My Tupperdor

Started by bstessl, 03/24/2014 02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bstessl

So, I finally got some empty boxes to throw in my Tupperdor.  Hopefully this thing will show that I can accomplish something... lol!!
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

hebron

Cool, looks good, and a lot of room :biggrin: I just put in the first batch of cigars in mine, which is tiny compared to yours... Getting large airtight boxes seems to be more challenging than one would imagine over here...

- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

bstessl

looks like yours is working out well!

hebron

Quotebstessl - 3/24/2014  10:58 PM

looks like yours is working out well!
It does the job, will probably be filled in no time... As will yours I guess  :shades: I've bought some glass jars that I am going to try out next.
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

Mojo66

You sure did accomplish something. Good job.

The next thing you'll accomplish is filling it, which always comes sooner than anticipated... more so if you come here often.

Better get a new empty one while there is still time :biggrin:

"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

kxthor911

Nice, bravo fellows.
Hello my name is Nick and I just bought a box of... (courtesy of Stephen and Rob(serious cigars))

Yes its fast, no you cant drive it.

Cigary

That's how it's done.  I have 21 Tupperadors and every single one works just as good as my $700 wood humidor...wish I'd known that 15 years ago.

toby2

nice. hope they stackable...:-)

BewareDaPenguin

QuoteCigary - 3/24/2014  7:16 PM

That's how it's done.  I have 21 Tupperadors

Holy crap Gary??? I stopped reading after that  :respekt:
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

bstessl

21, that's impressive!  As far as filing it, going to wait a few days to see how the humidity goes, then hopefully throw some sticks in it.

Cfickter

Looks great, but don't they fill up fast!
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

bstessl

QuoteCfickter - 3/24/2014  9:39 PM

Looks great, but don't they fill up fast!

IDK yet... :whistle:

hebron

I find myself already planning for the next one...  :cigarman:
- Thomas

bstessl

Gee.. I hope its because the box's are dry, but Im reading 35% in there right now...

hebron

Quotebstessl - 3/25/2014  7:37 AM

Gee.. I hope its because the box's are dry, but Im reading 35% in there right now...
Did you season it? I put a shot glass of distilled water in mine for a few days, to season the cedar. When I had around 70% RH I removed the shot glass and let it stabilize with the humidification device. When the humidity was stable at my target value I put in the sticks.
- Thomas

bstessl

I just put the boxes in today with the dish of crystals and 50/50 and a boveda, I figured it would take a bit to season, thats just after 11/12 hours

hebron

Quotebstessl - 3/25/2014  8:09 AM

I just put the boxes in today with the dish of crystals and 50/50 and a boveda, I figured it would take a bit to season, thats just after 11/12 hours
I think I'd put in a shallow dish of distilled water as well, to speed up the process. Then when the humidity is high enough remove it, and let it stabilize.
- Thomas

bstessl

I will give that a try

bstessl

Well, I am up to 67% now.  Should I wait and see if it levels out before I start using it?  It has been climbing about 2% a day.

hebron

Quotebstessl - 4/2/2014  12:01 PM

Well, I am up to 67% now.  Should I wait and see if it levels out before I start using it?  It has been climbing about 2% a day.
What level are you targeting? I would let it rise a bit over that, then remove the distilled water and let it stabilize. Once it's stable, add your cigars in batches; so you don't throw off the humidity. Once it has "recovered"; next batch :-)
- Thomas

bstessl

I'm thinking around 65/67% would be good.  I guess I will take the DW out and see what happens.

hebron

Quotebstessl - 4/2/2014  12:15 PM

I'm thinking around 65/67% would be good.  I guess I will take the DW out and see what happens.
What you want is the cedar boxes to be saturated, so that they no longer absorbs moisture. If 65-67% is your target and you have 67% now I would leave the DW in for longer, let it reach 70%. It's better to leave in too long, than to remove it prematurely.
- Thomas

bstessl

bstessl

Ready to go and transferred some sticks over to their new (temporary) home.

DonM

You guys are going to put humidor manufacturers out of business!!   Seriously though, looking good

"The Curmudgeon"

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.