To pipe or not to pipe...

Started by nirab, 04/23/2014 04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nirab

I have been intrigued by pipes ever since I was a little kid. Love the smell, and it has always looked like whoever was smoking their pipe, was just plain chillin'. So, I have a $20 gift card to CI, and I'm thinking of getting a starter kit. Pipe Geeks, am I wasting my money on one of their kits? If it is a good place to start, which one would you recommend? The $65 deal is out of the equation, but the others are in play. What eggs of pipe knowledge can you crack for me?? Thanks!   :biggrin:

Link to CI starter kits:

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/search/?q=pipe+starter
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

BewareDaPenguin

Good question...there's a couple geeks who have recently ventured into pipes id like to hear what they say as well :thumbsup:
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

Mojo66

I'll profit from any answer you get, I'm also intrigued.
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

StogieDad

I can't vouch for the starter kits bud.  But I can tell you I have tried, I guess still trying, pipe smoking.  I have enjoyed, but not even close to the level of cigar smoking personally.  Just my opinion, I have smoked one or two bowls a week and almost always reach for a cigar before my pipe.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

nirab

I'm looking at it as a way to enjoy a smoke when I don't have time for a cigar...and I love the way they smell!  :biggrin:

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

Cigary

I started smoking a pipe in 1975 for a few years and love it...problem was that I developed TMJ but I picked up the pipe again a year ago and no issues anymore.  My first pipe was a Savinelli and it smoked great until I quit.  When I bought another pipe a year ago and purchased a cheaper one and regretted it so I bought two more Savinellis and love them....it really pays to buy quality merchandise if you know you are going to pretty much stay with it.  If you are just venturing in...then a get pipe that is decent...you don't have to pay more than $50 for a good one and there are some great tobaccos so you'll have to experiment with them like you would cigars.  Remember with pipes....take it easy and you won't get that tongue bite every one complains about...a good pipe will minimize that as well...a good briar will do.  There is a good way to pack your bowl....first is a very light pinch called a "baby pinch"...then your next one is like a Mommas pinch as far as how much you would pinch and pick up the tobacco with your thumb and forefinger...the last is the Daddy pinch and with that one twist the tobacco as you put it into the bowl so that the tobacco will intertwine and burn at a better volume.

05Venturer

Hands down anyone starting out piping should pick up a couple Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cobs, they are by far the most forgiving pipe and need virtually zero break in period like a briar pipe.
Then pick up a few different tobacco samplers until you find what you like.
IMHO I think the best 2 tobaccos to start with would be Carter Hall &  Lane 1Q
Carter Hall is a good burley that has been around forever and Lane 1Q I believe is still the top selling tobacco around.

My advice for starting out would be this
http://www.cigarsinternational.com/samplers/40102/corn-cob-pipe-starter-kit/#p-99447
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

nirab

Quote05Venturer - 4/23/2014  8:32 PM

Hands down anyone starting out piping should pick up a couple Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cobs, they are by far the most forgiving pipe and need virtually zero break in period like a briar pipe.
Carter Hall is a good burley that has been around forever and Lane 1Q I believe is still the top selling tobacco around.

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/samplers/40102/corn-cob-pipe-starter-kit/#p-99447

That is the starter kit I have been thinking about.  :biggrin:

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

Thich Nhat Hanh

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

05Venturer

Quotenirab - 4/23/2014  10:10 PM

Quote05Venturer - 4/23/2014  8:32 PM

That is the starter kit I have been thinking about.  :biggrin:

The pipes are a couple of Eatons I believe, they are small but good for a quick smoke, maybe pick up a MM Legend cob also. The CB Cherry tobacco isn't my thing but a few like it. Good Luck
Kent

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Hot Stuff x

+1 on starting out with a MM cob.  Those cobs in the posted sampler are some cheap Chinese knock-off cobs, so not sure how they will smoke.  I guess they'll do for trying it out.  But you can get a good Missouri Meerschaum for around $10.  It's worth it to pay the extra money for the better ones.  I have the Patriot shown here for $8.95, and it has given me years of good smoking.  http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipes/corn-cob-pipes/    

Sure, they have some $5 and even $2 cobs, but the $10 ones are 10x better, imho.

Smoking a pipe takes some time due to the time it takes to pack your bowl, and maintain your pipe afterward.  The hardest thing is learning how to pack your pipe so it burns well, and number two is probably learning how to pace your draws.  

