St. Baldrick's ** The hair is GONE! **

Started by bstessl, 03/14/2014 04:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bstessl

Hey everyone, Just checking in to see if anyone would be interesting in donating to St. Baldricks.  If you don't know what that is, the short story is thats its kind of like a cancer walk, only you don't walk, you shave your head.  The money raised goes to fund fighting Childhood cancers.  This is my 4th year participating.  Last year I started dyeing my hair whatever color the highest donation by a certain date tells me to dye it.  My goal this year is to raise $1000 by April 6th.  I am currently at $851.  Even the smallest donations help!  

So, this year I will be dyeing my hair March 26th, the Highest donation up to that date decides what color I dye it.  I have not cut my hair since last St. Patrick's day, so I look a bit ridiculous now, but I have no problem making myself look as ridiculous as possible to help the kids!  

If you would like to donate, just follow the link!

https://www.stbaldricks.org/donate/participant/693832/2014

The first picture is from last year before the event, the second is a recent picture of what I look like now.
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

bstessl

My hair is not "picked out" in the second picture, so the fro doesn't look as big as it actually is...

Brlesq

I never heard of St. Baldrick's until just now, so I researched them and they are rated very highly by Charity Navigator, which states that 80% of what is raised goes directly to the fighting childhood cancer, a very worthy cause!  (Admin expenses are only 2.8%, which is a very low percentage amongst charities.)

It is admirable that you sacrifice a year of perfectly good haircuts and then dye your hair like a confused teenage schoolgirl at the end for the cause! (My daughter dyes her hair weird colors and it doesn't raise money for anything!)

Therefore , GEEK CHALLENGE!! I just made a donation.  I don't know what Brian's highest donation is to date (and please don't tell us!), and I'm not saying how much I donated.  Could have been $5 . . $10 . . . an old cellophane wrapper . . . who knows? :?:  

So are there any Geeks that want to make a pledge and beat me out on the possibility of picking his hair color??  Don't tell us how much you pledged . . . we'll let it be a surprise at the end!

And Brian, we will want pictures!  Good luck on this!

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Cfickter

Congrats in helping out for a great cause, will check out the link
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

conditionZero

QuoteBrlesq - 3/14/2014  6:57 AM  I never heard of St. Baldrick's until just now, so I researched them and they are rated very highly by Charity Navigator, which states that 80% of what is raised goes directly to the fighting childhood cancer, a very worthy cause!  (Admin expenses are only 2.8%, which is a very low percentage amongst charities.)  It is admirable that you sacrifice a year of perfectly good haircuts and then dye your hair like a confused teenage schoolgirl at the end for the cause! (My daughter dyes her hair weird colors and it doesn't raise money for anything!)  Therefore , GEEK CHALLENGE!! I just made a donation.  I don't know what Brian's highest donation is to date (and please don't tell us!), and I'm not saying how much I donated.  Could have been $5 . . $10 . . . an old cellophane wrapper . . . who knows? :?:    So are there any Geeks that want to make a pledge and beat me out on the possibility of picking his hair color??  Don't tell us how much you pledged . . . we'll let it be a surprise at the end!  And Brian, we will want pictures!  Good luck on this!  

--JOE--

I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.  Joe E. Lewis

nwb

This is a great charity.  My sister-in-law was diagnosed with Ewing's Sarcoma - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ewing's_sarcoma - when she was 14, so this is a cause near and dear for me.  It is a very generous thing you are doing here.
Chief of Shaft

Brlesq

Glad to see you accept my challenge, Joe!  Another punch in your man-card.  (Its getting quite full, huh?)  Anybody else want to step up?   :shades:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

sauraspop

Challenge also accepted.

Brian,  :thumbsup: to you my brother. Here is my Transaction #: 3357727 for my donation if you need it.

