Xikar hygrometer calibration video lesson

Started by RDF, 10/01/2014 04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDF

This may have been related here before, but thought I'd share in case

Bought a new Xikar digital hygrometer (PuroTemp Rectangular 833XI) which doesn't have a calibration button - supposed to be ready out of the box.  Still I decided to do the salt test to check it and it would not go above 68% after 36 hrs. in the bag.  I wrote a note to Xikar and they directed me to a video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkw4fTNoL90 ) for performing a salt test "the right way".  They recommend using a small sealed container like a small tupperware, not a zip-lock bag as I had been doing.  It read 76%.  So I rechecked my other 2 recently recalibrated round digital hyrometers and sure enough they were high when using the sealed container.

HokieSmokes!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." H. Jackson Brown

sar127

Sir Rob

"I never smoke to excess - that is, I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time." - Mark Twain

bmac7754

Good Video.  I have always done the ziplock bag test.  Makes me want to take all my hygrometers out and do a double check.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

ntanner

I used to do the zipploc but a couple years back I stole one of the wifes containers to do it and havn't gone back since.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

toby2

cool video but I ain't goin for the BS about taking the calibration out bcs we fluck it up more often than we get it right. they are just cheaper to make I bet.
I use the Bovida bag and it matches my what my Fluke 971 reads which has never matched what the new Zikar reads.

Brlesq

Good video.  Thanks for posting that.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

humidorsnmore

"Any cigar smoker is a friend, because I know how he feels." – Alfred de Musset

terrys1991

Thanks for the link I'm retesting my hygrometers in a small sealed container 
"I feel a whole lot more like I do right now, than I did a while ago"

DonM

I could be wrong but buying a hygrometer @ $20 or so you are not going to get a precise instrument. I have been using a Western Digital that is not adjustible for 5 years and I know if it is @ 65 or 66 % it is my sweet spot. Now is it actually @ that RH?  Yea I expect it is off 1 or 2 %.

"The Curmudgeon"

ebernabe

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.