The pipe bug has bitten me but good!

Started by gitfiddl, 08/06/2014 03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitfiddl

I started in earnest on my "pipe journey" back in May.  My Dad had given me a couple of his old pipes a couple of years ago when Altadis was doing their free giveaway on Sutliff Private Stock stuff.  I smoked through a tin of Molto Dolce and forgot about the tin each of Great Outdoors and Tabac Noir I had.  Since May, I've added a half dozen MM cobs, some MM hardwood pipes and a couple of knock-about briars.  Nothing to brag about, with the exception of the Alpha that Dad gave me.

Through a trade with Kent (05Venturer) and some other purchases, my pipe tobacco collection has grown.  This is as bad as when I got into cigars...  

:biggrin:

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Cfickter

You have been hit by the double whammy!
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

lubrix

----
Guru of ruining the moment.

DonM

You have as many mason jars as you do humidors :biggrin:

"The Curmudgeon"

toby2

Kman

Does this make you co-dependent?!?!?!
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

kxthor911

Lots of jars there, and they look pretty large. You have a lot of smoking to do brother.
Hello my name is Nick and I just bought a box of... (courtesy of Stephen and Rob(serious cigars))

Yes its fast, no you cant drive it.

gitfiddl

Quotekxthor911 - 8/6/2014  9:22 PM

Lots of jars there, and they look pretty large. You have a lot of smoking to do brother.

The bulk of them are "half pint" jars and hold two ounces or so.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

ROTHNH

Good for you, Dave!  

If you don't go crazy buying pipes (or tobacco for that matter), pipe smoking is much less expensive than cigars.  I went back to the pipe almost 3 years ago now -- when I found a couple of my Peterson pipes and a Peterson leather pouch and piper knife inside a moving box we hadn't opened yet.  Since then, I smoke a couple bowls per day and maybe 2-3 cigars or less per week.

Like cigars, you can save a lot of money on pipes (35% to more than 50%) buying restored estate pipes ... here's a few for you to check out:

smokingpipes.com
mke-lawpipes.com
briarblues.com
pulversbriar.com
pipesandcigars.com
vtpipes.com
smokershaven.com

As you know, CI has an occasional good deal on tobacco, but not very often.  I buy 90% of my tobacco from 4 Noggins, Smoking Pipes and Pipes & Cigars.  The latter two have a E-newsletter that comes 1-2 times a week you can sign up for.

gitfiddl

QuoteROTHNH - 8/9/2014  11:53 AM

Good for you, Dave!  

If you don't go crazy buying pipes (or tobacco for that matter), pipe smoking is much less expensive than cigars.  I went back to the pipe almost 3 years ago now -- when I found a couple of my Peterson pipes and a Peterson leather pouch and piper knife inside a moving box we hadn't opened yet.  Since then, I smoke a couple bowls per day and maybe 2-3 cigars or less per week.

Like cigars, you can save a lot of money on pipes (35% to more than 50%) buying restored estate pipes ... here's a few for you to check out:

smokingpipes.com
mke-lawpipes.com
briarblues.com
pulversbriar.com
pipesandcigars.com
vtpipes.com
smokershaven.com

As you know, CI has an occasional good deal on tobacco, but not very often.  I buy 90% of my tobacco from 4 Noggins, Smoking Pipes and Pipes & Cigars.  The latter two have a E-newsletter that comes 1-2 times a week you can sign up for.

I'm well acquainted with P&C.  You know CI bought them a while back.  I'm waiting for my next trip out to my folks' house to rummage through my dad's pipes before I start buying real "namebrand" pipes in earnest, estate or otherwise.  At one point, Dad had 60 or so: Stanwells, Petersons, various Edwards' house brands, and a bunch that he picked up in the Mediterranean on various USN cruises and deployments.  The 6 cob and 2 hardwood MMs and the 8 briars I have should hold me until then.  StogieDad has agreed to keep an eye out at his local Tinder Box for me for any decent basket pipes and be my "proxy buyer".

Newbhunter

Nice! Il got into it just over a month ago myself... It's a whole different vibe than the sticks but just as enjoyable. I only did one MM cobber then went straight to blatter for one of their fine briars (it's a lil 100year old shop in Montreal that makes pipes)... Anyways... Have with it!

Mautrak

I think there is nothing that beats the smell of pipe tobacco smoke.  I picked up a cheap corn cob pipe and cheap tobacco, but I think I need lessons.  Between the tamping and the lighting, I have a heck of a time keeping it lit and smoking properly.  Either that, or I need to buy a nicer pipe and tobacco and do it right!

05Venturer

QuoteMautrak - 8/9/2014  6:39 PM

I think there is nothing that beats the smell of pipe tobacco smoke.  I picked up a cheap corn cob pipe and cheap tobacco, but I think I need lessons.  Between the tamping and the lighting, I have a heck of a time keeping it lit and smoking properly.  Either that, or I need to buy a nicer pipe and tobacco and do it right!

In my opinion the absolute best pipe to start out with is a Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob Pipe, make sure you don't get a Chinese cob or off brand as they are nowhere close to a MM. I have several pipes and I still find myself reaching for a MM cob more than any of my briar or pear wood pipes.
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Cigary

Just got back into the habit and went crazeeeee buying pipes and tobacco...from what I have now it would appear as if I've been smoking pipes for years when in fact I haven't.  Love the hobby as I had to quit 25 years ago because I developed TMJ....now it appears that it's not a problem except to my credit card.

dddddmorgan

Dave, did you ever get a pipe rack? I saw where you were talking about wanting one.

I might just know where a nice one is hiding at a thrift store ;-)

Molon Labe!

gitfiddl

Quotedddddmorgan - 8/9/2014  11:58 PM

Dave, did you ever get a pipe rack? I saw where you were talking about wanting one.

I might just know where a nice one is hiding at a thrift store ;-)

I sent you a PM.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.