Proper Smoking RH

Started by dddddmorgan, 05/30/2014 06:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proper Smoking RH

60%
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 33

dddddmorgan

Alright friends here's your chance to satisfy my curiosity ;-)

I've never done a poll so I'm killing two birds with one stone and answering a question in my mind as well.

What's your opinion of the best RH to smoke a stick? 

Molon Labe!

nwb

Between 60%-65%, but closer to 65%.
Chief of Shaft

nirab

Quotenwb - 5/30/2014  8:05 AM

:word:  :bigthumbs:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

ntanner

I keep my humidor at 67% so for me it's between 65 and 67%. That seem's to be were I get the best burn and most enjoyment but I think that may be due to location as it is very dry here. When I went to Dallas to visit the father-in-law the smokes I had in my travel humi seemed a little moist while there but when I returned home they were smoking fine. Were is Jason? He would know if my theory has any merit to it.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Brlesq

Quotenirab - 5/30/2014  9:18 AM

x3.  Most of my humidors are between 63%-65%.  One is kept around 60% because some cigars seem to burn and age better at that lower humidity.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

scottvodka

is this for ambient outside humidity or out of the humidor humidity?

Kevin48438

QuoteBrlesq - 5/30/2014  10:02 AM x3.  Most of my humidors are between 63%-65%.  One is kept around 60% because some cigars seem to burn and age better at that lower humidity.

That's interesting, Bruce.   What factors did you find that influence this?   Type of wrapper?  A certain brand?   Fillers?   I've always wondered if something like a thick broadleaf would perform and taste better at a different RH than something like a thin shade wrapper.

"I smoke in moderation. Only one cigar at a time." - Mark Twain

"There are two things worth living for, one is a good cigar, the other is a better one." - Unknown

gitfiddl

63.765%, except on Tuesdays when the moon is full and the wind is out of the northeast.  Then I prefer them a little closer to 65%.

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

nwb

QuoteKevin48438 - 5/30/2014  11:24 AM

QuoteBrlesq - 5/30/2014  10:02 AM x3.  Most of my humidors are between 63%-65%.  One is kept around 60% because some cigars seem to burn and age better at that lower humidity.

That's interesting, Bruce.   What factors did you find that influence this?   Type of wrapper?  A certain brand?   Fillers?   I've always wondered if something like a thick broadleaf would perform and taste better at a different RH than something like a thin shade wrapper.

In my experience, cigars with thicker wrapper leaves perform better at lower humidity.  For instance, a CAO Brazilia smokes really well at 62%-64%, while I've smoked a Park Avenue Connecticut at 73% with no problem.
Chief of Shaft

ThinBlueLine

I strive for 65% but it fluctuates sometimes as high as 70 and as low as 62. Oh well the cigars smoke and taste good so that's all that matters I guess.
I enjoy romantic walks to my humidors...

hebron

QuoteBrlesq - 5/30/2014  4:02 PM

x3.  Most of my humidors are between 63%-65%.  One is kept around 60% because some cigars seem to burn and age better at that lower humidity.
x4, minus the 60% part  :biggrin:
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

toby2

QuoteBrlesq - 5/30/2014  10:02 AM  
Quotenwb - 5/30/2014  8:05 AM  Between 60%-65%, but closer to 65%.

me too

Joelala

Mine ranges between 63-67. I do not toy with it too much. If it above 63 and below 70, I am a happy geek. :shooter:
Joe

StogieDad

Quotegitfiddl - 5/30/2014  11:36 AM

63.765%, except on Tuesdays when the moon is full and the wind is out of the northeast.  Then I prefer them a little closer to 65%.

I thought I was the only one that had that setup....:lmao:
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

tvolball

I went with 65% but I keep mine between 65% and 68%
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

nwb

Ummm, I think we have a winner.....
Chief of Shaft

Brlesq

Quotenwb - 5/30/2014  2:57 PM

Ummm, I think we have a winner.....

Maybe not, haven't heard from many of the Left Coast members.  You know they all do things differently out there . . .    :rolleyes:

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Cigary

For those of us who know our stock of cigars and where they tend to smoke best we keep multiple humidors so that we can enjoy them at their best.  Ordinarily 65% is probably the safest bet and most of my humidors are set to this percentage.  In the summer it can become a pain because not everyone will keep their inside temps at 70 degrees and then we see the posts about having the RH and temperature all over the place.

vw77guy

Gotta go with the majority on this one.

Longhorn

65%, but only if kitty litter was used.  If Heartfelt beads, then it must be at 67%.  And if the cigars are in cellos I wait until 68% unless I'm using a V-cutter then 67% is fine. :biggrin:

nwb

QuoteLonghorn - 5/30/2014  9:00 PM

65%, but only if kitty litter was used.  If Heartfelt beads, then it must be at 67%.  And if the cigars are in cellos I wait until 68% unless I'm using a V-cutter then 67% is fine. :biggrin:

Have we dipped into a bit too much scotch tonight, Brad? :biggrin:
Chief of Shaft

Rebecca Silverwolf

I like between 65% and 69%, depending on the cigar. Darker, thicker wrappers seem to burn better if they are a little drier. I keep my humidors around 67%.
"Well, we may not have parted on the best of terms. I realize certain words were exchanged. Also certain... bullets."

"If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

-Captain Malcolm Reynolds

DonM

It looks like the results confirm 65% is the way to go!! :bigthumbs:

"The Curmudgeon"

Cigary

QuoteLonghorn - 5/30/2014  9:00 PM65%, but only if kitty litter was used.  If Heartfelt beads, then it must be at 67%.  And if the cigars are in cellos I wait until 68% unless I'm using a V-cutter then 67% is fine. :biggrin:

Sadly, I understood everything he said and agree 103%

Longhorn

QuoteCigary - 5/31/2014  1:29 PM

QuoteLonghorn - 5/30/2014  9:00 PM65%, but only if kitty litter was used.  If Heartfelt beads, then it must be at 67%.  And if the cigars are in cellos I wait until 68% unless I'm using a V-cutter then 67% is fine. :biggrin:

Sadly, I understood everything he said and agree 103%

:lmao:

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.