humidor

Started by kspoorman, 04/15/2014 03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kspoorman

I filled my humidor for the first time last week.  When I did I noticed the humidity level start to increase.   I thought I would take the humidifier out for a short time and let the humidity drop.  It's been several days now and my humidor is holding at a 70% level with no humidifier at all.  Is this normal?

The Burn Ward

Quotekspoorman - 4/15/2014  6:42 AM

I filled my humidor for the first time last week.  When I did I noticed the humidity level start to increase.   I thought I would take the humidifier out for a short time and let the humidity drop.  It's been several days now and my humidor is holding at a 70% level with no humidifier at all.  Is this normal?

It is normal. Your cigars are humidifiers and the wood in your humidor is seasoned and holding moisture well.

kspoorman

Thanks, I'm new at this and was concerned.

Vroomp

Sounds like you got a good one to me!
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

ThinBlueLine

You could add some fragrance free kitty litter to help absorb some of that humidity and will more than likely drop your stash to around 65%rh
I enjoy romantic walks to my humidors...

Newbhunter

Sounds good to me too, except that 70 is a little high. I used to aim for that then had a couple problems (which have now been settled) now I aim closer to 65-68%. Its also better on the smoking experience as your sticks burn better and release the full pallette of flavour.

ROTHNH

Good advice here.

Ideal for my preferences is to keep my cigars at 63-66% RH.

DonM

As stated by Jared, new cigars in the humidor will change your RH, they hold humidity too.  I have noticed that the fuller your humidor is, the more stable the RH will be.  I agree with the 65 - 68% RH, your cigars will smoke better at the lower RH IMO

"The Curmudgeon"

Rebecca Silverwolf

If you want to decrease the humidity slowly, make sure to open up and air out your humidor every day. Rotate the sticks around too, to help avoid pockets of higher humidity.

Other than that, it sounds like you have a well seasoned humidor with a good seal, which will be nice once you get the RH dialed in. (Getting a new humidor settled can take a couple weeks.)
"Well, we may not have parted on the best of terms. I realize certain words were exchanged. Also certain... bullets."

"If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

-Captain Malcolm Reynolds

kspoorman

I appreciate the help guys.   Thanks

bmac7754

Sounds like a good seal you got there.  May I sugest using some boveda packs, they kind of shut themselves off after they reach a desired % and you don't have to worry about taking the other thing in and out.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

c.petree.1

For the record you should go ahead and start seasoning the next humidor.

hebron

Quotebmac7754 - 4/16/2014  2:13 AM

Sounds like a good seal you got there.  May I sugest using some boveda packs, they kind of shut themselves off after they reach a desired % and you don't have to worry about taking the other thing in and out.
x2, Boveda packs are awesome. I use 69% in my wood humidor, usually gived me 64-66%, and 65% in my tupperdors.
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

dddddmorgan

Quotec.petree.1 - 4/15/2014  5:55 PM  For the record you should go ahead and start seasoning the next humidor.

Agreed! ;-)

Molon Labe!

Cfickter

All good suggestions here.  Getting that first one dialed in is tough especially once you add the cigars. Keep a close on on the RH for a few weeks. It will find its norm.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

CigarPlace

I know this is an old thread but keep in mind to continually monitor your humidor. Here in Florida, most of the non-Summer season, my personal humidors rarely require any humidification at all. During the summer months, in my desktop I use one 4oz Xikar Humidifier jar. Forgive me, but I simply can't bring myself to use kitty litter with my cigars. I'll stick to products designed for cigar storage not cat urine.

nirab

QuoteCigarPlace - 6/16/2014  4:09 PM

I know this is an old thread but keep in mind to continually monitor your humidor. Here in Florida, most of the non-Summer season, my personal humidors rarely require any humidification at all. During the summer months, in my desktop I use one 4oz Xikar Humidifier jar. Forgive me, but I simply can't bring myself to use kitty litter with my cigars. I'll stick to products designed for cigar storage not cat urine.

LOL! I've always thought that too! :biggrin:  :lmao:  :lmao:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Jackal

It's kind of like your refrigerator/ freezer at home.  The more full it is, the easier it is to keep things cool and the less power that it draws.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

CigarPlace

Quotenirab - 6/16/2014  5:19 PM  
QuoteCigarPlace - 6/16/2014  4:09 PM  I know this is an old thread but keep in mind to continually monitor your humidor. Here in Florida, most of the non-Summer season, my personal humidors rarely require any humidification at all. During the summer months, in my desktop I use one 4oz Xikar Humidifier jar. Forgive me, but I simply can't bring myself to use kitty litter with my cigars. I'll stick to products designed for cigar storage not cat urine.

I think I might have to maintain a list of non-kitty litter users with whom to trade with. I'm guessing that stuff is probably not good for my allergies, chest congestion and such. Not that smoking is much better but I've cut SO far back it's scary.

The Burn Ward

QuoteCigarPlace - 6/17/2014  9:08 AM

Quotenirab - 6/16/2014  5:19 PM  
QuoteCigarPlace - 6/16/2014  4:09 PM  I know this is an old thread but keep in mind to continually monitor your humidor. Here in Florida, most of the non-Summer season, my personal humidors rarely require any humidification at all. During the summer months, in my desktop I use one 4oz Xikar Humidifier jar. Forgive me, but I simply can't bring myself to use kitty litter with my cigars. I'll stick to products designed for cigar storage not cat urine.

I think I might have to maintain a list of non-kitty litter users with whom to trade with. I'm guessing that stuff is probably not good for my allergies, chest congestion and such. Not that smoking is much better but I've cut SO far back it's scary.

Boveda is king, IMO.

scottvodka

I think I might be the only person who uses black ice to success...

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.