Boveda in contact with the cigars?

Started by hebron, 03/25/2014 09:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hebron

Following a comment by Nathan that the Boveda packs should not come into direct contact with the cigars, as this could cause mold; I wanted to ask the geeks if any if you have any experience with this? My Boveda packs are touching the cigars, and the Boveda homepage says it's safe.

But empirical knowledge would me much appreciated  :cigarman:
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

cavenbk

I just throw my Bovedas in the humis and in contact with the sticks. I have never had a problem with mold, knock on wood. To be quite honest, I never even considered it could be an issue. Just my experience.
You can judge the character of a man by the things he laughs at.

"A man's true character comes out when he's drunk."     - Charles Chaplin

05Venturer

Mine are in contact with the sticks and I have yet to see any issues as of yet.
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

The Burn Ward

I use 67% or 69% and place them directly on top of cello'd cigars. No issues of any kind.

benchjockey

Quote05Venturer - 3/25/2014  12:33 PM  Mine are in contact with the sticks and I have yet to see any issues as of yet.

X2

You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

Cigary

I'm inclined to follow the manufacturers advice.

Mojo66

As a rule of thumb, I try to keep any humidification device away from my cigars. It might not be necessary with the Bovedas (and the likes) but I always follow the "better safe than sorry" rule when it comes to my cigars.

I'd rather start a new humi (or equivalent) when short on space than pack one, forcing the cigars to touch or be close to my humidification devices, whatever it might be.

But that's just me.
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

CrazyK

Yeah I just throw mine in and I have yet to have any mold issues.
CrazyK
--------------------------
Simia demulcta mitis

nwb

Well, looks like you might be safe!  One thing I should have clarified - I wouldn't place them touching un-celloed cigars.  If the cigars are celloed, then you have some protection.
Chief of Shaft

Ken Kelley

Quotenwb - 3/25/2014  1:07 AM

Well, looks like you might be safe!  One thing I should have clarified - I wouldn't place them touching un-celloed cigars.  If the cigars are celloed, then you have some protection.

Want some bacon and eggs with that waffle?  :biggrin:

Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

Jackal

I have had mold on naked cigars touching a boveda for long periods of time.  With celloed cigars, no problems.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Vroomp

Glad to hear this because I throw those things in there all the time but, I try not to leave them in contact with un-celloed sticks!
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

tvolball

"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

bmac7754

I have some directly on top of my cigars and have never seen any issues.  I also keep my cigars in the cello, so I don't know if touching non-cello cigars would make a difference or not
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

Faba225

This is very inspirational story, I like to have one of those that you enjoyed there.   :-)

Caveman Steve

I've since gone to electronic humidification, but I always left the Boveda 65% packs in direct contact with my uncelloed sticks. Never had a problem.........Now I'm sure you're totally back at square one! 
"yesterday I did nothing, and today I'm finishing what I did yesterday"

conditionZero

QuoteFaba225 - 3/25/2014  3:21 PM  This is very inspirational story, I like to have one of those that you enjoyed there.   :-)

I also found this to be very inspirational.

--JOE--

I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.  Joe E. Lewis

LawDaddy

hebron

Thanks for all your inputs guys, nothing beats the shared experiences of the geeks :-)

I'm going to keep the Boveda packs away from my uncelloed sticks. But for short term storage, such as a travel case or zip-lock bag it seems to be fine.
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

Cigary

QuoteJackal - 3/25/2014  1:27 PM  I have had mold on naked cigars touching a boveda for long periods of time.  With celloed cigars, no problems.

Cello is your friend...this post proves it.  

gitfiddl

I've never had any mold issues with Boveda packs with nekked cigars.  As for cellos, I know many professional string musicians that use Boveda packs in their instrument cases.  
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Rebecca Silverwolf

I've had bovedas on my celloed cigars with no problems. I avoid putting them on uncelloed cigars.
"Well, we may not have parted on the best of terms. I realize certain words were exchanged. Also certain... bullets."

"If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

-Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Blgove

Iv'e never let the Bovedas touch the  naked sticks. I know I've read that somewhere. Why take any chances?

I'm also inspired by all this Geek wisdom wafting  around.  And for sure, I didn't know you could smoke guitar strings! Gitfiddl just said!!! :biggrin:

"The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee hapiness, only the pursuit of it.  You have to catch up with it yourself"  

Benjamin Franklin

The Burn Ward

Quotegitfiddl - 3/25/2014  8:13 PM

I've never had any mold issues with Boveda packs with nekked cigars.  As for cellos, I know many professional string musicians that use Boveda packs in their instrument cases.  

http://www.guitarhumidor.com/

It would be cool to use one as a cigar humidor.

Cfickter

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.