"A fine cigar is like a fine woman. They come in all shapes and sizes. Treat them tenderly and lovingly. Caress their skin, admire their beauty, fondle them with reverence. Bring them slowly to your lips, enjoy their flavor, their aroma. Contemplate their essence, their dependability, and forgive them their weaknesses - if there be any. Revel in the rituals, their simplicity and their enduring meanings. Do these things, my son, and the blessings of life shall always be upon you." -Prince Sined Yar Maharg

Main Menu

Humidor location, location, location.

Started by gitfiddl, 04/17/2014 07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitfiddl

I've noticed something interesting in the past few months.  The Boveda packs in the three humidors that I keep in the bedroom refuse to dry out.  I'm not complaing, mind you, but they still feel "fresh".  I put the packets in the humidors the end of November 2013, almost 5 months ago  I've got four 69% packets in each of the two 100-ct Tuscany humidors, and two in the smaller Yukon/Capri 50-ct.  The humidity, according to my Xikar hygrometer, in the three humidors is 66%, 67%, and 66% respectively.

By comparison, I find myself replacing the Boveda packets in my other humidors in the den and living every two to three months or so.  The humidity stays in the same range and the humidors are of similar quality as the ones in the bedroom.  

I would say I open the humidors equally, maybe 2-3 times a month.  The only real difference is the location.  Our bedroom is generally a few degrees cooler than the rest of the house during the day, and the adjacent "walk-in" shower gets used two or three times a day so there are brief periods when the ambient humidity may be a little higher.

Could the few degrees difference in temperature make that much of a difference?
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Ken Kelley

Quotegitfiddl - 4/16/2014  10:24 PM

I've noticed something interesting in the past few months.  The Boveda packs in the three humidors that I keep in the bedroom refuse to dry out.  I'm not complaing, mind you, but they still feel "fresh".  I put the packets in the humidors the end of November 2013, almost 5 months ago  I've got four 69% packets in each of the two 100-ct Tuscany humidors, and two in the smaller Yukon/Capri 50-ct.  The humidity, according to my Xikar hygrometer, in the three humidors is 66%, 67%, and 66% respectively.

By comparison, I find myself replacing the Boveda packets in my other humidors in the den and living every two to three months or so.  The humidity stays in the same range and the humidors are of similar quality as the ones in the bedroom.  

I would say I open the humidors equally, maybe 2-3 times a month.  The only real difference is the location.  Our bedroom is generally a few degrees cooler than the rest of the house during the day, and the adjacent "walk-in" shower gets used two or three times a day so there are brief periods when the ambient humidity may be a little higher.

Could be that the heavy breathing there in the bedroom might keep the humidity up a bit! As I dimly recall from many years ago, the windows of my car fogged up on the inside when I took my girlfriend to the drive-n theater. Could a similar thing be operative in this case?  :biggrin:
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

gitfiddl

QuoteKen Kelley - 4/17/2014  10:30 AM

Quotegitfiddl - 4/16/2014  10:24 PM

Could be that the heavy breathing there in the bedroom might keep the humidity up a bit! As I dimly recall from many years ago, the windows of my car fogged up on the inside when I took my girlfriend to the drive-n theater. Could a similar thing be operative in this case?  :biggrin:

I knew that one was coming. :shades:  

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Mojo66

All but 1 of my humis and coolerdors are in the basement and stay relatively stable all year long.

The one that is on the 1st floor, where it is warmer by a couple of degrees, requires more of my attention and has to be refilled (beads) more often. So I'd say yes, a couple of degrees (and RH difference in the room) would make a difference.
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

nwb

Quotegitfiddl - 4/17/2014  11:33 AM
I knew that one was coming. :shades:  

Interesting choice of words given the topic.... :biggrin:
Chief of Shaft

Vroomp

I have boxes in the same room that differ greatly in the length of time a Boveda lasts........Then again,,, one of the Humidors is that POS Humidor Supreme Limited Edition 2000!!!............ You would think with a name like "Supreme", it would last 15 years at least!  :confused:

Best box in the room for keeping steady Rh (besides the Curiodor that is)....................... A cheap Bally glass-top!     Go figure....  :?:

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

The Burn Ward

QuoteVroomp - 4/17/2014  5:17 PM

I have boxes in the same room that differ greatly in the length of time a Boveda lasts........Then again,,, one of the Humidors is that POS Humidor Supreme Limited Edition 2000!!!............ You would think with a name like "Supreme", it would last 15 years at least!  :confused:

Best box in the room for keeping steady Rh (besides the Curiodor that is)....................... A cheap Bally glass-top!     Go figure....  :?:

I have a Bally glass-top that holds great as well. My best though is the LE La Gloria 8 drawer humidor.

Vroomp

This humidor, my wife, gave me keeps perfect 70 RH with only a little DW every other month.....

It came from Cuban Crafters but, it seals like an old VW bug! :biggrin:

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

CigarPlace

Sometimes the biggest culprit is the seal on the humidor itself but yes location comes into play here a LOT. Sunlight, direct or indirect has an impact, near any HVAC vents, drafty areas and other stuff can cause those problems.

You might also try adding one additional Boveda pack to the humidors that need to be replaced more often to see if that makes a difference. Also, incoming cigars go into which humidor? Cigars that need humidification after shipping are going to absorb more of the good stuff that Boveda gives off. Make sure to keep only packs of the same percentage in each individual humidor as well, as using different ones will cause them to work against one another.

gitfiddl

QuoteCigarPlace - 5/15/2014  5:39 PM

Sometimes the biggest culprit is the seal on the humidor itself but yes location comes into play here a LOT. Sunlight, direct or indirect has an impact, near any HVAC vents, drafty areas and other stuff can cause those problems.

You might also try adding one additional Boveda pack to the humidors that need to be replaced more often to see if that makes a difference. Also, incoming cigars go into which humidor? Cigars that need humidification after shipping are going to absorb more of the good stuff that Boveda gives off. Make sure to keep only packs of the same percentage in each individual humidor as well, as using different ones will cause them to work against one another.

Thanks, Jessica.  Incoming cigars go into a 50-ct desktop.  I've found that most cigars (other than the few I might order from a certain place in Tampa that starts with a "T") tend to come in "wet".  I was just amazed by the difference in the house.

The Burn Ward

Quotegitfiddl - 5/15/2014  6:11 PM

QuoteCigarPlace - 5/15/2014  5:39 PM

Thanks, Jessica.  Incoming cigars go into a 50-ct desktop.  I've found that most cigars (other than the few I might order from a certain place in Tampa that starts with a "T") tend to come in "wet".  I was just amazed by the difference in the house.

Too wet in there.

Cfickter

There is a definite difference in our house between locations.  Especially upstairs vs downstairs which would make sense since heat rises and the amount in moisture in the air between warn and colder air.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

ntanner

You could test youre theory by moving one from were it is and see if the location change results in the same effect on the RH as you are seeing now.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Baileym76

My bedroom keeps a higher humidity as well.  Part of it I believe is from the shower (humidity in the room rises about 10 percent in the morning from my wife and I each taking a shower) and the other part is because it is on the northeast side of the house, it only gets direct sunlight in the windows for about 2 hours and the rest of the day it stays really cool in there.

BlackIrish

Quotentanner - 5/15/2014  8:54 PM

You could test youre theory by moving one from were it is and see if the location change results in the same effect on the RH as you are seeing now.

^^I'd do this to figure out whether it's the location or the humidor.
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.