College Football Pick'Em Season 2

Started by StogieDad, 07/22/2014 08:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StogieDad

Had a fun time playing last year, so if there is interest, I would be glad to run this again.

Set up:

I will start a private ESPN Pick'em league.  All you do is pick the 10 games they provide, once a week.  Not much time invested.

The buy-in is $10.  At the end of the season, the winner gets a gift card for the pot.  Pretty simple.

Last year, and I think we should continue this, I placed four checkpoints.  Each quarter of the season was an independent contest, about 4 weeks of picks.  Everyone sends a fiver of sticks to the checkpoint winner.  Each of the four checkpoints is an independent contest.

The quarters will run the following weeks.

Weeks 1-4
Weeks 5-7
Weeks 8-11
Weeks 12-14

We had 9 last year I think, so the champ, MiaFLSurf, took home a cool $90 Gift Certificate and 3 of the 4 checkpoints I believe.

Who wants in?  The more that play, the bigger the winnings.

One request, post on here your desire to play.  I will email an invite to the league.  If you have under 10 feedback and I have not dealt with you before, please just PM me so we can all be comfortable you will stick the season.  The $10 will be due before the season starts.  Prize packs need to be sent promptly after each checkpoint.  It is not fair to leave a winner hanging in this deal.  Just PM me, I am sure there will be no issue.

Here is last years thread if you want to see how it went down....

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=19263.0
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Cfickter

Enjoyed last years, I am in for this year also.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

StogieDad

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Cfickter

do you want it mailed to  you?

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Remodelx15

Would love to play, though I tend to watch pro a lot more than college.  Will you vouch for me, Michael?  I only have one feedback, but it's from you!  :)
If you're not lucky, we can't use you.
- WW2 Submarine admiral

05Venturer

Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Phog

StogieDad

QuoteCfickter - 7/22/2014  11:37 AM

do you want it mailed to  you?

I'd prefer the service P__Pa_, just for ease of tracking and such.  However, mailing is fine, we have plenty of time for it to get here.
-- Winston Churchill

-- Abraham Lincoln

-- Ron Swanson

StogieDad

QuoteRemodelx15 - 7/22/2014  11:50 AM

Would love to play, though I tend to watch pro a lot more than college.  Will you vouch for me, Michael?  I only have one feedback, but it's from you!  :)

I will indeed Joe.  Just don't go all Ghost on us before the first sticks go out :biggrin:
-- Winston Churchill

-- Abraham Lincoln

-- Ron Swanson

StogieDad

Current Players:

CFickter
Remodelx15
05Venturer
Phog
StogieDad
MiaFLSurf
-- Winston Churchill

-- Abraham Lincoln

-- Ron Swanson

MiaFLSurf

110 hours a week.  52 weeks a year.

Remodelx15

No way, Michael!  I'm having too much fun with this to fade away.  And I love the idea of the four quarters of the season being separate contests.  Everybody sending a fiver would be a blast no matter if you're giving or receiving.

I'll p__ p__ you shortly.
- WW2 Submarine admiral

sauraspop

I'll play. How do you want the $10 sent Michael?
Sammy - Semper Vigilis

Be carful what you wish for, You may get it! Ray Wylie Hubbard (Mother Blues)

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake. ~ Cliffy ~

Longhorn

Would love to play this year, Michael!  :thumbsup:

StogieDad

CFickter
Remodelx15 - paid
05Venturer
Phog
StogieDad
MiaFLSurf
sauraspop - paid
Longhorn
-- Winston Churchill

-- Abraham Lincoln

-- Ron Swanson

StogieDad

:bump:

Still have plenty of time, just wanted to keep it fresh.
-- Winston Churchill

-- Abraham Lincoln

-- Ron Swanson

kxthor911

Michael - so we pick 10 games a week? Does everyone play off of those same 10 games? I guess whoever guesses the winner for a single game gets 1 point? And then the points add up for a quarter of the season?

Edit - ok ESPN provides the 10 games...how about the rest?

Hello my name is Nick and I just bought a box of... (courtesy of Stephen and Rob(serious cigars))

Yes its fast, no you cant drive it.

StogieDad

Quotekxthor911 - 7/24/2014  3:34 PM

Michael - so we pick 10 games a week? Does everyone play off of those same 10 games? I guess whoever guesses the winner for a single game gets 1 point? And then the points add up for a quarter of the season?

Edit - ok ESPN provides the 10 games...how about the rest?

ESPN provides the ten games.  You assign a "confidence" value of 1-10, which is the amount of points you risk on each pick.  So the max number of points is 55 for each week.

I will keep the tally for each quarter, which is visible through the standings, but I post on here weekly and then post the winner after each checkpoint.

Cmon Nick, you know you wanna.
-- Winston Churchill

-- Abraham Lincoln

-- Ron Swanson

kxthor911

Yea, your right, I do wanna. Hell I'm in pm incoming. I didn't play last year and wish I would have.
Hello my name is Nick and I just bought a box of... (courtesy of Stephen and Rob(serious cigars))

Yes its fast, no you cant drive it.

StogieDad

CFickter
Remodelx15 - paid
05Venturer
Phog
StogieDad
MiaFLSurf
sauraspop - paid
Longhorn
kxthor911 - paid

Already as big as last year, plenty of time to go.  How cool would it be to get this gift certificate up to $200 or $250.  Serious box purchase there.
-- Winston Churchill

-- Abraham Lincoln

-- Ron Swanson

sauraspop

Sammy - Semper Vigilis

Be carful what you wish for, You may get it! Ray Wylie Hubbard (Mother Blues)

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake. ~ Cliffy ~

chief791

I'm in again Mike. I had a lot of fun playing last year.
"Well now I'm no hero, That's understood
All the redemption I can offer, girl, Is beneath this dirty hood"
From Thunder Road by Bruce Springsteen

"Give me a diablo sandwich, a Dr. Pepper, and make it quick, I'm in a god-damn hurry."

Buford T. Justice

Remodelx15

- WW2 Submarine admiral

Cfickter

Looks like a great group of geeks lining up for this.

Shukpaw

I've been noodling this for nearly a week now.  

Looks like fun.  

I'm in.
I'm right 98% of the time.  Who cares about the other 3%?

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.