Cigar boxes....?

Started by Chip Lemaster, 07/06/2014 02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chip Lemaster

I was reading the question and replies on the opening of a humidor/coolidor to allow fresh air in, and one reply was, ..to check my boxes for mold..., which lead me to my question for the days dummy?
When storing a box of cigars,, should one open it, or just store it as is, removing the cellophane wrapper it comes in,,, then break the tax tags and inspect them,,,,or leave intact,,,
 :shy:

timpellis

I always open mine, there is no recourse a year later if something was wrong.  I also like to leave my boxes ajar in the humidor.

gitfiddl

Quotetimpellis - 7/6/2014  5:37 PM

I always open mine, there is no recourse a year later if something was wrong.  I also like to leave my boxes ajar in the humidor.

When is a cigar box not a cigar box?

:confused:  :?:  :confused:  :?:   :confused:

When it's a jar!!!!!

:lmao:  :dancing:  :biggrin:  :cheer:  :party:  :cheer:  :biggrin:  :dancing:  :lmao:
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Ted

:lmao:  @ git!

I always open mine, for the same reasons timpellis mentioned. Additionally I like to add a sticker to each cigar so I can see the age without having to look it up.

Longhorn

:lmao: at gitfiddl... :biggrin:

Open them, quick inspection and then put them back.  I don't leave the boxes open - cigar boxes are intended to store cigars!

timpellis

Tough room, no respect I tell ya, no respect

Mautrak

Just like Schroedinger's cat which was both alive and dead before opening the box, the cigars inside are both moldy and clean, both beetle-infested and clean, both dried out and properly humid, both beaten to death and in great shape.  I always open the box upon receipt or soon thereafter just to find out what's inside.  Once I know, problems can be dealt with or I can look forward to the future.

I then generally keep the cigars in their respective boxes, and either open the lid from time to time or keep the lid open.

gitfiddl

QuoteMautrak - 7/6/2014  6:20 PM

Just like Schroedinger's cat which was both alive and dead before opening the box, the cigars inside are both moldy and clean, both beetle-infested and clean, both dried out and properly humid, both beaten to death and in great shape.  I always open the box upon receipt or soon thereafter just to find out what's inside.  Once I know, problems can be dealt with or I can look forward to the future.

I then generally keep the cigars in their respective boxes, and either open the lid from time to time or keep the lid open.

I Schroedingered her cat?  I didn't know she had a cat...

:dancing:  :dancing:  :dancing:  :dancing:

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Shukpaw

I almost always open mine.  I want to check the condition, and I feel they age better.
I'm right 98% of the time.  Who cares about the other 3%?

Mojo66

Dave's on fire :lmao:

Always inspect your cigars upon reception or better yet, open the box before you buy it. That's unfortunately not always possible. Only in certain places, certain countries and regretfully not an option with on line orders.

For storage, I use thin Spanish cedar spacers so the lid on boxes does not completely close, but that's probably just because I sometimes have too much time on my hands.
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

dddddmorgan

I'm in with the clowns for the most part ;-) Open the box for inspection, it's meant to store your cigars the way it is, open or closed, doesn't matter but if closed they should be opened once in a while. I've purchased a few empty boxes from my local store to keep my singles in while they rest in the coolidor, I don't like them rattling around and this imparts the cedar seasoning. WTH about the cat? 
Molon Labe!

Mojo66

Quotedddddmorgan - 7/7/2014  9:56 PM ... WTH about the cat? 

If you weren't kidding, here, look it up, it's pretty interesting stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schr%C3%B6dinger%27s_cat

"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.