Age calculation (and boxcodes)

Started by Django, 06/24/2014 01:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Django

Hi all,

I just wanted to report a minor pet peeve I have about the DB:
When adding cigars to My humidor I can state the date purchased (which is indeed a much needed parameter). The age of said cigar is than calculated based on this date. However, there is often allready some age on the smokes when acquiring a box/cigar. The calculated age in this case only has limited indicative relevance.

This is even more relevant when it comes to (aging) CC's, but also on NC's. Would it be possible to add a parameter for boxcode/construction date? At the moment I add this info in the comments field, but I haven't added my full collection yet and it would be nice to be able to select/analyze based on 'true' cigar age without exrtacting to excel  :biggrin:

Newbhunter

add it to the comments section (ie-box date June 2009) make out that number to todays date (ie-468days).
this will all display under your entry in your humidor, add that to "age" displayed and you'll have true age. Since there is no such date available, this is your easy fix. hope that helps...

nwb

So you want both a "box code date" and a "date purchased" field?  Although I like the idea, it wouldn't be applicable for the vast majority of members here.  Since we can't obtain Cuban cigars and the majority of non-Cubans don't include a date boxed, these are often one and the same.

When I actually have a date on the box, I use that as date purchased.  Then I make a note in the comments section on when they went into the humidor.  This allows me to sort by "oldest" cigar.
Chief of Shaft

05Venturer

Quotenwb - 6/24/2014  7:15 AM

So you want both a "box code date" and a "date purchased" field?  Although I like the idea, it wouldn't be applicable for the vast majority of members here.  Since we can't obtain Cuban cigars and the majority of non-Cubans don't include a date boxed, these are often one and the same.

When I actually have a date on the box, I use that as date purchased.  Then I make a note in the comments section on when they went into the humidor.  This allows me to sort by "oldest" cigar.

x2
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

hebron

Quotenwb - 6/24/2014  2:15 PM

That is a great tip, haven't thought about that.

I think all changes to the virtual humidor also require modifications on the iPhone and Android applications... So no such thing as a quick and easy fix I think.
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

toby2

or you could just not give a sh!t reach into your humidor light up a smoke and relax. keep repeating until the urge to care fades away. a few drinks helps the process along.

Django

Quotetoby2 - 6/23/2014  3:19 PM

or you could just not give a sh!t reach into your humidor light up a smoke and relax. keep repeating until the urge to care fades away. a few drinks helps the process along.
Although this is how I select my NC's mostly, this is not really an option for CC's given the, usually disappointing, taste the first year (or even years sometimes) and the astounding evolution a cigar goes through in the following years.

[Brag mode]
Furthermore it would be a shame to blindly grab a quick smoke and finding out I just lit a 50yo CC  :whistle:
[/Brag mode]

Edit: The option given by nwb sounds very useable!

Jackal

I just put the box code in the notes section.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

BlackIrish

Quote05Venturer - 6/24/2014  8:19 AM

Quotenwb - 6/24/2014  7:15 AM

x2

Ditto.  Putting the box code in the notes section works, but then the automatic age calculation runs from the purchase date, and then I need to do some math. If I put the box code in the "date purchased" field and the date purchased in the notes, I get the correct age and avoid the math.  :thumbsup:
(__
  • ___{{{~[/B]

nwb

QuoteDjango - 6/24/2014  9:51 AM
Furthermore it would be a shame to blindly grab a quick smoke and finding out I just lit a 50yo CC  :whistle:

That's almost as bad a blindly grabbing a quick smoke and finding out it is a Pineapple White Owl.

Almost.
Chief of Shaft

Django

Quotenwb - 6/23/2014  6:29 PM

That's almost as bad a blindly grabbing a quick smoke and finding out it is a Pineapple White Owl.

Almost.
Luckily, I can only agree based on hear say.

And no, you may not have my addy  :smoker2:

Longhorn

Quotetoby2 - 6/24/2014  9:19 AM

I just spewed ice tea all over my work office... :lmao:

Kman

QuoteLonghorn - 6/24/2014  2:05 PM  
Quotetoby2 - 6/24/2014  9:19 AM  or you could just not give a sh!t reach into your humidor light up a smoke and relax. keep repeating until the urge to care fades away. a few drinks helps the process along.

x2 Classic!!

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

hebron

QuoteLonghorn - 6/24/2014  8:05 PM

Quotetoby2 - 6/24/2014  9:19 AM

You have got to stop drinking ice tea by your desk bro!  :biggrin:
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

Feldenak

For my ISOMs, I just put the Box Code date in the date purchased field. For example, the PSD4s I just acquired had a box date of JUN13, while I may have bought them in June 2014, I picked the middle of June last year as my purchase date.
https://www.facebook.com/CigarsForTroops

Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football. ~ John Heisman

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.