Removing humidifier frame in the lid

Started by RDF, 08/05/2014 05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDF

My humidor has a wood frame (~ 1/4" half round pieces in the lid interior that outlines the oasis humidifier location.  I want to remove the wood frame so the surface is flat and I can then mount a Boveda holder.  Anyone tried this?  The frame appears to be glued on (I've only tried prying off a little bit).  Am I going to screw up the surface?

Thanks

HokieSmokes!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." H. Jackson Brown

timpellis

Picture might help, I figure if it is anything like the ones I have you can get them off, might make things look a bit worse but if you are going to cover it up anyway.  If I was going for best look I would try and chisel off as much as I could and then sand everything flush.

gitfiddl

I've pried a couple off and it didn't do too much damage.  I used some rags moistened with hot water, then let the frames get warm, said WTF and did it  YMMV.

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

dddddmorgan

Sometimes alcohol is a great solvent for loosening glue in a situation like this. A q-tip soaked will allow precise application.

Sometimes acetone will work too and neither should do any serious stain damage. As stated before a sharp chisel, preferably after some weakening of the glue should pop the trim right off.

Chances are you can get it off with nothing more than careful chisel work as it's unlikely that good of glue has been used. Now if the humidor was old and true horse-hide glue was used it makes a strong enough bond you can actually tear out wood fiber, highly unlikely in this case.
Molon Labe!

DonM

I got lucky, mine just had small brads holding it in place.  It was the 1st thing I did when I bought the humidor

"The Curmudgeon"

tvolball

I have never tried that although mine looks glued also. I use Boveda packs and I just lay them in the humidor and I have had no problems at all. In fact Boveda themselves say it's ok to lay the packs on your cigars.
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.