Sammy - Semper Vigilis

Be carful what you wish for, You may get it! Ray Wylie Hubbard (Mother Blues)

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake. ~ Cliffy ~

LawDaddy

Good organization.  I've done it a couple of times, but after the last time 2 years ago I left my head shaved pretty close, so I can't raise money anymore to hack the last 1/8th inch off.

nirab

Way too cool!! I am doing Locks of Love right now, and have about another 6 months to go. Knowing that this is the last time that I will be able to grow my hair out, as some "thinner than other" areas of my head are telling me, it's good to know that I can join this cause next year. Donation forthcoming... :biggrin:  :bigthumbs:  :bigthumbs:  :bigthumbs:  :bigthumbs:  :bigthumbs:  :bigthumbs:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

conditionZero

As an added bonus, if any Geek tops my donation, Bruce will shave his eye brows.
--JOE--

I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.  Joe E. Lewis

nirab

Donation sent. From Brian to Brian...THANK YOU!!  :bigthumbs:  :bigthumbs:  :bigthumbs:  :bigthumbs:

Your Donation to St. Baldrick's Foundation - ID 3358351

Brian P Foley,

Your donation of ????? USD, was received on March 14, 2014.

Your donation was on behalf of:
Participant: Brian Stessl (P-693832)
Event: The Quest Eatery (E-127)

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

nwb

QuoteconditionZero - 3/14/2014  1:39 PM

As an added bonus, if any Geek tops my donation, Bruce will shave his eye brows.

:lmao:
Chief of Shaft

Brlesq

QuoteconditionZero - 3/14/2014  1:39 PM

:notamused:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

conditionZero

QuoteBrlesq - 3/14/2014  1:02 PM  
QuoteconditionZero - 3/14/2014  1:39 PM  As an added bonus, if any Geek tops my donation, Bruce will shave his eye brows.

Don't you mean...  ??

--JOE--

bstessl

Wow, Brlesq, thanks for the added information AND turning this into a contest!  All of you guys are freaking amazing!

bstessl

QuoteLawDaddy - 3/14/2014  12:25 PM

Good organization.  I've done it a couple of times, but after the last time 2 years ago I left my head shaved pretty close, so I can't raise money anymore to hack the last 1/8th inch off.

It looks a bit odd, but I have seen guys walk up bald as can be and just have them go through the motions of it... lol

And yes, there will be pictures posted of the whole process...  (you should see what I look like with bleached hair before dyeing it).

conditionZero

I'll tell you guys what. In case Bruce reneges on shaving his eyebrows, I will send a mediocre five pack to the geek with the highest donation. Unless it's me, in which case I will smoke them all myself.

Edit: The geek with the highest donation at the time that Brian announces the chooser of his hair color. 

--JOE--

Brlesq

QuoteconditionZero - 3/14/2014  2:13 PM

QuoteBrlesq - 3/14/2014  1:02 PM  
QuoteconditionZero - 3/14/2014  1:39 PM  As an added bonus, if any Geek tops my donation, Bruce will shave his eye brows.

Don't you mean...  ??

:lmao:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

akira

I'm not going to win for highest donation, but I can definitely support the cause.  Good luck with the rest of your fundraising!
"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed - Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.'" -Jack Handy

nirab

I'd shave my eyebrows for a mediocre 5pk...do I win??  :biggrin:

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

Thich Nhat Hanh

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

nwb

Quotenirab - 3/14/2014  5:04 PM
I'd shave my eyebrows for a mediocre 5pk...do I win??  :biggrin:

That's a true Cigar Geek. :thumbsup:
Chief of Shaft

junglepete

Donation made, thanks for the opportunity to help.

Peter Kozo,

Your donation of $20.00 USD, was received on March 14, 2014.

Your donation was on behalf of:
Participant: Brian Stessl (P-693832)
Event: The Quest Eatery (E-127)
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

conditionZero

Quotenirab - 3/14/2014  4:04 PM  I'd shave my eyebrows for a mediocre 5pk...do I win??  :biggrin:

I've got five Gurkhas with your name on them if you shave your eyebrows. Ten if you just shave one. 

--JOE--

toby2

I'm in.

This gift is from:        

An Individual        
               Donating to the participant:            
               Brian Stessl            
           Listed on Web site as:        
           toby2 cigargeek
           Transaction Date:        
           March 14, 2014

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.