New guy from PA

Started by mhuss, 10/04/2007 07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhuss

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to introduce myself.  My name is Mike, and I live just outside Reading, PA.  I've been smoking cigars for about 10 years or so.  I am just getting back into them after a brief break.  My favorites include Don Diego (especially the Maduro Grande), 5 Vegas (Gold and Classic) and just about any Gurkha.  I'm lucky enough to have a few outstanding cigar stores in my area.  I'm looking forward to reading all the reviews and forum posts.  Thanks for having me!

Mike

Proph

Good deal.  Welcome.  

I like to see cigar reviews in the database.  Saves me time and $.  Hehe.  The more ppl that join and review, the better.

I like 5 Vegas too, and Ghurka haven't disappointed me yet.

:smoker:
"Do not be too timid or squeamish about your actions, all life is an experiment." -Ralph W. Emerson

theoldcc

Hi Mike!  Yes you do have some good cigars stores there in PA.  Ever been to the new CI store there?  You've got some good favorite smokes.  The only complaint I have about Gurkha is the inconsistency in the quality of the construction.  The flavor is usually good though.  If they could just figure out how to keep the rolling up to par.

Welcome!
"The most interesting information comes from children, for
they tell all they know and then stop." - Mark Twain
My Smokes

tnt956

mhuss

Yes, I have been to the new CI Super Store.  It's hands-down THE best cigar store I've ever been to.  I'd like to hang out there sometime and smoke one up in their little lounge they have.  Along with that and their selection, it's definitely the best.

I have to agree a little bit with your Gurkha comment.  I've only had three or four different ones from them, but already I can tell a little difference in the construction from one cigar to another.  But you're right though that the flavors are very consistent.

mistagordo

Welcome Mike...and welcome back to the cigar world!

Steve

ljlemer

Quotemhuss - 10/4/2007  8:23 PM

I'm lucky enough to have a few outstanding cigar stores in my area.
Mike

Cigar stores! I remember them! People used to buy their cigars at cigar stores before the internet made them obsolete! Cigar prices had to absorb the cost of doing business in the concrete world, taxes, rent, payroll, etc. Decent cigars were really expensive back then. Thank goodness for online outlets like Cigarbid.com, CI and Famous.com! Online stores not only have lower overhead, they have more customers than a regular store could have, so they make up in volume what they lose in profit margin.

Welcome, Mike!
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

mhuss

Quoteljlemer - 10/5/2007  12:15 PM

Quotemhuss - 10/4/2007  8:23 PM

I'm lucky enough to have a few outstanding cigar stores in my area.
Mike

Cigar stores! I remember them! People used to buy their cigars at cigar stores before the internet made them obsolete! Cigar prices had to absorb the cost of doing business in the concrete world, taxes, rent, payroll, etc. Decent cigars were really expensive back then. Thank goodness for online outlets like Cigarbid.com, CI and Famous.com! Online stores not only have lower overhead, they have more customers than a regular store could have, so they make up in volume what they lose in profit margin.

Welcome, Mike!

I totally know where you're coming from, ljlemer.  But I still love walking into a cigar shop and looking around.  I especially love the ones like CI, in which the entire store is basically a walk-in humidor.  The entire store is climate controlled.  I certainly see where you're coming from in using the Internet to purchase your cigars.  But you just don't get the same experience.

Actually, I have yet to purchase cigars online.  But with the prices that some of these sites are offering, I think my first online purchase is in the not-too-distant future!

ljlemer

Actually, I have yet to purchase cigars online.  But with the prices that some of these sites are offering, I think my first online purchase is in the not-too-distant future!
[/QUOTE]

When the time comes, we can recommend the best places.

Thomas Mann

mhuss

Quoteljlemer - 10/5/2007  11:05 PM

When the time comes, we can recommend the best places.

The one and only place I had in mind was CI.  I'm sure, though, that you have a few other sites that are very reliable and have outstanding service.  I'd love to know which sites you recommend, if you don't mind!

ljlemer

My favorite is www.cigarbid.com. It's actually an auction, but they sell 5 packs and you can usually buy a 5 pack for the price of one or two of them in a retail store, so you can try out many brands and the ones you don't like you can trade. I also have an amazing humidor site if you're interested.

Thomas Mann

theoldcc

I think cigarbid is owned by CI.  So in essence you're buying from the same place either way.  They are probably my favorite places.  I think Famous and JRs is second.

*P
"The most interesting information comes from children, for
they tell all they know and then stop." - Mark Twain
My Smokes

mhuss

Quoteccforme - 10/7/2007  9:17 AM

I think cigarbid is owned by CI.  So in essence you're buying from the same place either way.  They are probably my favorite places.  I think Famous and JRs is second.

*P

I've been to Famous already, but haven't heard of JRs.  Could you post their web address so I can check them out?  Thanks in advance!
Famous seems to be a pretty nice site.  I've never had a problem buying from CI, so they're the front-runner when it comes to me buying online.  But if I shop around and end up finding something a little cheaper elsewhere, I won't hesitate to buy from there.  I'm sure it's a decent policy to have more than one site that you can count on to get your smokes.

ljlemer

Quoteccforme - 10/7/2007  9:17 AM

*P

If the prices are different, and they are at CI stores, website and cigarbid, then the fact that CI owns all three is not important to the cigar buyer.

Thomas Mann

ljlemer

Quotemhuss - 10/7/2007  9:40 AM

I've been to Famous already, but haven't heard of JRs.  Could you post their web address so I can check them out?  
Quotehttp://www.jrcigars.com/

Thomas Mann

SenorPablo

Hello Mike!  And a belated welcome to the site.  Thanks for all the great reviews.
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

mhuss

QuoteSenorPablo - 10/8/2007  9:06 PM

Hello Mike!  And a belated welcome to the site.  Thanks for all the great reviews.

I don't know how "great" they are, but I try.  I don't really have that refined of a palate that I can pick out every little flavor or tidbit of a cigar.  I had the same problem when I was rating different beers.  I guess I just don't have the capability to pick out everything cigars (and beer) have to offer.  But I'm trying, and it's fun.  So I'm having a good time!   :dancing:

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.