Fridge for humidor

Started by dddddmorgan, 06/08/2014 06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dddddmorgan

Ok, so I have access to a 5 cf fridge, it works but I know not to use a compressor for cooling. So here's my question, do you think it will maintain a satisfactory temp if I can find space in the house without a cooling unit going?
Molon Labe!

Kevin48438

If it's not plugged in, it's esentially a big cooler.  I would clean and rinse it really well.
"I smoke in moderation. Only one cigar at a time." - Mark Twain

"There are two things worth living for, one is a good cigar, the other is a better one." - Unknown

StogieDad

I use a small fridge for this purpose,  not plugged in of course.  As Kevin stated, it's essentially a cooler.  Just didn't have a use for it after inheriting it and put it to good use.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

toby2

Cigary

I've talked this over with a lot of different people who have actually done this and the guys are giving you good info....clean it out with a good rinse of baking soda and water...no chemicals as the seals do a great job as  you will see.  Let the unit air out for at least 24 hours and put in a good media for RH ( I suggest kitty litter ) and let it sit for a good 8 hours and see where you RH is.  I would think it will be around 55 -60% once you check and see where it is then spritz the litter.  I would put in at the very least a pound of it along with about 8 sprays of distilled water.  Check again in 8 hours and see where you are and if it is between 63 and 70 % then it's safe to put in your cigars.

hebron

x2 on the cleaning it well part... Fridges tend to have their own smell, not something I would want in my cigars...
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

gitfiddl

I used one for a couple of years when I first got started.  It worked well.  The gasket finally started to crumble and I tossed it.

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

tvolball

Never thought about using and old frig. Man you talk storage. I would just make sure I do a good air exchange each week in it. A frig seals a whole lot tighter then most humi's
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.