Coolidor project - need a little help

Started by kxthor911, 06/10/2014 06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kxthor911

Ok first off I'm at work as usual so typing this on my phone. So forgive me if grammar isn't perfect. 

Ok so here is what I want to do. Just bought a new 165 quart cool that I want to turn into a mini tower. I'm going to using cedar planks to build shelves with legs on the bottom that will stand on the shelf below (I can attach a picture tonight when home if needed). The way I'm going to build the shelves they will have natural slats in them for air movement. I'm going to use Spanish cedar for all the planks. 

Now question one is I want some 2 inch by 2 inch boards under the cedar for support and I also want to use the same stuff for the legs. So what type of material can I use for this?

Now for question two. I am not a wood worker by trade and do not know how to do the wood working tongue and groove system. So what type of screws or paneling nails can I use for this project. My first two guesses would be small stainless steel or brass screws?

I will be updating this thread as I do the build. Cooler came in last night and I'm getting excited. Thanks for the help guys. 

Hello my name is Nick and I just bought a box of... (courtesy of Stephen and Rob(serious cigars))

Yes its fast, no you cant drive it.

gitfiddl

A good while back (maybe a couple of years) there was thread here about a guy who made shelves, trays, and drawers for various brands of coolers.  It would take more searching than I can do right now to find it, but the pics posted there might give you some ideas.

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

kxthor911

Yea that's golfnut or forest. I have bought from him once. I'm doing it myself this time though. He does the tongue and grove style.
Hello my name is Nick and I just bought a box of... (courtesy of Stephen and Rob(serious cigars))

kxthor911

Ok. So new question now. I found some shelves to use so no need to build my own. Question now is can I stack shelves directly on top of each other or should I put small feet on each one to raise it for air movement. Opinions needed. Thanks

nwb

Quotekxthor911 - 6/11/2014  7:56 AM

Ok. So new question now. I found some shelves to use so no need to build my own. Question now is can I stack shelves directly on top of each other or should I put small feet on each one to raise it for air movement. Opinions needed. Thanks

In my tower, I stack the shelves with no "feet".  Since the shelves themselves have slits, there seems to be plenty of air movement.
Chief of Shaft

kxthor911

Nathan in your tower your probably have circulation fans that move air around. In the cooler I will not have that. So without air movement do you think the shelves need feet. Thanks Nathan.

nwb

Quotekxthor911 - 6/11/2014  9:06 AM

Nathan in your tower your probably have circulation fans that move air around. In the cooler I will not have that. So without air movement do you think the shelves need feet. Thanks Nathan.

I don't have fans in my humidor.  The only thing circulating the air is the main unit (Oasis XL II) and me opening/closing the door.

It definitely won't hurt to put some kind of spacers between the shelves.  The one thing that I have to watch out for in my current setup is larger RG cigars in the bottom shelves being crushed if they are stacked 2 deep.  Of course, that depends on the depth of the shelves in your setup.
Chief of Shaft

kxthor911

Thanks Nathan all good info here. The note about the ring gauge of the cigars being stacked is very helpful. Thanks.

sjn1117

Do you still need the Spanish cedar Nick?
why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.