Costa Rican coffee sells for $41.20/lb.

Started by amigodecigars, 06/24/2014 03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amigodecigars

Luis Enrique Navarro of Monte Copey in Dota, Tarrazú, winner of the Cup of Excellence in May, received $41.20/lb. for his beans.          Maruyama Coffee, Sugi Coffee Roasting, Ponpon Coffee, and Orsir Coffee of Taiwan purchased 1,518 lbs. of Navarro’s coffee for $62,541.60.

Coffee futures traded at roughly $1.76/lb. Tuesday.  A little more than half of Costa Rica’s roasted coffee is exported to the United States and Canada.

"There are plenty of good five-cent cigars in the country. The trouble is they cost a quarter. What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel."  Franklin Pierce Adams

toby2

good for them. would love to try some.

my favorite region is still the Andes then Brazil. a relative brought me back some Blue Mountain from a trip to ganja island and while it was not bad it wasn't all that great either. the price is higher than the weed they sell.... :biggrin:

Smurf

orbis non sufficit

amigodecigars

COSTA RICAS FAMOUS COFFEE PLANTATIONS WERE FIRST ESTABLISHED WITH PLANTS BROUGHT FROM CUBA IN THE LATE 1700S. COSTA RICA TARRAZU IS FULL BODIED WITH A PLEASANT ACIDITY.  THIS COFFEE IS BEST MADE IN A CAFETIERE/FRENCH PRESS AND ALLOWED TO BREW FOR 3-4 MINUTES. COSTA RICAN TARRAZU IS FULL BODIED WITH A PLEASANT ACIDITY.  100% ARABICA COFFEE.

"There are plenty of good five-cent cigars in the country. The trouble is they cost a quarter. What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel."  Franklin Pierce Adams

Cigary

I loves me some good coffee....will have to search this kind and read reviews about it.  While the pricing is a bit steep I still love a good cup of coffee and when you consider how much a pound of coffee is in relation to how many cups it makes...it's still a bargain as we pay around $5 a cup to fork over to Coffee Houses.

Caveman Steve

The next time I pay $5 for a cup of coffee, please shoot me. 

DUNKIN DOUGHNUTS Coffee is awesome for $2.  And some people think that is outrageous!

:-0  

"yesterday I did nothing, and today I'm finishing what I did yesterday"

Vroomp

There was a web site that sold rare coffees online that listed several that were over $300 per pound and I believe that Kopi costs around $500!
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

tvolball

I love some good coffee and have paid around $20 for a pound a couple of times, but sheez this is a little high for me.
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

nwb

That is some expensive coffee.

I've tried some high-end beans before, but they weren't great enough to warrant the extra cost.  Some of the best coffee I've ever had was home roasted by a fellow Geek. :thumbsup:
Chief of Shaft

nirab

Just like cigars, there is too much good coffee available for much, much less. Couldn't afford a coffee mug if I bought that stuff!  :biggrin:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

DonM

About now I would pay the $, hotel room coffee sucks!  I want some fresh beans and my French press about now

"The Curmudgeon"

nwb

QuoteDonM - 6/25/2014  9:28 AM
About now I would pay the $, hotel room coffee sucks!  I want some fresh beans and my French press about now

That is the only time I'll actually go to a coffee shop.  Hotel coffee is terrible.
Chief of Shaft

amigodecigars

Quotenwb - 6/25/2014  7:31 AM  
QuoteDonM - 6/25/2014  9:28 AM About now I would pay the $, hotel room coffee sucks!  I want some fresh beans and my French press about now
That is the only time I'll actually go to a coffee shop.  Hotel coffee is terrible.

Most supermarket & hotel coffee is exclusively robusta, and instant and cheap ground coffees are certainly robusta. You can still find Arabica in the grocery store, but just because it's labeled Arabica does not mean it's of high quality. Amazon has 5 lbs. of Tarrazu for $38.00, this is the only brand that I would select on Amazon:

5 Lb. Bag, Costa Rica Tarrazu, Whole Bean, Fresh Roasted Coffee LLC

by Fresh Roasted Coffee LLC.

12 customer reviews

BewareDaPenguin

Glad I'm not a coffee drinker sounds like it can get expensive :-0
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

nwb

QuoteBewareDaPenguin - 6/25/2014  10:48 AM
Glad I'm not a coffee drinker sounds like it can get expensive :-0

It can be.  However, there are a ton of good coffees for less than $10/lb, which will last quite a while unless you drink coffee all day, every day.
Chief of Shaft

amigodecigars

And for all of the Texas Geeks who like to shop at Spec's, along with great cigars you can also find Tarrazu coffee from Costa Rica.

http://www.specsonline.com/cgi-bin/showpage?keyword=costa+rican+coffee&pageid=search

nirab

Quoteamigodecigars - 6/25/2014  11:19 AM

And for all of the Texas Geeks who like to shop at Spec's, along with great cigars you can also find Tarrazu coffee from Costa Rica.

http://www.specsonline.com/cgi-bin/showpage?keyword=costa+rican+coffee&pageid=search

I get my Maine Root Ginger Brew there, along with Topo Chico mineral water...and of course, some cigars. Will have to look for this, as long as I don't have to donate an organ to pay for it!  :biggrin:  :shy:  :angel:

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

amigodecigars

Quotenirab - 6/25/2014  11:47 AM  

I get my Maine Root Ginger Brew there, along with Topo Chico mineral water...and of course, some cigars. Will have to look for this, as long as I don't have to donate an organ to pay for it!  :biggrin:  :shy:  :angel:

Looks like $10.92 a pound for medium roast whole beans....not too bad. When you are there, ask them when they will be getting some Costa Rican cigars  :cigarguy:

nirab

Quoteamigodecigars - 6/25/2014  1:05 PM

Quotenirab - 6/25/2014  11:47 AM  

Looks like $10.92 a pound for medium roast whole beans....not too bad. When you are there, ask them when they will be getting some Costa Rican cigars  :cigarguy:

That is a reasonable price, will look for some this weekend. How about you send some Costa Rican cigars and I can leave them some samples? I do have contact with the regional manager for Spec's cigar dept, not that it will help much, but...just sayin'!  :biggrin:  :angel:

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

Thich Nhat Hanh

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

amigodecigars

nirab...some cigars are headin your way.  I stopped at the local supermarket today and bought a bag of Dota Tarrazu med. roast whole beans...$8.50/lb.
If anyone is interested, I could mail a bag to the states and maybe include a couple of cigars! Send me a PM.  The bag is 400 grams and costs $6.75.

Cigary

Hey John.....I'd be interested in a bag/sample of those beans...I PM'd you and would like to drink some of that coffee from those beans...400 grams or a pound is good for me.

Cigary

Just got a bag of this stuff and WOWWWWWW.....the aroma is intoxicating and will drink at least a half of a pot in the morning with a nice medium cigar...should hit Nirvana 10 minutes later.

Monte

I just bought some Costa Rican SHB Tarrazu micro lot at Marlton Coffee online,
I buy green beans and roast my own. I think it was 7.50 and less for 5 or more.

And It is amazing

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.