Temperature swings during night and day time (update: it got hot!)

Started by hebron, 03/31/2014 11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hebron

So spring is arriving in Norway, but still the evenings and nights are pretty cold. I've moved my humidor and tupperdors into the bedroom, as the other rooms get quite hot during the day (high 70s).

I've read all the threads about high temperatures, and I don't really expect the bedroom to surpass 75'F for longer periods of time.

But what worries me a bit is the temperature swings in the bedroom, even without having any windows open it can still fluctuates between 65'F during the night and 73'F during the day. I expect the swings to become less as the spring progresses, as the night become warmer.

The humidor and tupperdors are stored in the closet, so the temperature rate is probably a bit slower than the ambient temperature.

I'll easily admit I am a bit OCD about my storing conditions , but at what temperature swings should I start to worry?
:?:
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

DonM

Thomas, I live in FL and today we are going from a low of 45 to a high of 80, talk about temp swings!  The high temp/high humidity is what you need to be concerned with.  Some will disagree but as long as you are below 75 degrees you will be fine

"The Curmudgeon"

gitfiddl

QuoteDonM - 4/1/2014  8:12 AM

Thomas, I live in FL and today we are going from a low of 45 to a high of 80, talk about temp swings!  The high temp/high humidity is what you need to be concerned with.  Some will disagree but as long as you are below 75 degrees you will be fine

:word:
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

tvolball

Yeah I'll pretty agree. Never really had problems with mine
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

MT21

I live in the upper left corner of the good old US of A.  I rarely have to be concerned with high temps.  If the Southeast Geeks say you're fine, I'd rest in that.
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."

Gurkha free zone.

Cfickter

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Jackal

That is not enough of a temp swing to cause any issues.  A really big swing in a short period of time could cause wrapper cracking, but it would probably need a 20*C shift withing a couple of hours.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

hebron

- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

Cigar&Coffee

I live in the arid desert, so I am able to control the humidity but the temps get pretty warm.  If I keep 65% RH but the temp is 80 degrees, what type of problems might I encounter?

Rebecca Silverwolf

QuoteCigar&Coffee - 4/17/2014  10:59 PM

I live in the arid desert, so I am able to control the humidity but the temps get pretty warm.  If I keep 65% RH but the temp is 80 degrees, what type of problems might I encounter?

Higher temps do increase the likelihood of mold growth, even at 65% RH. Also, 80 degrees is around the temp where beetles like to hatch.

Living in a semi-arid area myself, with some rather hot summers, I keep all my sticks in coolers. When it gets hot, I rotate blocks of blue ice through the coolers to keep them cold.
"Well, we may not have parted on the best of terms. I realize certain words were exchanged. Also certain... bullets."

"If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

-Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Cigar&Coffee

QuoteRebecca Silverwolf - 4/17/2014  11:37 PM

Higher temps do increase the likelihood of mold growth, even at 65% RH. Also, 80 degrees is around the temp where beetles like to hatch.

Living in a semi-arid area myself, with some rather hot summers, I keep all my sticks in coolers. When it gets hot, I rotate blocks of blue ice through the coolers to keep them cold.

That is a great idea!  Thanks so much for the advice.  What temp do you maintain in the cooler?

Rebecca Silverwolf

QuoteCigar&Coffee - 4/18/2014  2:14 PM

QuoteRebecca Silverwolf - 4/17/2014  11:37 PM

That is a great idea!  Thanks so much for the advice.  What temp do you maintain in the cooler?

I typically change the ice out twice a day in the hottest part of the summer, only once if the nighttime temperatures are fairly cool. Doing that, I can usually keep the coolers around 72 degrees, in a room with no air conditioning.
"Well, we may not have parted on the best of terms. I realize certain words were exchanged. Also certain... bullets."

"If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

-Captain Malcolm Reynolds

hebron

Quotehebron - 4/1/2014  8:42 AM

I've read all the threads about high temperatures, and I don't really expect the bedroom to surpass 75'F for longer periods of time.
Well, it did surpass 75'F and got closer to 80'F... So, meet the newest member of the family, Mr. Air Conditioner. Now it's around 70'F, and since my cigars are stashed in the bedroom closet it even makes sleeping there more pleasant. Bonus! :bigthumbs:
- Thomas

Blgove

Ive had my cigars stored in my bedroom first in coolidors, then tupedors, and finally a cabinet (3000 ct.), for almost a year. Our winters are mild (northern CA), and our summers hot and dry. In my bedroom, temperatures  fluctuate between 45 & 65 during the winter, and 55 & 75 in the summer. These  temps don't fluctuate that much inside my humidor, and i would guess the temperature doesn't fluctuate more than 6 or 7 degrees. No problem with my smokes. I think humidity is more important. I'm sure high temps can speed up whatever is going on with the aging process, but humidity, particularly over 70% can create an environment that favors tobacco beetles and/or mold which can trash your collection  :-( . I know a lot a geeks have years more experience than me, but i'm just sayin, this has worked for me. I would concentrate on trying to insulate your cigars as much as possible.

Bruce :biggrin:
"The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee hapiness, only the pursuit of it.  You have to catch up with it yourself"  

Benjamin Franklin

hebron

QuoteBlgove - 5/25/2014  7:42 AM

Ive had my cigars stored in my bedroom first in coolidors, then tupedors, and finally a cabinet (3000 ct.), for almost a year. Our winters are mild (northern CA), and our summers hot and dry. In my bedroom, temperatures  fluctuate between 45 & 65 during the winter, and 55 & 75 in the summer. These  temps don't fluctuate that much inside my humidor, and i would guess the temperature doesn't fluctuate more than 6 or 7 degrees. No problem with my smokes. I think humidity is more important. I'm sure high temps can speed up whatever is going on with the aging process, but humidity, particularly over 70% can create an environment that favors tobacco beetles and/or mold which can trash your collection  :-( . I know a lot a geeks have years more experience than me, but i'm just sayin, this has worked for me. I would concentrate on trying to insulate your cigars as much as possible.

Bruce :biggrin:
I have a couple of glass jars, a humidor and some tupperdors in our bedroom at the moment. They sit in the closet and some drawers, so they do not experience the same temperature variation as the rest of the room. At least not as quick. I have 65% Boveda packs in the tupperdors and 69% in the wood humidor. So humidity-wise I think I am OK.

The summers here vary a lot from year to year, some have been as hot as Ibiza, others wet and cold. This year looks to be a warm one. The setup I have at the moment is just temporary, as we are renting an apartment but looking to buy. We hope to find something over the summer, with a basement I might add :-) I have big plans for that basement  :cigarman:
- Thomas

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.