Storing singles in tupperdors

Started by hebron, 03/16/2014 03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hebron

Just wondering how you guys store your singles in tupperdors, I've seem some people using zip-lock bags, empty cigar boxes or just placing them on the cedar plates. But how to you do it?
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

jbshumidor

I use box lids as trays and have them stacked up in the tupperdor.

tvolball

I lay a piece of cedar in the bottom and lay them on top of it.
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

CrazyK

I use zip lock bags for some, empty boxes for others, and have some just floating around as well. I need to get a better system for my tupperdor!
CrazyK
--------------------------
Simia demulcta mitis

17leaves

Quotetvolball - 3/16/2014  8:04 AM

I lay a piece of cedar in the bottom and lay them on top of it.

I do the same thing. I've been wondering if I should separate the rows with cedar. I like John's idea of using box lids though.

hebron

Thanks for sharing guys :-) I have cedar plates at the bottom, but the box lids idea sounds kinda cool. Easier to get access to the sticks below as well  :cigarman:
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

toby2

I used to have an overflow cooler. I used the cedar trays in it. I love the trays and you can name your own price here  for a good deal.

Mojo66

why not use Spanish cedar trays, they come in many sizes and heights. That is what I use in my Coolerdor for singles, I don't have a tupperdore yet...
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

hebron

Quotetoby2 - 3/16/2014  4:12 PM

I used to have an overflow cooler. I used the cedar trays in it. I love the trays and you can name your own price here  for a good deal.
Thanks for the link Toby, that's the cheapest I've found them :-) I'm ordering some of those as soon as my large tupperdor get's put into commission ;-)
- Thomas

Cfickter

Quotetvolball - 3/16/2014  8:04 AM  I lay a piece of cedar in the bottom and lay them on top of it.

X2  I would hope if you use zip lock bags that you don't seal the bag inside the Tupperdore!

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

tvolball

Toby thanks for that site. Didn't know about it. Ill be spending some money there. The trays would work great for what I'm have in mind.
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

hebron

So, this is probably me being paranoid, but: When I had cleaned, dried in the sun and had a dish of baking soda in my tupperdor I could not detect any plastic smell. I have added some cedar plates and sheets to it and a couple of Boveda packs. And now I think I might detect a tiny hint of plastic...

Not really sure if this is just my mind playing tricks on me, or if it's really there. But I have some sticks from fellow geeks coming in and I really don't want them to taste like plastic.

So question is this, if there is a tiny hint of plastic; will the cedar and cigars overpower it?
- Thomas

hebron

- Thomas

nwb

As the cedar sits, my gut feeling is it would be aromatic enough to keep any plastic smell (especially if it is faint) from doing anything to your cigars.
Chief of Shaft

Joelala

Yeah. I would say you are fine. Fill it up.
Joe

Cigary

Having at least 15 tupperadors I can attest to having cedar in it...esp.at the bottom.  I use empty cigar boxes to put cigars in and then use the lids to put more cigars on top of that.  Tupperadors if done right are as good as any wood humidor there is as I have some that are well over $500 and if I could start over I'd have stopped at the 250 count wood humidor and the rest tupperware.

hebron

Thanks guys, I was worried for my incoming sticks. You took care of that  :cigarman:
- Thomas

gitfiddl

I've always just used cedar sheets from boxes (and even sleeves from cigars) to line the bottom.  Many moons ago, it was fairly common to have humidors lined with copper or glass.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

gitfiddl

Quotehebron - 3/16/2014  11:32 AM

Quotetoby2 - 3/16/2014  4:12 PM

Thanks for the link Toby, that's the cheapest I've found them :-) I'm ordering some of those as soon as my large tupperdor get's put into commission ;-)

The bottoms of those trays are MDF and not solid Spanish cedar.  I'm not sure when they changed.  I had some several years ago that I sold or traded to another Geek when I bailed on my frigidor.  I thought mine were solid cedar, but I can't be sure.  I might wonder about MDF in a constant 65-70% humidified environment.  If I were to do it again, I'd go with these and use the shopping link for Cuban Crafters here at CG:  http://www.cubancrafters.com/cigar-humidor-trays-for-clasico-rojo-and-clasico-rosa-humidors/
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Mojo66

Don't think you want MDF at constant high humidity, at least not with your cigars. Not only will it not control RH, it may rot, smell and "contaminate" your precious cigars. It is made with a formaldehyde based bonding agent after all. But then again, maybe someone's been using a MDF made humidor with great results...

Just my $0.02
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

hebron

Does it matter as long is it is lined with cedar? The MDF would be exposed directly to the air...
- Thomas

quickme

Have you thought about using a jar?    The Jars cost me $5 each and they have a Boveda pack in them.  I've lined both jars with Cedar.  One jar is used for my Bombed Sticks ( don't want others touching those) and the other one is used for aging.  ( just starting with these sticks so only 2 months on them :) )

LawDaddy

Quotequickme - 3/20/2014  8:42 AM

Have you thought about using a jar?    The Jars cost me $5 each and they have a Boveda pack in them.  I've lined both jars with Cedar.  One jar is used for my Bombed Sticks ( don't want others touching those) and the other one is used for aging.  ( just starting with these sticks so only 2 months on them :) )

I keep infused cigars in a jar like that to keep them away from the good stuff.

hebron

Quotequickme - 3/20/2014  3:42 PM

I haven't, but that is a good idea. They have them at the local hardware shop for $6, gonna get me some of those :-)

Thanks  :cigarman:
- Thomas

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.