Bought my first pipe today....

Started by StogieDad, 03/25/2014 12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StogieDad

I had been leaning towards trying a pipe just to see what the fuss is about.  Smoked cigars for 12+ years and never tried a pipe.  Didn't want to go crazy, and not looking to smoke it that often since I do LOVE my cigars.  I won a sampler of all seven Drew Estate pipe blends on C-bid for $28, and a Big Ben Ranger for $25.  Went to the B&M today and bought a "basket pipe" for $30, gave me some house blend and stuff to go with it.  Also picked up a tin of Dunhill Nightcap after reading good things on here.

Just thought it would be a occasional lunch-time treat, nights in the garage if I don't want to freeze/stink up the whole garage, who knows, maybe I don't like it and never touch it again.  Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on something I might enjoy.

Wish me luck!

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Mojo66

Good luck then... and let us know how it was.

I've smoked pipes with my father (may he rest in peace) but haven't since he died 20 years ago. Maybe it's time I tried it again.
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

StogieDad

Definitely not to replace my cigars, just a change of pace every once in a while.  But wanted some decent stuff so I could get a good bearing on if I like it or not.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

ThinBlueLine

Man I'm jealous I have been wanting to make a Purchase similar to yours just to see what all the fuss is about too!  Let me know how it goes
I enjoy romantic walks to my humidors...

lubrix

----
Guru of ruining the moment.

toby2

:cool:  I smoke a pipe almost daily and if I had to give cigars or pipes up I would stick with pipes. but who wants to do that  :biggrin:

sjn1117

I did the same thing and I found I love it. It's definitely different but in a good way. I've found that Nightcapto be awesome myself. Enjoy bro!
why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

BewareDaPenguin

Bada$$...looks tasty! My bro is the pipe smoker but I wouldn't be opposed to doing what you did there! For sure keep us posted I'll be interested to see how you like it!
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

05Venturer

My suggestion would be to pick up a Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob pipe or 2 also. That basket pipe may be a good one but briar needs some rest time between smokes and starting out with a pipe there is nothing better than a MM Cob in my humble opinion.

Good luck and keep us posted.
I love my cobs and some Nightcap or good old Carter Hall
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

StogieDad

Quote05Venturer - 3/25/2014  4:08 PM

My suggestion would be to pick up a Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob pipe or 2 also. That basket pipe may be a good one but briar needs some rest time between smokes and starting out with a pipe there is nothing better than a MM Cob in my humble opinion.

Thanks Kent!  I bought that second Ranger for that reason, just to have a second pipe, its kinda small I think.  I don't plan on smoking it many back to back days really, but i may pick a corn cob as well just to have around, especially if I like the first few smokes.
-- Winston Churchill

-- Abraham Lincoln

-- Ron Swanson

Faba225

wow, your pipe looks great, I hope you enjoyed your pipe very much and if you do so then please share more story on it because i really like to know what is your felling about it.  

tvolball

Hope it's all you want it to be.
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

Cigary

I went back to pipe smoking a few months ago and stocked up on enough tobacco for the next few years.  Bought 2 Savinelli Pipes that smoke amazing to ensure that I keep this hobby going.  Between cigars and pipes I think I'm good unless the wine hobby continues to smack me around...have been to the Napa region a few times and each time I go I buy a case of wine to send back home...I'm doomed!

nirab

Please keep us posted! I have been on the fence regarding this pipe business for a while now. Almost took the jump this weekend, but the budget just ain't there yet. With the wife back in school, books and tuition take front seat to my cigar purchases, so a pipe is out of the question for now.  :-)
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

LawDaddy

I tried a pipe last summer but could never keep the dang thing lit.

Caveman Steve

QuoteLawDaddy - 3/25/2014  4:44 PM  I tried a pipe last summer but could never keep the dang thing lit.

I bought a Savinelli pipe years ago just to check it out, but it never caught on for me.  Too much work, and I agree, keeping it lit was a big issue!

Since then, my pipe disappeared for a while before I found it in my sons room one day smelling of something other than tobacco (ahem)....and he didn't leave any for me!!!....The nerve of some people. 

"yesterday I did nothing, and today I'm finishing what I did yesterday"

ROTHNH

Some months ago, I went back to smoking my pipes a lot more often than cigars and haven't looked back.

The justification is that I have a couple dozen pipes and a cellar of pipe tobacco.  Thus, pipes and tobacco are a lot less expensive than cigars.  Further, now that I'm retired, pipes are a better choice and smoking my pipes are a boatload less expensive than cigars.

I still smoke cigars (like 1-2 a week now), but smoke 2-3 bowlfuls of pipe tobacco a day.

I enjoy both.  I recommend those of you who haven't smoked a pipe, particularly if cost is a consideration for you, to try smoking a pipe.  Like Kent says, start with a Missouri Meerschaum corn cob (less than $10) and an ounce or two of bulk tobacco.

ROTHNH

Now up: G.L Pease Jack Knife Plug, in a Wessex Classic sandblast cumberland prince.

gitfiddl

I smoke a bowl or three a month in a couple pipes that were handed down to me from my Dad, one of which was my Grandfather's.  I doubt pipes will ever replace cigars for me, but I do enjoy them as a change of pace.

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Cigary

Ok brothers...for those of you who say they can't afford it..you're wrong.  Pipe tobacco is much cheaper than cigars and when you consider that even pipe tobacco is a commodity that we can ...excuse the expression...Pipe Bomb others...don't let that cause you not to try it.  LawDaddy...it's very easy to keep them lit...there is a way to pack the bowl and have it going for at least a 1/2 hour...it's all in the packing.

ROTHNH

StogieDad

Tried a bowl of the house blend stuff at lunch, mainly jsut to see the whole mechanics of it.  The tobacco had almost no flavor, very, very mild.  On the bright side, it smoked fine, and while I had to relight a couple of times, it was because I let it sit.  Will give it a whirl next time with some decent stuff, and see what I really think of the flavor.  Not a bad start, just to break in the pipe and get a feel though.
-- Winston Churchill

-- Abraham Lincoln

-- Ron Swanson

toby2

QuoteStogieDad - 3/27/2014  3:53 PM  Tried a bowl of the house blend stuff at lunch, mainly jsut to see the whole mechanics of it.  The tobacco had almost no flavor, very, very mild.  On the bright side, it smoked fine, and while I had to relight a couple of times, it was because I let it sit.  Will give it a whirl next time with some decent stuff, and see what I really think of the flavor.  Not a bad start, just to break in the pipe and get a feel though.

I actually like breaking in a new pipe. it's fun building the cake and tasting the new briar slowly go away and the sweetness of the tobacco start to come into its own

it took me years to get smoking a pipe down to a second nature type thing. I quit and started back several times before that and I think that is about the norm for most folks. 

Smurf

orbis non sufficit

Cigary

Quotenirab - 3/25/2014  4:38 PM  Please keep us posted! I have been on the fence regarding this pipe business for a while now. Almost took the jump this weekend, but the budget just ain't there yet. With the wife back in school, books and tuition take front seat to my cigar purchases, so a pipe is out of the question for now.  :-)

Jump feet first....try a corn  cob to keep the cost down...get a decent tobacco that's mild and just enjoy it...cheaper than cigars.  Do it....do it.....do it!

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.