the way..... FDA's "User Fees" increase this year~!  :cry:

Fortunately i know how to stop Gort - "Klaatu barada nikto" 

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.