Antique ice box humidor????

Started by McBryde, 08/12/2014 10:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McBryde

Have any of you guys or gals seen any of these old 3-4 door wooden ice boxes turned into humidors? I figured they would be good on the holding temp and humidity part. Just a thought. I've been looking at getting a larger humidor, and have been thinking about lining one of these with spanish cedar. Does anyone know how the tin lining would be? Should it be taken out, or could you lay the wood over it?

E
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Vroomp

I see no reason to remove the tin lining unless it smells of metal!
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

Mojo66

Smell would be a reason to remove it for sure.

To be on the safe side, I'd get rid of the tin lining, strip the box, clean it, seal it with odorless non toxic sealant and then lay down the Spanish cedar lining. That way you get rid of smells, any possible emanation and get a nice surface to apply lining on.

Nice project, keep us posted with pics

"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

McBryde

Good to know Brad. I know they used copper linings in old humidors, I just didn't know if a different type of metal like tin would cause harm.

E

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

McBryde

Thanks Mojo, I haven't bought one ........ YET, LOL. However, I am wanting to, so we'll see how the Mrs. thinks, lol.

E

McBryde

And I'm guessing Verneer thickness is what most people are using to do this with?

E

NES Tek

Would be really cool to see! Even better to have one. Post pics for sure!
"A good cigar is like tasting a good wine: you smell it, you taste it, you look at it, you feel it - you can even hear it. It satisfies all the senses." - Anonymous

"You play five years in a Jimmy Buffett cover band and see what your freakin' wardrobe looks like, butthole!" - gitfiddl

tvolball

I think that would be a pretty cool humidor
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

toby2

McBryde

Something like this, but I'm not paying that much for one to tear apart, LOL.

http://fortsmith.craigslist.org/atq/4606157826.html

E

lubrix

----
Guru of ruining the moment.

Camshaft83

I would use more then just veneer, maybe something around 3/8s. But thats just me.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

1sgjeffward

Quotetvolball - 8/12/2014  1:18 PM

X2

Anything done right can make an outstanding conversation piece.
Jeff

"Trust those who seek the truth but doubt those who say they have found it."

? André Gide

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=1sgjeffward

Vroomp

With something that seals as well as a refrigerator I see no need for cedar at all, unless you like that flavor...... :confused:

The cedar in a wooden humidor is there to help maintain humidity because it is a porous, yet stable wood with little flavor to impart into the cigars..........

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

StogieDad

I have an unplugged mini fridge that I don't use any cedar, aside from boxes and such.  Holds temp/humidity perfectly, so with a good seal I think you would be good even if you don't strip it out.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Cfickter

I like to see when non traditional items get turned into cool humidors
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

nwb

Quotetvolball - 8/12/2014  3:18 PM

Yes it would.
Chief of Shaft

amigodecigars

"There are plenty of good five-cent cigars in the country. The trouble is they cost a quarter. What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel."  Franklin Pierce Adams

cavenbk

You can judge the character of a man by the things he laughs at.

"A man's true character comes out when he's drunk."     - Charles Chaplin

Longhorn

That will look really nice!  Pics?

pferg

sounds like a really cool idea. and it should work with all the people that turn old fridges into humidors.

GBRADSHAW

I just saw one today....and was thinking the same thing....I'm going back tomorrow!
OK...who's the clown with the cigar?

GBRADSHAW

I just saw one today....and was thinking the same thing....I'm going back tomorrow!
OK...who's the clown with the cigar?

dddddmorgan

Ya I'll chime in that I think the idea would be great.

The interior of the fridge is enamel coated tin, except for the ice box which would be galvanized tin. The enamel coating should clean up easily and the addition of shelves or drawers would probably suffice for cedar infusion. The galvanized tin ice box part I would probably line with plywood or the afore mentioned cedar. You'd have a hard time getting veneer to stick, I'd cut everything for a tight fit and a few dabs of silicone should keep everything in place.
Molon Labe!

ntanner

Thats a great idea. I lived in a house up in Oregon a few years back and it had a built in ice box in the pantry. I never thought to turn it into a humidor. :-0  :angry:
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.