Senate Passes Children’s Health Plan

Started by ljlemer, 09/28/2007 02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ljlemer

Senate Passes Children's Health Plan

By ROBERT PEAR
Published: September 28, 2007

WASHINGTON, Sept. 27 — The Senate gave final approval on Thursday to a health insurance bill for 10 million children, clearing the measure for President Bush, who said he would veto it.

The 67-29 vote followed a series of speeches by Republican senators supporting the bill and urging Mr. Bush to reconsider his veto threat.

Senator Pat Roberts of Kansas, one of 18 Republicans who voted for the bill, said the White House had shown "little if any willingness to come to the negotiating table."
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

theoldcc

And so it begins...well let's see what Bush does now.
"The most interesting information comes from children, for
they tell all they know and then stop." - Mark Twain
My Smokes

Proph

Wanna know how nonsense like this actually makes it through?  

Watch.. and be disgusted!

Click Here
"Do not be too timid or squeamish about your actions, all life is an experiment." -Ralph W. Emerson

monteclaro

QuoteProph - 9/29/2007  4:31 PM

Wanna know how nonsense like this actually makes it through?  

Watch.. and be disgusted!

Click Here

That's pathetic and humerous.  What a bunch of hippocrates.  These are the folks that are making laws for us.  That's pretty scary.
Hmmm...what to smoke, what to smoke...
http://www.cigargeeks.com/humidor/default....mber=monteclaro

Proph

Despite being met with a large majority of votes in the senate, US President, George W Bush has vetoed a bill to expand a health care insurance scheme designated for children.

The bill called for a higher tax rate on tobacco products in order to provide the extra $35bn needed for the scheme which according to polls was supported by an estimated 70% of Americans.

Mr Bush argued that the increase takes the scheme beyond its initially set objectives of insuring children from low-income families.
"Do not be too timid or squeamish about your actions, all life is an experiment." -Ralph W. Emerson

ljlemer

Some of us have chosen our love of cigars over the health of our nation's children. It was their fault (not the kids) for trying to place the responsibility for paying for the bill on cigar smokers shoulders. And cigarette smokers too, if they are oblivious enough to still buy manufactured cigarettes instead of rolling their own.

Thomas Mann

Proph

:lmao:

You make it sound funny.

If the system wasn't so corrupt and mismanaged and etc., then there would never be a choice between "health" and cigars/cigarettes, and everyone would be good to go.  The health care offered wasn't health care anyways, so I really don't feel bad at all, kids are better of NOT going to those killers.  Doctors are one of the leading causes of death in this country, and there's a reason they buy millions of dollars in malpractice insurance.  Real health is prevention, through proper diet and lifestyle choices, and the only doctors that really help ppl are either holistic/naturopathic/Etc. or emergency doctors who actually save lives of those who aren't in a state to help themselves.  

I'll enjoy my cigars.

monteclaro

QuoteProph - 10/3/2007  1:36 PM

Despite being met with a large majority of votes in the senate, US President, George W Bush has vetoed a bill to expand a health care insurance scheme designated for children.

The bill called for a higher tax rate on tobacco products in order to provide the extra $35bn needed for the scheme which according to polls was supported by an estimated 70% of Americans.

Mr Bush argued that the increase takes the scheme beyond its initially set objectives of insuring children from low-income families.

:dancing:  Now what do I do with the stockpiles of pre-tax cigars i bought???  Guess i'll be busy.   ;-)

JF

theoldcc

QuoteProph - 10/3/2007  1:36 PM

:singing:  :bigthumbs:  :party:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :dancing:  :dancing:  :dancing:
"The most interesting information comes from children, for
they tell all they know and then stop." - Mark Twain
My Smokes

ljlemer

The Congress will likely override Bush with a watered down bill that makes fewer increases. I don't see how that will lower the cigar tax, though. I read everywhere about the tax on cigarettes, but nowhere about the cigar tax and its effect on a struggling industry. Weep for the poor cigar smoker, forced to take up pipe smoking!

Thomas Mann

Proph

I guess I better learn how to keep a pipe lit.  And start my own plant in my back yard.

ljlemer

I wrote Congressman Wexler, my rep in the House, and got a detailed reply. Below is the specific part that galls me:

The excise tax rates passed under H.R. 976 are detailed under Section 701 of the bill, which states that the rate on cigars would be amended to "$50 per thousand" (52.988 percent on cigars removed after December 31, 2007)" and a cap of "$3 per cigar."  The rate on cigarettes would be amended to "$50 per thousand, and amendments were also included for cigarette papers, cigarette tubes, smokeless tobacco, pipe tobacco and roll-your-own tobacco.  While these amendments are a marked increase over the established tax code, I believe they are fair and necessary in providing funding for SCHIP.

I notice those rolling their own or using smokeless tobacco are also hit hard. This is nothing short of creeping Prohibition.

Thomas Mann

monteclaro

A cap of $3 per cigar!  Jeez what a bite in the ass.  Thanks for sharing Larry.

ljlemer

Quotemonteclaro - 10/11/2007  11:06 PM

A cap of $3 per cigar!  Jeez what a bite in the ass.  Thanks for sharing Larry.

I can handle a $15 cigar going up to $18. It's the $1.50 cigars going up to $3.00 that worry me.

Thomas Mann

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.