Distilled or PG with Wet Foam

Started by 05Venturer, 03/24/2014 12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

05Venturer

I have a large piece of wet foam in a tupperware container for added humidity in my Ziplocador. I have only used distilled water and so far so good. I have heard a few horror stories of mold growth with this. Should I be using PG instead of distilled water?
Thanks in advance all!! :bow:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

The Burn Ward

Quote05Venturer - 3/24/2014  3:30 PM

I have a large piece of wet foam in a tupperware container for added humidity in my Ziplocador. I have only used distilled water and so far so good. I have heard a few horror stories of mold growth with this. Should I be using PG instead of distilled water?

In tupperdors and ziplocks never use foam anything; you will get mold. Use a couple 65-69% boveda packs.

05Venturer

QuoteThe Burn Ward - 3/24/2014  2:38 PM

Quote05Venturer - 3/24/2014  3:30 PM

In tupperdors and ziplocks never use foam anything; you will get mold. Use a couple 65-69% boveda packs.

I have 3 Boveda 65's in there and just use the foam after I have done some sorting or arranging to help bring back the humidity a bit quicker. Then I pull it out after a day. I also run a small fan once or twice a week in it. I should have clarified that on the OP.
Kent

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

bstessl

Is there a good place to order the boveda packs?
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

Jackal

Quotebstessl - 3/24/2014  1:11 PM

Famous tends to have the best prices if you can catch them during a Monster Mash up.

Amazon carries them too.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

nirab

Quotebstessl - 3/24/2014  3:11 PM

Check ebay too. I just got a box of 72% for $34 including shipping.  :biggrin:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

tvolball

"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

ROTHNH

Kent, you can use "florist foam" moistened with "PG solution" (50%/50% propylene glycol and distilled water) -- the solution is sold online, such as Cigars International (3 8 oz. containers for $10).  Simply place the foam in a suitable plastic container, and drill holes in the cover.  You can monitor proper humidity with a hygrometer, recharging the foam with more solution when needed.

Boveda packs (65% RH are best) work very well and are reliable, but are expensive, particularly if the plan is to rely on the packs to humidify a large container because you'll need a bunch of them.

Heartfelt Beads are also an effective and reliable method.

I also suggest you peruse the CG article on using Kitty Litter" for humidification -- a very inexpensive, reliable method.

bstessl

In my tupperdor I have a container of crystals with homemade PG/DW and a boveda, we will see how it works out.
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

Jackal

Just remember with PG solution to initially charge with PG and to top off with water.  The water will evaporate preferentially to the PG, so as long as you don't let things dry out, you will only ever be evaporating water.  Replacing lost fluid with PG solution puts you into a death spiral where you keep increasing your PG to water ratio until it no longer is effective.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

05Venturer

QuoteJackal - 3/24/2014  6:07 PM

Just remember with PG solution to initially charge with PG and to top off with water.  The water will evaporate preferentially to the PG, so as long as you don't let things dry out, you will only ever be evaporating water.  Replacing lost fluid with PG solution puts you into a death spiral where you keep increasing your PG to water ratio until it no longer is effective.

Thanks Jackal :thumbsup:
Kent

Cigary

Been using Tupperware for years and use KL with distilled water and it works perfectly.  I've used floral foam in the past and regretted it every time because of the mold and bacteria which sets up within a year.  Boveda paks are nice but if you have large Tupperadors like I do it can get expensive quick.  For a 2.5 gallon size Rubber Maid I use a full cup of KL and it keeps it any RH I choose and most sit at 67%.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.