Sheet of Spanish cedar

Started by kxthor911, 06/06/2014 12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kxthor911

I know Spanish cedar isn't really that but some type of mahogany (I think) anyways. Where could I buy a sheet of it and does anyone know what it would run? 
Hello my name is Nick and I just bought a box of... (courtesy of Stephen and Rob(serious cigars))

Yes its fast, no you cant drive it.

tvolball

I've only seen it online in board or plank sizes
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

Ken Kelley

Quotekxthor911 - 6/6/2014  3:11 AM

I know Spanish cedar isn't really that but some type of mahogany (I think) anyways. Where could I buy a sheet of it and does anyone know what it would run? 

Are you talking about veneer? If so, check to see if a Woodcraft Store in your area carries it. If not, just go to the search engines and see what you can find. I can tell you one thing...it's gonna be more than you want to pay! I bought a rough board from Woodcraft in Lexington a couple of years ago and even the rough stuff was going for about $12/board foot then. Who knows what it's up to now. Nothing is cheap any more. Fortunately, a little bit goes a long ways for humidor purposes.
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

kxthor911

No sir I do not want the veneer. I just need a small sheet probably like 2 foot by 4 foot. I want to build a little shelf to put in the top of my coolidor for storing singles. Thanks guys. I have been reading more maybe I actually do need Spanish cedar.
Hello my name is Nick and I just bought a box of... (courtesy of Stephen and Rob(serious cigars))

Newbhunter

I only seen boards round here, sheets is a rarity. For comparison my local woodshop that specializes in rarer wood types has a set of 5 boards (approx 20"x7") =30$ CAD... When I built my humidor it cost about 200$ just of Spanish cedar planks...
Make sure when you do get it though, wear a mask for cutting and sanding, it highly irritant to throat and lungs.

scottvodka

toby2

it was about $6 something a board foot at my local siding dealer down here a few years ago. one inch planed 6x20 foot or so. that was dealer price. not sure what off the street would have been. probably double.

Kevin48438

For a coolerdor, have you looked at?: http://www.amazon.com/Spanish-Cedar-Tray-HUMI-TRAY-Cigar/dp/B00B9234HE

Since asthetics isn't really a concern, why not just use old boxes to store singles?   I like the lower priced Fuente ones.   Simple and don't take up extra room.
"I smoke in moderation. Only one cigar at a time." - Mark Twain

"There are two things worth living for, one is a good cigar, the other is a better one." - Unknown

CigarPlace

Both excess boxes and those Cedar Trays work well.

We offer the trays for $11.95 and using the exclusive Geeks10 promo code this weekend will bring the price down to $10.75 each. Give us a try, you won't be sorry. Also, if you write Geeks in the shipping instructions box during checkout, I'll make sure to toss something extra in the box for you. Can't promise anything big, but I'll see what I've got.

hebron

QuoteCigarPlace - 6/6/2014  11:35 PM

We offer the trays for $11.95 and using the exclusive Geeks10 promo code this weekend will bring the price down to $10.75 each. Give us a try, you won't be sorry. Also, if you write Geeks in the shipping instructions box during checkout, I'll make sure to toss something extra in the box for you. Can't promise anything big, but I'll see what I've got.
Ah... I just ordered a few minutes ago and then read this post... I've sent you an e-mail about it, maybe it's not to late!  :biggrin:
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

kxthor911

I want a shelf for organization. I have a couple of coolers now and putting singles in boxes and then having to dig for them is a pain. The shelves would would but to keep them flat you would have to keep them at the bottom and that is a pain. I want one large shelf on the top of the cooler. The boards are going to work just fine. After I build it I will post pics. Probably take a couple of weeks to get everything together. Thanks for everyone's input just figured out how I'm going to do it.

Instead of using a sheet and cutting slits in it I'll just use the boards and they can make natural slits. With around a 2-3 inch wide rim around the outside. I will also have a couple of dividers in the middle of the tray for support. I will be running posts in the corners for a good flat layer.

How should I connect everything together? Any particular type of brad or glue that you could recommend. Thanks again.

Cigary

QuoteCigarPlace - 6/6/2014  5:35 PM  Both excess boxes and those Cedar Trays work well.   We offer the trays for $11.95 and using the exclusive Geeks10 promo code this weekend will bring the price down to $10.75 each. Give us a try, you won't be sorry. Also, if you write Geeks in the shipping instructions box during checkout, I'll make sure to toss something extra in the box for you. Can't promise anything big, but I'll see what I've got.

This  kind of CS alone is what makes me want to support CigarPlace....I've used and bought cedar sheets in the past and it works quite well when making tupperadors.  I line the bottom and sides with it and the transfer of the cedar is really good....about 3 months and you can tell a difference in your cigars.  I also use old cedar boxes that I use to put my cigars in but I like the thin cedar sheets better...JMHO.

hebron

QuoteCigary - 6/7/2014  12:28 AM

This  kind of CS alone is what makes me want to support CigarPlace....
I've always been very pleased with them, but lately with the geek 10% discount and now this... Not to mention the passes! They have taken it to a whole new level!  :bigthumbs:
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

The Burn Ward

Quotekxthor911 - 6/6/2014  6:12 PM

I want a shelf for organization. I have a couple of coolers now and putting singles in boxes and then having to dig for them is a pain. The shelves would would but to keep them flat you would have to keep them at the bottom and that is a pain. I want one large shelf on the top of the cooler. The boards are going to work just fine. After I build it I will post pics. Probably take a couple of weeks to get everything together. Thanks for everyone's input just figured out how I'm going to do it.

Instead of using a sheet and cutting slits in it I'll just use the boards and they can make natural slits. With around a 2-3 inch wide rim around the outside. I will also have a couple of dividers in the middle of the tray for support. I will be running posts in the corners for a good flat layer.

How should I connect everything together? Any particular type of brad or glue that you could recommend. Thanks again.

If you can, try and use the cooler strictly for aging. Take a few of the cigars you don't smoke as often and put them in your cooler. Place singles you have less of in a more accessible humidor.

The Burn Ward

You could also keep a large or cab sized box (sans the lid) near the top for your singles.

nwb

QuoteCigarPlace - 6/6/2014  5:35 PM

That is quite generous.

Good luck with the project, Nick.  Looking forward to the pics.
Chief of Shaft

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.