Coolidor in the garage

Started by dddddmorgan, 06/10/2014 05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dddddmorgan

We'll I'm planning ahead. I certainly don't 'need' a coolidor right now but I want to be able to store boxes. 

So, I have both a big cooler and a small fridge I can use, in my opinion both about the same as far as capacity etc.

The question as the title hints is about keeping said coolidor in the garage where it gets fairly warm during hot Summer months; how to keep it below the dreaded 73 degrees?

Molon Labe!

scottvodka

All of my humidors are inside, but they are usually around 77. No problems yet. Knock on wood.

nwb

Rebecca Silverwolf uses dry ice in the summer months to keep the temperature down.
Chief of Shaft

DonM

Not to be on the negative side, but why would you want to keep your cigars in the garage?  Especially when you know that it gets warm in the summer? I know ID can get warm in the summer.  

A friend that smoke cigars infrequently (he actually got me started in smoking cigars some time ago) asked me the other day if leaving a cigar in his car would cause a cigar to not smoke properly and have the wrapper come apart.  I was a little amused by that, inside car temps in FL in the summer are brutal.

Rebecca's use of ice packs may not be the most common method to keep humidor temps down, but if it works I say go with it! :bigthumbs:

"The Curmudgeon"

wlfwalleye

I always wondered if it would work to put a coolidor inside of a working fridge. The coolidor should be airtight enough to not let the humidity out and the fridge could be dialed in to regulate temperature. I wouldn't think there would be any condensation build up in the coolidor at 65% humidity.  Hmmmm maybe  an experiment is in order.

aflicted

I am not sure I would leave them in my garage either.  Do you not have a coat closet that stays cool that you might could use?  I use the one in my house to store my carboys in when fermenting my beer.  Coats hang on the rack and the floor is generally unused space.  At least the coolidor won't leave your jackets smelling like CO2 and wort. :)

dddddmorgan

Well it's a pretty small house. It will be fine when we don't have two kids at home ;-)
I will converse with the wife. Might try to find a small cooler for now. The cooler in the fridge might be an interesting idea.
The small fridge I have on its warmest setting will probably get no colder than 60.
Molon Labe!

nwb

You could always do tupperdors, which fit nicely under the bed or in the back of a closet.
Chief of Shaft

hebron

Quotenwb - 6/11/2014  2:03 PM

You could always do tupperdors, which fit nicely under the bed or in the back of a closet.
:word:
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

DonM

Keep in mind that the RH in a fridge is low so a coolidor in a fridge would have to be air tight to maintain proper RH.  Temperature affects the RH as well.  I am not a rocket scientist so I am not sure how that would affect the actual RH at the lower temps in a fridge.  

IMO, I too would seek out unused closet space and go with a tupperdor or several depending on your storage needs.

"The Curmudgeon"

ntanner

Just grow a pair and tell the wife you are going to put them in the living room were you can see them all the time, then you can be in the garage with youre cigars and be able to keep an eye on them to make sure they aren't being effected by the temp. :biggrin:
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

nwb

Quotentanner - 6/11/2014  9:27 AM
Just grow a pair and tell the wife you are going to put them in the living room were you can see them all the time, then you can be in the garage with youre cigars and be able to keep an eye on them to make sure they aren't being effected by the temp. :biggrin:

:lmao:
Chief of Shaft

dddddmorgan

We'll thanks for the advice. I've been talking it over with the wife and she hit on the idea of a coffee table that can serve as the humidor. I will hopefully have it planned out as a winter project.

The boss hit on idea I hadn't thought of, we have these huge plastic organizers that slide under the bed that I could hijack one and find Tupperware that would fit in it.
Molon Labe!

goathead

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.