Coolidor Project

Started by JamesTanner, 05/18/2014 11:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesTanner

Okay I bought and Igloo (marine) 48 quarts cooler.  I have approximetley 150 sticks.  Right now they are all in tupperware containers with a humi pack in each one.  Anyways my question is should I go with heartfelt beads or boveda packs?  I also have heard about kitty litter?  Not sure which brand.  I bought and analog hygrometer but that thing is a complete joke and I threw it away.  It did not work at all and I calibrated it and did everything perfect.  Anyways I am thinking of going to walmart and buying a digital hygrometer or ordering one offline.   Any suggestions or recommendations of a specific brand?  

I know my coolidor will be fairly empty with only 150 sticks but my collection is growing very fast.  I know this is a lot of information scattered out but if anyone has any recommendations for where I am at now in this process I really would appreciate it.  I have heard many great things about heartfelt but seen some video by boveda on youtube showing heartfelt going way over 100 percent humidity and boveda staying where it was supposed to.  The people who made the video were from boveda so who knows how fair that test was.

I am trying to go inexpensive but effective.  I want to stay around 65 degrees of relative humidity.  From what I have read on this site and tasted myself it seems I like my cigars a little more dry than moist if I had to choose.  I have read some posts on here but I am just looking for any help with my circumstances and recommendations.  

I could probably get everything from Walmart I need but I want to know if anyone swears by a certain product, etc

PS cello on or off?  What is your guy's recomendation

I really appreciate the time and help fellow geeks!

Thank you.
James Tanner

gitfiddl

I'm a Boveda fan for my desktops, but I'd go with kitty litter in a cooler.  Read here:  http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=articles;sa=view;article=46

And leave the cellos on!

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

ROTHNH

Yep,kitty litter is the WTG for your coolidor.

The "cello on or off" thing has been beaten to death here on Cigar Geeks.  CELLO ON is the consensus, with CELLO ON,BUT SNIP THE CELLO ON ONE END also a popular choice by some puffers.

JamesTanner

Thanks for the advice.  I am going to search for what type of kitty litter but I am wondering if it regulated humidity like the heartfelt beads that specifically say 65 degrees humidity?
James Tanner

05Venturer

I find Bovedas pretty foolproof this far
Over the winter I put a piece of wet foam in a small Tupperware container with holes drilled in the lid for added humidification during the dry months along with a couple 65 Bovedas and it worked perfect. Now that the humidity in the air is coming up I will most likely pull the container with foam.
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

gitfiddl

QuoteJamesTanner - 5/18/2014  2:47 PM

Thanks for the advice.  I am going to search for what type of kitty litter but I am wondering if it regulated humidity like the heartfelt beads that specifically say 65 degrees humidity?

I used a cheap WalMart brand (Mamie ?) for a while.  As long it is unscented and silica, you should be okay.  It was as stable in my humis as the HF beads.  It kept the RH around 65%.  My problem with beads/KL is that they both shed a powdery dust if the humidifier was in the lid of my humidors.  I popped open the disc/puck humidifiers and replaced the foam with HF beads or KL. Both the beads and KL shed dust.  
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

JamesTanner

So many options hmmmm.  What about hygrometer/temp unit?  Any specific brand you guys like?
James Tanner

Kevin48438

I followed Bryan Glynn's instructions and have nad terrific results.   Cigarobsession.com

Only other suggestion I would have it to get more beads.   Enough to make a 2nd cooler.  Then if you win a contest, go to a cigar festival, inherit some, or just cant pass up a deal on a bunch, you can make cooler #2 in a hurry.

As for a hygrometer: digital and able to calibrate.
"I smoke in moderation. Only one cigar at a time." - Mark Twain

"There are two things worth living for, one is a good cigar, the other is a better one." - Unknown

bmac7754

I prefer the Xikar digital hygrometer.  I have one in every humidor and you can find them on the monster for around $15.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

ntanner

I say Boveda for the cooler, it closes tighter then a wood humidor and can build RH faster then a wooden box. The boveda is a good regulator of RH and throw some wood in too for good measure. I think the KL will work too but prefer the boveda. Just my .02.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

ROTHNH

My Xikar Hygrometer pooped the sheets soon after I got it.  I need to send it back ... I hear Xikar now offers a much better product.

JamesTanner

Thanks for the tips and advice.
James Tanner

hebron

Quotebmac7754 - 5/18/2014  11:48 PM

I prefer the Xikar digital hygrometer.  I have one in every humidor and you can find them on the monster for around $15.
x2 on Xikar

I also have five of these, cheap and very accurate: http://www.ebay.com/itm/151003056432?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

CigarPlace

I LOVE the Xikar hygrometers. They're what we use to measure humidity in our warehouse. Nice big readouts. Now they are self-calibrating and for the cost of less than 2-3 quality sticks you can ensure that your cigars are being stored properly.

I'm also a firm believer of using products as they are designed. Kitty litter was designed for cat boxes not my humidor. Boveda packs are cheap enough and certainly reliable enough for my humidor storage needs. I'll also use the Xikar Crystal bricks or jars or a even better a Cigar Oasis unit to make sure my cigars are happy. I'm not risking my investment on kitty litter.

Kevin48438

How many boveda packs for a 48qt. cooler?   It should hold 10-15 boxes.
"I smoke in moderation. Only one cigar at a time." - Mark Twain

"There are two things worth living for, one is a good cigar, the other is a better one." - Unknown

ntanner

Try here, they can tell you. Notice the difference between wood and plastic?
http://www.bovedainc.com/store/tobacco/

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

CigarPlace

Quotentanner - 5/19/2014  6:37 PM  Try here, they can tell you. Notice the difference between wood and plastic? http://www.bovedainc.com/store/tobacco/

This link from Tanner is great. I defer to Boveda in this regard. I can say that I haven't had to change the Boveda pack in my travel humidor in over a year and it is well traveled. 

