bacteriostat for cigar humidors?

Started by mairey, 05/02/2014 08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mairey

Hi I recently saw a bacteriostat liquid used in humidifiers got the ok to use a little bit in my humidor reservoir. Has anyone ever used this sort of product in their humidor before? Kinda concerned about the chemicals in the product..
- dimethyl benzyl ammonium chlorides = 1.125%
- dimethyl ethylbenzyl ammonium chlorides = 1.125%

Thanks

Jackal

Benzalkonium chloride compounds (the two bacteriacides listed above) are basically Lysol.  Not sure about the odor that they may impart, nut they are probably relatively safe from a human toxicity standpoint.

However, I would avoid using biocides unless you really know what you are doing.  Using them improperly will most likely cause them to get diluted to a point that they are below their inhibitory threshold values.  Sub-inhibitory levels can allow bacteria to form resistance, resulting in some very nasty mutations.  These "super bugs" are very hard to deal with and can even become a health hazard.

If you are experiencing a bacterial issue in your reservoir, then I would suggest using a material that attacks cell walls (hydrogen peroxide), which bacteria cannot become acclimated to, and then use a periodic dosing with a biostat, until you are sure that problem is resolved, and then discontinue its use.  If you are not having issues, then I would not recommned using this type of product, and instead just practice good hygiene with your humidifier.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

tvolball

Don't know if I would go with that. I believe I would take it and clean from time to time to prevent growth.
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

conditionZero

--JOE--

I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.  Joe E. Lewis

toby2

I keep an extra and let it dry and air out between refills. I had been using diluted bleach to spritz the outside with but am going to do Jason's hydrogen peroxide thing next swap out.

Joelala

QuoteJackal - 5/3/2014  1:56 AM

Benzalkonium chloride compounds (the two bacteriacides listed above) are basically Lysol.  Not sure about the odor that they may impart, nut they are probably relatively safe from a human toxicity standpoint.

However, I would avoid using biocides unless you really know what you are doing.  Using them improperly will most likely cause them to get diluted to a point that they are below their inhibitory threshold values.  Sub-inhibitory levels can allow bacteria to form resistance, resulting in some very nasty mutations.  These "super bugs" are very hard to deal with and can even become a health hazard.

If you are experiencing a bacterial issue in your reservoir, then I would suggest using a material that attacks cell walls (hydrogen peroxide), which bacteria cannot become acclimated to, and then use a periodic dosing with a biostat, until you are sure that problem is resolved, and then discontinue its use.  If you are not having issues, then I would not recommned using this type of product, and instead just practice good hygiene with your humidifier.

:word:  :word:
Joe

ntanner

QuoteconditionZero - 5/3/2014  5:51 AM

Jason took my answer.
Ya, me too, that's just what I was gonna say. :biggrin:
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

mairey

Thanks for the input guys think I will stay away. I haven't had any mold issues at all. From time to time I get a funky smell I think its from overcrowding and lack of air exchange. Will need to the the humidor breath a bit more.

bstessl

Quotentanner - 5/3/2014  8:59 AM  
QuoteconditionZero - 5/3/2014  5:51 AM  Jason took my answer.
Ya, me too, that's just what I was gonna say. :biggrin:

x3... he always steals our answers... 
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

Jackal

Hydrogen peroxide, bleach and alcohol are all chemicals that basically melt bacteria and fungus.  Because of that, thereis no way for the bugs to develop an immunity to them.

Quaternay amines, such as Bezalkonium chloride, and many other of the biodstats are poisons, and if they don't kill all of the bugs, then the surviving ones can build up a tolerance to the biocides.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

mairey

Thanks for the info!

BewareDaPenguin

QuoteconditionZero - 5/3/2014  6:51 AM

Jason took my answer.

:respekt:
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

Cfickter

Yeah, I've been PM'ing all those answered. NOT!
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.