Hey Ken, tell me if it's worth trying!

Started by gitfiddl, 05/13/2014 02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitfiddl

This past weekend, I was puttering around, and had a thought.  I, like many others, am always looking for more storage.  Would it be possible to convert an organ bench into a humidor?  I would need to replace the bottom, as it is "pressboard", but the rest of the bench is walnut.  I could replace the bottom with mahogany, run a little weatherstripping between the lid and the bottom, buy some cedar trays.  The interior after "squaring off" for the legs is 33"l x 13.5"w x 3"h.  I could put four of these trays in there: http://www.cubancrafters.com/humidor-accessory-humidor-trays-for-havana-humidors-handcrafted-cedar/  Reckon it's worth trying?

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

scottvodka

Don't see why not. Wouldn't be terribly expensive, and you could have a really cool humidor.

Edit: I have a cousin named Ken, so I'm qualified to answer.

lubrix

----
Guru of ruining the moment.

Newbhunter

I've converted wine boxes and cutlery boxes into humidors, even a tea box. All of em worked great while I had em. Only thing worries me is that flush fit lid, hard to get a good seal when it's flush, not impossible tho. It's just a lot easier when the lid has a lip. You make the Spanish cedar lining protrude enough to match the one in the lid. I guess with this bench you're lining in the lid will have to fit flush to the inside of your bottom lining. Will make a really cool humidor if you pull it off.

toby2

bmac7754

That would be a cool project and something I have never seen before.  Go For It
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

gitfiddl

QuoteNewbhunter - 5/13/2014  7:32 PM

I've converted wine boxes and cutlery boxes into humidors, even a tea box. All of em worked great while I had em. Only thing worries me is that flush fit lid, hard to get a good seal when it's flush, not impossible tho. It's just a lot easier when the lid has a lip. You make the Spanish cedar lining protrude enough to match the one in the lid. I guess with this bench you're lining in the kid will have to fit flush to the inside of your lining. Will make a really cool humidor if you pull it off.

As for the seal, I was thinking of some sort of synthetic felt, as right now, lit just sits on top.  I have no clue as to what Hammond used as a finish in 1968.

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Cfickter

Would be a great project, getting the cedar to match along the edges and the lid to seal right would be the challenges I would see, but I have no woodworking talent so for others it might be a breeze
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

aflicted

what is the top made of and how thick is it?  Do you think you could make a jig to run a router around the edge and make a shallow groove?  If you measured it right then you could line the edges of the bottom with Cedar an have them protrude just above the lip at the same depth as the groove you made with the router.  you could line the bottom of the groove with felt just for good measure, but if your tolerances are right, it should work.  I am not a carpenter, but I stayed at a holiday inn express last night.

Mojo66

So you'll be jammin' sitting on your stash?

One thing's for sure, you'll be real close to your cigars. :biggrin:
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

tvolball

"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

Newbhunter

Quotegitfiddl - 5/13/2014  7:52 PM

QuoteNewbhunter - 5/13/2014  7:32 PM

I've converted wine boxes and cutlery boxes into humidors, even a tea box. All of em worked great while I had em. Only thing worries me is that flush fit lid, hard to get a good seal when it's flush, not impossible tho. It's just a lot easier when the lid has a lip. You make the Spanish cedar lining protrude enough to match the one in the lid. I guess with this bench you're lining in the kid will have to fit flush to the inside of your lining. Will make a really cool humidor if you pull it off.

As for the seal, I was thinking of some sort of synthetic felt, as right now, lit just sits on top.  I have no clue as to what Hammond used as a finish in 1968.

That could work too, afflicted had a great idea too with that routing a groove bit. Route a 1/4 inch groove and line the cover with Spanish cedar 1/4 inch plank. You'll end up with a 1/2 inch overlap to seal and might not even need the weather seal felt. To get the lining to stay put, I'd go with some weld-bond glue (no smell when dry, my trays for my homemade humidor that you can see in my photo album are made with only that as I didn't have my brad nailer at the time) and some brad nails. I can't see too well in the pic but if it's a bench it must be at least a 1/2 inch board ur sitting on, should have plenty of space and you won't corrupt the structural integrity.

ntanner

I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Ken Kelley

Looks like fun. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work if you can get a halfway decent seal. It'll either work...or it won't!  :biggrin:
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

DonM

Sounds like a nice project Dave!  I would be concerned about a good seal, after all, you are sitting on your cigars and don't want any unwanted flatulence permeating the cigars :biggrin:

"The Curmudgeon"

Ken Kelley

QuoteDonM - 5/13/2014  8:25 PM

Sounds like a nice project Dave!  I would be concerned about a good seal, after all, you are sitting on your cigars and don't want any unwanted flatulence permeating the cigars :biggrin:

Yeah, there is that but I was too polite to mention it. However, that might tend to improve the flavor of some of Dave's Thompson special blends. :biggrin:

aflicted

Pooh infused pineapple white owl anyone?

gitfiddl

I see how it is.  I ask a serious question and a couple of old farts make me the butt of their jokes...

:shades:

aflicted

Quotegitfiddl - 5/14/2014  10:07 AM  I see how it is.  I ask a serious question and a couple of rested/aged farts make me the butt of their jokes...   :shades:  

FTFY

Ken Kelley

Quotegitfiddl - 5/13/2014  10:07 PM

I see how it is.  I ask a serious question and a couple of old farts make me the butt of their jokes...

:shades:

Yeah, but we are SERIOUS old farts with time on our hands. Can you blame us if you tee up the ball so perfectly just waiting for a hit?  :biggrin:

Ken Kelley

Quoteaflicted - 5/13/2014  10:09 PM

Quotegitfiddl - 5/14/2014  10:07 AM  I see how it is.  I ask a serious question and a couple of rested/aged farts make me the butt of their jokes...   :shades:  

FTFY

What the hell does that mean?  :confused:

gitfiddl

QuoteKen Kelley - 5/14/2014  10:52 AM

Quoteaflicted - 5/13/2014  10:09 PM

FTFY

What the hell does that mean?  :confused:

"Fixed That For You"

gitfiddl

Back to the original thread...

The lid/top is walnut.  I'm at work right now,and can't measure it, but I would estimate it to be almost 3/4" thick.

Ken Kelley

Quotegitfiddl - 5/13/2014  11:10 PM

Back to the original thread...

The lid/top is walnut.  I'm at work right now,and can't measure it, but I would estimate it to be almost 3/4" thick.

Well, since you're not any fun I'd take a look at the gap between the top and the bench. If you install a seal (and I wouldn't suggest using felt because it is permeable) you might just have to relocate the hinges to make sure everything gets in sync. Not a real big problem. If need be you can drill some holes, tap in short pieces of dowel rod glued in place and drill the new screw holes. The hinge will cover them up and no one will know what you did ...besides you and me and I won't tell.

Above all...don't make this any more complicated than it has to be. If you get into the router business I can almost guarantee you're gonna f**k it up!   :biggrin:

ntanner

Would it be easier to make a lip out of some 1/4 round that was attached to the lid and set down into the bench when the lid was closed? If they fit snug against the sides that should make decent seal.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.