Also, CELLO-ON!!! Or if you are storing boxes of cigars in their boxes... however the manufacturer packaged them to begin with. Personally, I'm going to be changing from multiple small humidors to one larger coolidor and it is my preference in those coolers, to pack my cigars as 5 packs with water pillows in each ziploc bag. However, I have an "in" for water pillows and ziploc bags in bulk but even if I had to pay retail, I'd probably do it this way too. It's a lot less box tetris.

The Burn Ward

QuoteCigarPlace - 5/19/2014  6:08 PM

Quotentanner - 5/19/2014  6:37 PM  Try here, they can tell you. Notice the difference between wood and plastic? http://www.bovedainc.com/store/tobacco/

This link from Tanner is great. I defer to Boveda in this regard. I can say that I haven't had to change the Boveda pack in my travel humidor in over a year and it is well traveled. 

Also, CELLO-ON!!! Or if you are storing boxes of cigars in their boxes... however the manufacturer packaged them to begin with. Personally, I'm going to be changing from multiple small humidors to one larger coolidor and it is my preference in those coolers, to pack my cigars as 5 packs with water pillows in each ziploc bag. However, I have an "in" for water pillows and ziploc bags in bulk but even if I had to pay retail, I'd probably do it this way too. It's a lot less box tetris.

Be cautious with those water pillows. They serve their purpose well with short term storage but when you crowd them up they tend to grow mold. I had a large ziplock bag with a cedar drawer inside, which I used to store already wet water pillows for later use. I went into it around 2 weeks after non use and smelled something funny.... MOLD everywhere, white and green mostly, so I quickly shut it and tossed the lot. Now I'm very cautious.

Cfickter

I have several 100 count humidors. I use beads as the main humidification device but manage the ups and downs with either Boveda or even a small amount of distilled water. Been thinking of KL for as much as it is recommended here

For travel it is Boveda 100%.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

JamesTanner

I have narrowed down my choices to boveda or heartfelt.  The boveda page says I only need 2 packs for 150 cigars.  So it is as simple as sticking two large packs in the coolidor?  Sounds very easy and cheap for only 4 bucks a piece.   The heartfelt beads I was leaning towards but I think both are great products from all the reviews and will try boveda first.  I am going to go with the 65 percent ones since I like my cigars a little dryer if anything than moist.
James Tanner

ntanner

Good choice, let us know how it work's out.

JamesTanner

Okay so I cleaned and washed my coolidor.  Its dry and ready to go.  Bought nylon stockings put approximately 1 pound of mimi kitty litter in stocking and tied off.  Got my hygrometer ready so for the first night should I just put everything in there and see where the temp and humidity is with nothing in there except nylon full of dry litter and hygrometer?  Or do i need to spritz it with a little water first.  Also I want to use some cheap boxes for storage.  Cant tell if some of them are spanish cedar or not.  Wonder if those should go in at first as well?  I do have some spanish cedar boxes for sure though.  I guess there is no right or wrong way to do this.  I just dont want to add cigars untill I have everything perfect.  Then I will add cigars.  As far as the dust from the kitty litter i noticed it when i poured it in the stockings.  Thinking of keeping nylon w/ litter in tupperware container with holes in the top to avoid any dust.  As long as I am not shaking the darn thing it should be fine.  Can anyone give me any help or tips at this point.  Is there anything that should not go in there?  One of my boxes I just bought of CAO Criollio has leather as part of the box that should be fine in there right?  I am just very OCD about everything, want to not make any mistakes.  

Thanks in advance fellas.
James Tanner

sjn1117

Personally I would check it "dry" but I'm in a humid area. I have been using beads in my bigger storage for a while and haven't done anything to them since I put them in. It's pretty humid in my area so you may be different.  I useboveda in my small humidors and it is foolproof.  Kitty litter got too messy for me but it could've been operator error. Get your rh to mid sixties and start adding sticks IMO.
why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

05Venturer

Put the boxes in also so they can get acclimated to the humidity. Otherwise if they are dry they will suck up a lot of moisture when you add them later.
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

JamesTanner

Put approximately 3/4 pound of MiMi brand kitty litter halfway soaked with distilled water in nylon and then the nylon in a quart size plastic bag with holes punctured in the top.  This way there is no way dust will be an issue and no water or moisture will leak anywhere.  Also put all boxes I am planning on using inside as well which is around 8 boxes. 6 for sure are spanish cedar and one may be I am not sure.  The other is spanish cedar with leather.  Anyways I lightly ran a slightly damp cloth over all the boxes.  One box paint started coming off so I am not going to be using that one.  Anyways the digital temp/hygrometer is in there as well.  Going to see what it looks like in the morning.  My house stays at around 70 degrees or a little cooler.  I live in Northern Michigan so once it gets real hot I have ac so should have no problems with to high of temps.  I will let you guys know what my readout says tommorow.  Then from there i will add more beads or more water one of the two.  I have approximately 200 sticks total so I will start adding those in once I am in the 60's humidity wise.  Any advice or opinions so far?  I am starting to wonder if I should just use plastic quart bags for my coolidors instead of boxes.  I would be able to fit more sticks in but I do like the spanish cedar from the boxes.  This will be a learning experience for me as I am new to this.  I really appreciate all the help everyone.
James Tanner

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.