Using Super Absorbant Polymers in an Active Humidifer

Started by scottvodka, 09/05/2014 11:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottvodka

Hey guys.. I'm ready to chuck the foam that's in my Humi-care XG100 active humidifier. I've had good success in desktops with black ice from humi-care. Can anyone think of a reason that I wouldn't be able to use black ice in an active humidifier?

nirab

The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

scottvodka

Quotenirab - 9/5/2014  2:27 PM

Boveda pack says what???  :biggrin:  :shy:  :angel:

I wish... I would have to have 140 packs around my humidor.. and that's just not cost efficient.

Brlesq

Scott, I use floral beads and they work awesome and are dirt cheap.  I only have to add DL about 1x/6-8 weeks.  Here's the thread: http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=27096.0
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

scottvodka

QuoteBrlesq - 9/5/2014  2:37 PM

Scott, I use floral beads and they work awesome and are dirt cheap.  I only have to add DL about 1x/6-8 weeks.  Here's the thread: http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=27096.0

Thanks! I searched and searched for a thread like yours but couldn't find it.

nirab

Quotescottvodka - 9/5/2014  1:31 PM

I wish... I would have to have 140 packs around my humidor.. and that's just not cost efficient.

140!?!?! Do you use your house as a humidor??   :shy:  :biggrin:

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

toby2

glad this came back up. I just ordered some of those water-sorb.com beads. five years and no issues works for me. I only have to use humidification during the coldest winter months anyway. my basement naturally stays about 62% the rest of the year.

SparklePony

Quote140!?!?! Do you use your house as a humidor??   :shy:  :biggrin:

Duh!  
Yes, it's a pineapple hat.  No, you can't put your cigar out in it.

scottvodka

Quotenirab - 9/5/2014  2:54 PM

3500 ct cabinet. Boveda website says 10 packs for 250 count. 3500/250 = 14 x 10 = 140

Mojo66

Quotescottvodka - 9/5/2014  3:38 PM  
Quotenirab - 9/5/2014  2:27 PM  Boveda pack says what???  :biggrin:  :shy:  :angel:
3500 ct cabinet. Boveda website says 10 packs for 250 count. 3500/250 = 14 x 10 = 140

I don't know if it's just me but 10 packs for a 250 ct seems a bit much. I have a few 250 ct (that actually hold more like 200 sticks) and I'm more than OK with 3-4 packs in each.

Just my $0.02

"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

nirab

QuoteMojo66 - 9/5/2014  3:52 PM

Quotescottvodka - 9/5/2014  3:38 PM  
Quotenirab - 9/5/2014  2:27 PM  Boveda pack says what???  :biggrin:  :shy:  :angel:

I don't know if it's just me but 10 packs for a 250 ct seems a bit much. I have a few 250 ct (that actually hold more like 200 sticks) and I'm more than OK with 3-4 packs in each.

Just my $0.02

I use 2 in my 250 count, and one in my 75 count, with no issues. I recharge them, and get at least a year or more out of each pack. I've got a couple that are 2yrs old, and still keeping my humidors nice and safe for my cigars to rest in...until they meet the flame of death, of course!

I could see where a big cabinet style humidor would not be compatible with the Boveda packs, and when I upgrade to a bigger humi, I am sure to look at the Oasis type stuff, or the KL methods. Until then...Boveda, take me away!!!  :biggrin:

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

Thich Nhat Hanh

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

BewareDaPenguin

Quotescottvodka - 9/5/2014  1:48 PM

QuoteBrlesq - 9/5/2014  2:37 PM

Thanks! I searched and searched for a thread like yours but couldn't find it.

Did the same not 2 long ago! Used SAP in mine...those water beads work great haven't had any problems! Have them in my cigar oasis as well as a hydra both are going good, only put water in every few weeks and that's overkill I just keep an eye on it & it's always over 1/2 still full. No problems switching over bro good luck! Bruce helped me when I was switching over and the water beads work great I would recommend them as well :thumbsup:
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

bigjohn20081983

I just put a couple of the humidity packs from Boveda Packs in the one StogieDad sent me I know that is probably overkill in a small humidor but I got the packs for either $.75 or $1 each can't remember off hand so I picked 2 packs to try.
You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

I'D rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

Longhorn

Scott, for my cabinet I switched to a Moist-n-Aire two years ago and never looked back.  I pour DW in it every now and then.  My local B&M owner runs several in his humidor.  One unit will handle 3500 sticks with no problem.  The only call-out is your humidor needs to have air passage (slotted shelves) from top to bottom.  If your humidor is compartmentalized, I'd recommend the Habitat Monitor systems.

Good luck!

http://www.amazon.com/Moist-N-Aire-Electronic-Humidifier/dp/B0013O9U1M
http://www.habitatmonitor.com/applications/cigar-humidifiers/

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.