I learned how to pack a pipe by watching Youtube videos:  The Frank Method   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJP0JaNRw6Q
LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

05Venturer

QuoteHot Stuff x - 4/24/2014  6:46 AM

+1 on starting out with a MM cob.  Those cobs in the posted sampler are some cheap Chinese knock-off cobs, so not sure how they will smoke.  I guess they'll do for trying it out.  But you can get a good Missouri Meerschaum for around $10.  It's worth it to pay the extra money for the better ones.  I have the Patriot shown here for $8.95, and it has given me years of good smoking.  http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipes/corn-cob-pipes/    

Sure, they have some $5 and even $2 cobs, but the $10 ones are 10x better, imho.

Smoking a pipe takes some time due to the time it takes to pack your bowl, and maintain your pipe afterward.  The hardest thing is learning how to pack your pipe so it burns well, and number two is probably learning how to pace your draws.  

I learned how to pack a pipe by watching Youtube videos:  The Frank Method   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJP0JaNRw6Q

+1 on the MM's , I thought they were putting a couple MM Eaton's in the sampler but I read a couple reviews and they are Chinese Cobs (AKA POS Cobs) , The ONLY Cob is a MM IMHO and they are fantastic smokers.
Kent

sjn1117

I started out with a Brian but rarely smoke it now. I love the way my MM cobs smoke!
why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

toby2

I think starting out with a small bowl is better. the benefits are that you will have a shorter smoke and that cuts down on the beginner's tongue burn issues, you will finish the bowl more often so a good cake will develop, the smaller bowl will teach you to sip rather than puff away like smoking a cigar. just my 2 cents. pipes are great fun :-)

nirab

I am thinking I should peice together a starter kit. If I do that, are there any suggestions as to which tobacco I should begin with?
The MM Legend is only $4.50, the Pony Express is $3.95, or the Eaton at $3. The gift card is $20,  I can go over that, but not too much, as school books and tuition for summer are coming up in the next couple of weeks. Also, which is preferable for starting out, the bent or straight stem? Thanks for all the advice my fellow geeks! :-)

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/pipes/66445/missouri-meerschaum-legend/

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/pipes/66449/missouri-meerschaum-pony-express/

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/pipes/66444/missouri-meerschaum-eaton/

Are any of these sampler kits worth starting on?

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/search/?q=Pipe+sampler&w=pipe+tobacco+sampler

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

Thich Nhat Hanh

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

sjn1117

I would pick the legend myself.  I think the stem is  a  matter of personal preference.  I have both and use both.

wlfwalleye

I suggest that you watch Eric's Pipe Smoking 101 Series. A great no BS approach for the new pipe smoker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6anpPn4R1xM&list=PL51D19CF5A6B5F2E8

gitfiddl

I agree with the MM Cob comments.  And stay away from "Brylon" pipes.  They burn way too hot.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

nirab

I think I'm gonna pick up the MM Legend, along with whatever tobacco y'all recommend. I don't know shyte about pipe tobacco. I have watched a bunch of videos n stuff, but it's probably just like cigars...try em to find if you like em.  :biggrin:

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

Thich Nhat Hanh

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

StogieDad

The best I have tried as a newbie were Frog Morton on the Bayou and Davidoff Night Cap, but I havent tried many.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

nirab

QuoteStogieDad - 4/24/2014  12:20 PM

The best I have tried as a newbie were Frog Morton on the Bayou and Davidoff Night Cap, but I havent tried many.

They are on my list now, thanks Michael!  :bigthumbs:  :bigthumbs:

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

Thich Nhat Hanh

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

sjn1117

Seattle pipe club Mississippi river is good stuff so is Sutliff #5 that Kent turned me onto. Plus the Sutliff is dirt cheap.

toby2

Quotenirab - 4/24/2014  3:34 PM  
QuoteStogieDad - 4/24/2014  12:20 PM  The best I have tried as a newbie were Frog Morton on the Bayou and Davidoff Night Cap, but I havent tried many.

this froggie   is a great one to start out with too.

05Venturer

Quotenirab - 4/24/2014  3:34 PM

QuoteStogieDad - 4/24/2014  12:20 PM

Night Cap is made by Dunhill and is good. I would definitely give Lane 1Q a try and Sutliff Blend #5 is real good.
Kent

ntanner

Quotegitfiddl - 4/24/2014  8:50 AM

I agree with the MM Cob comments.  And stay away from "Brylon" pipes.  They burn way too hot.
X2
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Cigary

This thread could really spell trouble with us pipe peeps.....good info on here as far as tobacco..already making a list for Santa.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.