Tupperdor container: Does it have to have a rubber seal?

Started by hebron, 04/05/2014 12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hebron

I've been looking for airtight tupperware boxes with rubber seals for some time now, and the largest I have been able to get my hands on is 1 gallon. This works great for singles, but is just to small for boxes (pictures). I have been looking for Rubbermaid online and on eBay, and it seems that I am able to get them shipped here but the shipping cost is almost $50...

But, I have found multiple shops that sells a type without a rubber seal. Will this work? The clips does shut the lid pretty tight, but I'm sure it's not 100% airtight. These are both cheap and easy to get, but can I use them as tupperdors?

I think coolers are easier to get, but I really like the ability to stack the plastic boxes.
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

Ken Kelley

No need to worry about a container that doesn't have a rubber seal and isn't totally airtight. I have had great success with Rubber Maid products from Walmart. They have a tight fitting plastic lid and keep humidity levels within acceptable limits & have done so for the past several years. I use the cake box size which can easily hold 50 or so cigars, depending on size. I use either Heartfelt Humidity beads in a nylon stocking wrapper or a plastic box with kitty litter to maintain humidity levels and haven't had any problems at all. I also toss in a few Spanish cedar planks left over from my humidor construction efforts and the odd cedar pieces from cigar boxes just to add to the humidity buffering efforts.
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

05Venturer

I personally think anything without an airtight seal is gonna cause issues.
If I have time at work tonight I will try to find the Ziplock container that both myself and Brian have, and post a link if possible.
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Ken Kelley

Quote05Venturer - 4/5/2014  4:34 AM

If I have time at work tonight I will try to find the Ziplock container that both myself and Brian have, and post a link if possible.

Yup! And even the RubberMaid containers need to be opened every week or so to insure some air exchange...otherwise you're flirting with mold. Also helps a bit to keep cigars without cello wrappers from direct contact with the plastic or there is a possibility of condensation building up. I rotate my sticks in those containers about every month...bottom to top. Usually I take care of this chore while rooting through them to find what I want to smoke!  :biggrin:

05Venturer

QuoteKen Kelley - 4/5/2014  3:47 PM

Yup! And even the RubberMaid containers need to be opened every week or so to insure some air exchange...otherwise you're flirting with mold. Also helps a bit to keep cigars without cello wrappers from direct contact with the plastic or there is a possibility of condensation building up. I rotate my sticks in those containers about every month...bottom to top. Usually I take care of this chore while rooting through them to find what I want to smoke!  :biggrin:

:confused:  :confused:  :confused:
Kent

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

05Venturer

Kent

StogieDad

I bought 2 large Rubbermaid Brutes from Lowes.  There is no rubber seal, but you can feel the seal when it slips over the edge.  Been extremely happy with these so far.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Cigary

Tupperadors.....there are all kinds and when it comes to a good seal you will want something that gives you a good seal because otherwise you will deal with RH issues if you don't buy a good unit.  I have 2 very large containers that don't have a seal and I have to work a bit more to keep my RH where I want it...not that it's a hassle as I only spritz it once a month to keep it at 67%.  The RubberMaids that do have a seal I only deal with them maybe once every 4 months so that makes it a bit more efficient plus I pop the top of it for a good air exchange once a week.

tvolball

I use the ones with rubber seals but I find you need to open them at least once and week for fresh air exchange
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

hebron

QuoteKen Kelley - 4/5/2014  10:47 PM

Wait... I am confused. Do you think I don't need to worry about the rubber seal and not being totally airtight? Or are you agreeing with Kent that this is going to cause issues?  :confused:
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

hebron

Quote05Venturer - 4/5/2014  11:20 PM

Here is one that looks damn near identical to mine

http://www.amazon.com/Iris-Water-Tight-Storage-Quart/dp/B003OXNISG

http://www.irisusainc.com/p-618-ucb-sd.aspx
That looks great. Problem is Amazon won't ship them to Norway and the only retail partner that we have in Norway (Staples) doesn't carry them.

I think I have to keep looking for something like Michael describes... Might buy one without a seal just to do some tests on it.
- Thomas

DonM

If you are using them for long term storage, I personally would seek one with a good seal.  If you are going into it every day or so, you are going to be breaking the seal often anyway so a tight fitting lid should be sufficient

"The Curmudgeon"

Ken Kelley

Quotehebron - 4/5/2014  11:52 AM

QuoteKen Kelley - 4/5/2014  10:47 PM

Wait... I am confused. Do you think I don't need to worry about the rubber seal and not being totally airtight? Or are you agreeing with Kent that this is going to cause issues?  :confused:

It should have a tight fitting lid but it doesn't necessarily have to be hermetically sealed. Even the best wood humidors are not air tight. I would be real nervous about leaving good cigars in an airtight box for extended periods without opening it every so often.

gitfiddl

I've used Glad brand containers like this one for over-flow (several months to a year), used them in passes, etc.  They are cheap and do the job.  And no, the one in the pic isn't holding cigars.  That's last night's jerk chicken.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Ken Kelley

Quotegitfiddl - 4/6/2014  1:46 AM

I've used Glad brand containers like this one for over-flow (several months to a year), used them in passes, etc.  They are cheap and do the job.  And no, the one in the pic isn't holding cigars.  That's last night's jerk chicken.

Ah, you've been jerking the ol' chicken again, eh, Dave? :biggrin:

Cfickter

Can't really add more here. Some solid advise give
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

gitfiddl

QuoteKen Kelley - 4/6/2014  2:11 PM

If it matters, Ken, I was thinking of you the whole time!

:-0

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

ntanner

Quotegitfiddl - 4/6/2014  2:23 PM

:lmao:
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

05Venturer

Quotegitfiddl - 4/6/2014  3:23 PM

Even looks like some lotion on the counter for the "jerk" chicken  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:
Does that go well with your coffee in the morn??  J/K couldn't pass that up  :rolleyes:  :lmao:
Kent

Ken Kelley

Quotegitfiddl - 4/6/2014  4:23 AM

:biggrin:

Blgove

And once again, a fine, well meaning thread goes right into the crapper :biggrin:

"The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee hapiness, only the pursuit of it.  You have to catch up with it yourself"  

Benjamin Franklin

johncw

This is going to be a newb questions but there might be others on here that don't know either.

Why do you need to open the tupidors once a week for free air exchange? Should I also be doing this with my coolidor?humidor?

Thanks,
John

Hot Stuff x

here in Korea they store kimchi in big-ass tupperwares, the kind that have rubber seals and the lids latch down on all four sides.  I have several of them that are about 4-gallons in size.  But i store my cigars in a Coleman cooler.  It requires almost no maintenance and keeps my stogies at about 67-68% RH.  I store it under the ol' lady's computer desk that never gets used since she bought a notebook computer.
LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

hebron

QuoteKen Kelley - 4/6/2014  3:16 PM

It should have a tight fitting lid but it doesn't necessarily have to be hermetically sealed. Even the best wood humidors are not air tight. I would be real nervous about leaving good cigars in an airtight box for extended periods without opening it every so often.
That was my thoughts as well, of course a wood humidor has a lot more wood to help retain the humidity.
- Thomas

hebron

Quotejohncw - 4/7/2014  4:12 AM

This is going to be a newb questions but there might be others on here that don't know either.

Why do you need to open the tupidors once a week for free air exchange? Should I also be doing this with my coolidor?humidor?

Thanks,
John
Oxygen is important to the aging process of the cigars, so it should be done with anything that is airtight. My understanding is that this also applies to humidors, but because they do allow for air to be replaced it doesn't have to done as often.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, before the thread derailed that is  :biggrin:
- Thomas

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.