New Reviews

Started by ljlemer, 10/08/2007 08:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ljlemer

I'm delighted to see there has been a new spurt of reviews from other members, so many that the front webpage can't hold them all. Is there a way I can enlarge that front page list to read them all, assuming there are more very recent reviews?
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

monteclaro

Good question.  Maybe there should be a way to to all recent reviews.  Maybe under the Reviews section itself rather than the home page.  You could do, last week, last month, etc...

Just a thought.
Hmmm...what to smoke, what to smoke...
http://www.cigargeeks.com/humidor/default....mber=monteclaro

ljlemer

Maybe even divided into each member's reviews, like the My Reviews section where we can see our own reviews.

Thomas Mann

SenorPablo

I agree.  It's great to see all the great new reviews out there.  Keep up the great work!

Let me think about other ways of showing reviews.  I do like the ideas here.  Maybe a recent reviews and a top reviewers, or most reviewed cigars.  Let me think about it some.

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

ljlemer

Paul, just how much power do you have over this website? Can you do anything? Can you change the name to Pipegeeks or Cigarnerds? Remember my suggestion to list all makes and models in the database list, and those that are filed under their parent company just say "see parent co). I think under "wrapper" you should give more choices. Sometimes I don't know the country of origin but I do know it's a Corojo, for example. Any info is better than nothing. You might also expand it to include "Ecuadorian Connecticut", for example, also Connecticut USA and Connecticut foreign grown. What do you think? My  review of Double Happiness, which I smoked a few days ago, is waiting for you to place the vitola I smoked in the database.

Thomas Mann

theoldcc

Wow...obviously Larry has been giving this some thought.  Cigarnerds?  I'm not sure i'd rather be a nerd or a geek.   :confused:
"The most interesting information comes from children, for
they tell all they know and then stop." - Mark Twain
My Smokes

tnt956

I do believe that being a geek is above being a nerd! :biggrin:

ljlemer

Quotetnt956 - 10/9/2007  12:31 PM

I do believe that being a geek is above being a nerd! :biggrin:

I agree. I also ruled out cigardegenerates and cigarwannabes. I realized we are not cigar wannabes because we don't want to be cigars, just smoke them. As for degenerates, I'm giving everyone the benefit of the doubt, so that leaves only me.  :lmao: Then I came upon the perfect name: cigargeeks, but it was taken. :sad:  I haven't had a cigar since Thursday. Five days. It shows. :-0

Thomas Mann

SenorPablo

Quoteljlemer - 10/8/2007  10:24 PM

Paul, just how much power do you have over this website? Can you do anything? Can you change the name to Pipegeeks or Cigarnerds? Remember my suggestion to list all makes and models in the database list, and those that are filed under their parent company just say "see parent co). I think under "wrapper" you should give more choices. Sometimes I don't know the country of origin but I do know it's a Corojo, for example. Any info is better than nothing. You might also expand it to include "Ecuadorian Connecticut", for example, also Connecticut USA and Connecticut foreign grown. What do you think? My  review of Double Happiness, which I smoked a few days ago, is waiting for you to place the vitola I smoked in the database.

Man that's a lot to digest Larry!

Well...since I own the site, I think it's safe to say I could change the name.  However, after struggling so long for a name that wasn't taken, I think i'll stick with the geek thing.

I do agree that i'd rather be a geek than a nerd.  I think a nerd is just a nerd, but a geek is a nerd with some kinf of skills.  :biggrin:

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

pieman

I think a geek is dedicated...a nerd is just creepy.
www.myspace.com/johnnypieman

"It seems poker's just not your game, Ike. I know: let's have a spelling contest." - Doc Holliday

ljlemer

I just smoked a Gurkha Boer. A common problem with Gurkha Cameroon wrappers is that they are too thin and break and unravel before and during smoking. Such was the case this time. What makes it so sad is that the cigar tasted very good. How much of that is thanks to the Cameroon wrapper or despite it, I don't know. What if they used two wrappers? What if one moistens the wrapper before smoking it? That might actually backfire.  A 4 cigar has been demoted to a 3.5 because of this.  If I were at a public event, smoking it would have been too embarrassing, it was that bad. For that reason, others who like the flavor like I did would probably demote it to a 3 or even less.

My motto is, "I don't want a cigar with good taste, I want a cigar that tastes good". That's also my motto for women.  Therefore I stick to my rating of 3.5.

Thomas Mann

Proph

I had that problem with the Partagas I smoked today, had a cam wrapper, cracked and broke and etc.  I find that making sure my lips are very wet and being very gentle helps a lot, but there's only so much you can do as the heat gets closer to the cracks and it dries out even more causing more cracking.

:rolleyes:
"Do not be too timid or squeamish about your actions, all life is an experiment." -Ralph W. Emerson

SenorPablo

That's really the thing that bugs me about Gurkhas.  There are plenty of them that have consistently decent flavor, but the quality of the construction (usually the wrapper) just ruines it for me.

-Paul

Proph

Just smoked a Camacho 1962 Torpedo.  If you love butter, this is your cigar, otherwise it's not worth the time.  (Short smoke, way too buttery, with no other flavor really deciding to show up)
"Do not be too timid or squeamish about your actions, all life is an experiment." -Ralph W. Emerson

ljlemer

These terms, like buttery, have a hard time making any true sense to me. I might have to smoke one of those just to find out what you mean. I hope I don't have to smoke the torpedo. I don't like that vitola.

Thomas Mann

Proph

Do you know what taking a bite out of butter tastes like.. unsalted.. butter.. that's what it tasted like.. way too oily.

mhuss

I just had a cigar last night that I tasted butter.  I, too, have been wondering what everyone has been talking about when noting a butter flavor in a cigar.  The Montecristo Media Noche had a sweet, smooth & creamy buttery tone to it.  It certainly wasn't overwelming though.  But now I know what you folks are talking about when tasting butter.

Proph

Perdomo Lot 23 Churchhill.  X L Ent cigar.  Tasted like a cigar.  Very enjoyable.  I recommend this to anyone, noob or experienced alike.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.