Reluctance To Try Tupperdors

Started by 1029henry, 07/05/2014 01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1029henry

I think that many cigar smokers feel that a wood humidor is a necessity, either because it looks cool or they don't think the plastic containers or coolers will look right in their home. I work with a couple guys that smoke cigars occasionally. I've advised both of them to try the Tupperdor route, and they both said "Right, whatever." Both have approached me recently and complained to me that their wood humidors are not keeping a stable RH, that the RH is all over the place, and their cigars aren't burning well. It's been hot here recently, and most people run their A/C, which can affect humidity in the home. I've told them about the plastic option, but they're not having it. One of them told me "But the wood humidor looks so bad-ass! I can't put a Tupperware container on display." Well then, enjoy your dried out cigars, Sir. At least you'll have a bad-ass looking wood box. Meanwhile, all 3 of my Igloo coolers and all 6 of my Rubbermaid containers have been holding a steady 65% to 67% RH for years. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
"What a kid I got, I told him about the birds and the bees and he told me about the butcher and my wife"

"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them"

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met"
-Rodney Dangerfield

bmac7754

It's nice to have on display, but in the long run it's better to keep your expensive hobby alive and properly taken care of.  I use a couple small plastic containers with boveda packs, and they hold just as good as my more expensive wood humidors.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

dddddmorgan

Molon Labe!

wescat

Your patience is commendable Dave. Most emotional decision makers care not a whit for logic or physics.
The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

1029henry

LOL! And a bargain at only $320!!!!!!
"What a kid I got, I told him about the birds and the bees and he told me about the butcher and my wife"

"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them"

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met"
-Rodney Dangerfield

DonM

I am still old school with a 500 ct humidor that holds humidity and the RH stays right where I want it. If I ended extra storage, it would be a tupperdor or an igloo. Hey, either way, enjoy those cigars!

"The Curmudgeon"

Cigary

I love tupperadors and at my highest count I had 20 of them and still use about 5.  I've since put most of my stock in a cooler and that's another story.  Tupperware can rival some of the best wood humidors out there as I've set some up that consistently locked in RH at whatever percentage i wanted.  The key to success is to line the bottom and sides with cedar sheets to get that transfer to your cigars and as I said...it works.  I have 3 great wood humis that cost well into the high hundreds and the aroma it gives off when opened is intoxicating and I wanted to be able to copy that with tupperware and I did....except the cost was only $14 total for a size that held over 250 cigars.

tvolball

I have started using a couple of tupperdors. I really like them. They keep great humidity. I put some pieces of an old cigar box in there to serve as humidity media and also add a little flavor.
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

johncw

I couldn't agree more... I have had real success with my tupperdores.

Mojo66

So long as my cigars stay in a stable environment, I don't much care what they are stored in.

I use wood humidors, Coolers and Tupperware and am equally satisfied by all three. The coolers are surely the ones that are the least affected by temperature changes and keep a razor sharp RH level, right where you want it so it that sense, they are the ideal storage.
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

Ted

I've found that my coolers help to insulate from the added heat of summer as well. I ended up throwing the two small tupperdors into my big coolers. They did keep humidity the best of all the storage containers I've tried, but now they're mostly regulated to travel duty.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.