Humidor and cigars

Started by Chip Lemaster, 06/24/2014 08:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chip Lemaster

Hi guys, again,,,
I buy a box of cigars, unwrapped, wrapped and in tubes, yep all three,,
Do I take them out of there box, wrappers or tube and put them in the humidor?
Or leave them in the box removing a few to restock my smoking humidor...
Recently I purchased some five Vegas tubos, and never enjoyed one, the wrapper at the head, the cut end, cracked and broke off up past the shoulder, sad experience truly,,,I know that wasn't me, after the first I took them out of the tube, placed in my 72/69, humidor for over a month, Saturday was the last one, barely touched the cutters to the cigar when it to broke.
Should I tell about the easy pick ones,,,, of these the first day, was a great experience, but  burn issues, great taste, the second wouldn't stay lit and was bitter, the third was so tight, not even a hurricane could get air through it, the fourth was ok, but the center was wet and would not burn and the last of the five, burned horrible, peninsula's that turned to islands,, knocked the ash off the wrapper 1/4 inch was un burned, but all under was ash,,, I read reviews that this was common in this brand, so not so worried, I have had only one other cigar burn irregular out of 30+ cigars thus month,,, but, it did correct it self before I used a lighter on it..
Guess, I need to know, what to do, leave in tube or wrapper, leave in box or not...

Oh, yes, I did calibrate the hygrometer,,,,,used the salt and damp rag methods... Seasoned the humidors, so not thinking it's an issue, even use two meters

hebron

There was a post about this a while back: http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=28874.0

When it comes to leaving the cello on or of, read this article: http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=articles;sa=view;article=40
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

Chip Lemaster

Guess, that leaves the tube question,,,,,lol so wrapper on box bad, needs to go for inspection, on cigars yes, no, maybe,  take my pick,,,,
Thanks, for those links.

nwb

For the tube question, I take the cap off but leave the cigar in the tube.  My reasoning is it will breath better and prevent mold.
Chief of Shaft

Vroomp

I too uncap tubes but, will usually remove cedar sleeves as well. I have had mold develop under those things on a couple sticks in the past.....
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

BewareDaPenguin

QuoteVroomp - 6/24/2014  11:45 AM

I too uncap tubes but, will usually remove cedar sleeves as well. I have had mold develop under those things on a couple sticks in the past.....

What do you do if they are in cedar sleeves & cellos Brad? Like some Fuente sticks are; Añejo"s, Casa Fuente"s, etc? I have a few that have the cedar sleeves on.
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

hebron

QuoteBewareDaPenguin - 6/24/2014  7:01 PM

What do you do if they are in cedar sleeves & cellos Brad? Like some Fuente sticks are; Añejo"s, Casa Fuente"s, etc? I have a few that have the cedar sleeves on.
Interesting question indeed.
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

Longhorn

QuoteBewareDaPenguin - 6/24/2014  1:01 PM

Smoke them.   :dancing:

hebron

Quotenwb - 6/24/2014  6:33 PM

For the tube question, I take the cap off but leave the cigar in the tube.  My reasoning is it will breath better and prevent mold.
:word:

That is what I do as well. I save the caps though, for easy transport if needed.
- Thomas

scottvodka

Quotenwb - 6/24/2014  12:33 PM

I typically do that, but with the 5 Vegas Limitada Tenth I left the sealed cork on. Haven't had any problems with the wrapper breaking, though. Could it be your cutter, Chip?

lubrix

QuoteBewareDaPenguin - 6/24/2014  12:01 PM

I take the cedar sleeves off and carefully put them back into their cello's.
----
Guru of ruining the moment.

Jackal

Quotelubrix - 6/24/2014  12:18 PM

QuoteBewareDaPenguin - 6/24/2014  12:01 PM

I take the cedar sleeves off and carefully put them back into their cello's.

I have seen a few people do this.  Those Anejos can mold under the sleeve.  Haven't had it happen to me, but have talked to people who have had it happen to them.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Chip Lemaster

No was not my cutter,,, some of them started out of the tube the one in my humidor I barely had in hand to cut, just touched the end when it came apart,,,

Chip Lemaster

I honestly think they were a bad batch of limited tubes,,,, as all five did the same thing... Called CI they couldn't do anything as I tossed them when they fell apart, but did help by a small gift card for letting them know about the problem,,,

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.