Glass in humidor?

Started by dddddmorgan, 06/18/2014 05:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dddddmorgan

I'm going to use my cooler for a storage humidor. That being said I want to upgrade, snobbish eh?

After looking at many humidors I'm confused as to why so many cabinet, and plenty of smaller ones too, have glass in them. I hear all the time that sunlight is the enemy!

Is this because it's assumed the humidors are inside the house?

Molon Labe!

nwb

Almost every tower type humidor you come across has a glass front.  As long as you don't have it standing in front of your windows, the glass isn't a problem.
Chief of Shaft

ntanner

It's a show piece, you need to look at those pretty little gems. Like Nathan said, just dont set it with the glass facing a large window.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

hebron

Here is what is says in the Cigar Storage article:

QuoteLight is the least important factor in cigar storage. The biggest effect of light is the extra heat it generates. Light will also cause the cigar wrapper to fade, losing its natural color. Avoid storing your humidor in direct sunlight. It is generally accepted that cigars will age better in darkened conditions. If you are using a standard humidor it will seal off any external light so this is not so much of a worry. Just don't leave on your end table in front of a window that receives direct sunlight.

I do not think a humidor belongs outside... The climate is kind of hard to control, and... why would you have your humidor outside?
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

Joelala

I think it is definitely assumed humidors belong inside the house. I enjoy the glass, I can check the RH without doing anything but peaking through the glass.
Joe

scottvodka

Quotehebron - 6/18/2014  9:09 AM

QuoteLight is the least important factor in cigar storage. The biggest effect of light is the extra heat it generates. Light will also cause the cigar wrapper to fade, losing its natural color. Avoid storing your humidor in direct sunlight. It is generally accepted that cigars will age better in darkened conditions. If you are using a standard humidor it will seal off any external light so this is not so much of a worry. Just don't leave on your end table in front of a window that receives direct sunlight.

I do not think a humidor belongs outside... The climate is kind of hard to control, and... why would you have your humidor outside?

Took the words out of my mouth. I can think of a half dozen things immediately that worry me more than light.

McBryde

Quotehebron - 6/18/2014  8:09 AM

Mine stays in my truck. It kind of has too, since most of my smoking time is now in it.

E
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

scottvodka

QuoteMcBryde - 6/18/2014  9:53 AM

Quotehebron - 6/18/2014  8:09 AM

Mine stays in my truck. It kind of has too, since most of my smoking time is now in it.

E

any problems arising from the heat inside your truck?

05Venturer

I would think that the glass would also be advantageous for looking a the sticks to see what you are gonna grab before opening it up. Less time open is much better to keep stable RH.
Kinda like standing in front of the fridge with the door open. :biggrin:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

nwb

Quote05Venturer - 6/18/2014  11:54 AM
I would think that the glass would also be advantageous for looking a the sticks to see what you are gonna grab before opening it up. Less time open is much better to keep stable RH.
Kinda like standing in front of the fridge with the door open. :biggrin:

I agree.  If I had to open my humidor to look at what I wanted, all my cigars would be dry as a bone.  I've been known to sit and stare for a "few" minutes. :biggrin:
Chief of Shaft

dddddmorgan

I just realized the error of my wording.
Good point about being able to look for what you want without having to open the door.
Molon Labe!

Cigary

Humidors are much like their owners....they come in so many different forms and over the years I have changed my habits as far as what I want my cigars to hibernate in.  I've spent more money on humidors than most...they can really cost a lot of money because of what they are made of...who made them..how many they will hold..etc.  I have gone from expensive to downright cheap means of humidors for my cigars and at this time I have gone to coolers which hold so much and the RH holds at 67% w/o variance and that pleases me.  I keep a lot of cedar in it to give off that aroma I love.  I keep 3 tupperadors to hold cigars that I will smoke within a months time and then refill those when I need to.

The scuttlebutt on humidors with glass is what has already been talked about....try not to position them in direct sunlight....some are not made well and the seal from the glass to the wood over time degrades.  When I keep my tupperadors I ensure that my hygrometer is at a position where I can read it w/o having to open the top.  My advice for those who are looking at humidors over your lifetime....buy good cigars and save your money on then instead of those expensive humis...I wish I had taken this advice myself as I know over the years I've spent at least $6000 on humidors...that would have gone a long way in buying those ultra premiums I love so much.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.