New guy from Georgia

Started by beanasdad, 10/03/2007 04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beanasdad

Hi all.  My name is Brandon from S. Georgia.  I'm 33 and have never smoked ANYTHING (I swear!)  However, while cigarettes disgust me, I'm intrigued with the idea of cigars.  I literally know nothing about cigars, and looking for any advice on where to start.  I'm sure I would want to start w/ a mild, but I'm not sure what brands might be best.  Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks... Brandon

tnt956

Welcome, Brandon!

I would recommend that you learn how to select good cigars and store them (or just smoke them right away).  Also, learning how to properly cut a cigar and light them is very important.

I would suggest going with a mild cigar the first few times you smoke.  Also, stick to a smaller size like a robusto or corona.  And select one of the popular brand of cigars to start.  You usually can't go wrong with a Macanundo.

Of course, feel free to ask away as there are many knowledgeable members here!

Ted

beanasdad

Ted,

Thanks for the info.  I've heard Macanundo mentioned several times as a mild that could be good to start with.  I still need to acquaint myself with the different sizes.

I've read the article on here about cutting, but I haven't come across anything about lighting.... but I've only been here for an hour or so.

Thanks again,
Brandon

Proph

Longer cigars usually burn cooler and have a smoother more mild taste, but that's not a rule.
Starting out with a Churchill is probably a good bet.  
Look for a wrapper that's not too dark, a light tan is usually mild.  
Most cigars in the $5-$10 range are average to good in flavor.  

Yeah.  I'd read up on cutting and lighting.  

I usually like to cut a full cut so the most smoke makes it through, but as close to the tip as possible so the wrapper doesn't unravel.  
Then I usually put it in my mouth and get it wet, that helps it keep from coming undone if you accidentally cut it a little off.
Then I only use wood matches, I light one and let it sit for a second until the head is burnt, then I roll the foot(end) of the cigar around as I hold the foot to the flame.  I hold it at an angle.
Then once the outside of the foot is lit, I hold up a new match about a quarter to a half inch from the foot and with it in my mouth, I start to suck the air through it while turning it to get it lit.  If the end flares up, I make sure to turn it more until the foot is lit.  
Then, take some long slow puffs to get it lit nice, and let it sit for 30s-1m to let it cool down.
Then I smoke it.  Making sure I keep turning it so it burns evenly.  Most avg real cigars burn even, but sometimes you'll get one that doesn't, especially if you hold it in any way other than level.  I smoke it slow, to keep it cool, usually taking a quick puff to make sure it's burning well followed by a long slow puff to get some smoke.
Then I enjoy until I can only hold it with two fingertips.

-A torch lighter is an acceptable substitute for wood matches, especially if it's windy and you're outside.
-Longer is usually better, at least in my experience, though bigger ring gauge doesn't necessarily mean better.
-Torpedo cigars are easy to cut, maybe a good one to start with.
-Candela(green) wrapped cigars are very smooth and mild, though the flavor is a little unique, so starting with a tan one is probably best.
-Keep it burning cool for the best flavor.
-To keep it from going out, puff it quick a couple times if it's dying instead of relighting after it goes out.

A review of the 5 star rated cigars in the cigar database would be a good start.  

:smoker:
"Do not be too timid or squeamish about your actions, all life is an experiment." -Ralph W. Emerson

monteclaro

Welcome Brandon!  You can look at gthe articles paul has on the site as a place to start with a read.  I would suggest a good draker maduro wrapper.  I remember when I first started i was with a lighter milder cigar and the flavor was so uniteresting to me I almost didn't pick up another one.  I think you can't go wrong with searching the reviews here, but would suggest a Rocky Patel Vintage 90 or 92.  Very good smokes.  They might be fuller but have more flavor to enjoy.

JF
Hmmm...what to smoke, what to smoke...
http://www.cigargeeks.com/humidor/default....mber=monteclaro

theoldcc

:welcome: Brandon!  I think you've had some good suggestions here already.  I like the idea of trying a Maduro as well.  They tend to have the sweetest (natural sweet - not flavored) wrappers.  And most people eventually gravitate to them before they gravitate away from them again.   :-)

Good luck and let us know how your new experience goes!

*P
"The most interesting information comes from children, for
they tell all they know and then stop." - Mark Twain
My Smokes

ljlemer

You might actually do better with a panatela or lonsdale. Remember, you are not in any competition, so put the cigar out if it is getting too much for you. You have to accustom yourself to the nicotine and getting too much too soon will get you sick to your stomach and that's a lousy first experience.

I'll give you some personal and unusual advice. Try getting a hold of some low dose nicotine gum and start with one piece. Let your body adjust to nicotine. I did this when I went back after many years. I made the mistake of putting on a full-strength patch and my head spun for hours. They have really small cigars, like petit coronas if you want to start slowly. Also look into pipe smoking. I love it.

One last word. Are you SURE you want to get into an addictive, expensive and continually more unpopular habit? I get a lot of gratification from it. It's fun. But it can be a pain in the ass as fewer and fewer places are available for smoking and hostility from non-smokers and the government is growing. Lastly, while healthier than cigarettes, it's not exactly a health food. Women, in general, hate the smell. Think about it.
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

Proph

Yeah.. a Rocky Patel is a good first choice.  I've liked every one of them I've smoked, though I prefer some more than others.  Don't think you can go wrong there.

Gum?  Patches?  Small cigars?  Maybe I have a really strong constitution, but I've never had to ease into cigars, even when I went a couple years without one I still got the biggest one I could find when I go back into it.  Heh..

I love pipe tobacco flavor.. but I dislike having to pay so much attention to keeping it lit.. and the pipe feels weird hanging outta my mouth.  I have one of those Sherlock Holmes pipes.  :P
"Do not be too timid or squeamish about your actions, all life is an experiment." -Ralph W. Emerson

ljlemer

The ONLY RP I've ever really liked is his new Connecticut. The rest taste harsh and bitter to me, the LAST thing I'd recommend to a newbie. I'd recommend a Gispert or a Placencia Organica, or maybe a sweet Drew Estates ACID.
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

mistagordo

Welcome Brandon!  Sounds like you've got a lot of good suggestions.  I like the RP and Montecristo choices.

Steve

SenorPablo

Belated welcome to the site Brandon!

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

mhuss

I also send along a belated welcome to you.  I'm new to the site as well, but getting going is easy!  This site has a lot of great articles to get up to speed with.  Smoking cigars can be as easy as you want, or as complicated as you'd like.  Sometimes I complicate things by going after big cigars or trying a really "expert-level" type of thing with my humidor that I'm not really ready for yet.  So keep it simple for the first few weeks or months, and then when you feel you have the basics down, you can take that next step and go for something a little more intermediate.  There's nothing to be intimidated about.  Just go out there and go for it!  The best way to learn is by doing.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.