December Member Sponsored Geek Critique (First Two Weeks)

Started by junglepete, 10/04/2014 01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junglepete

This Geek Critique is being sponsored by c.petree.1 (Chris)

Sorry folks, this one is for US residents only.

The Cigar: The Dissident Soap Box Rave (5.5 x 52)

The Hype From The Company: We wanted to create a brand that kind of stood against the way the industry is currently, while maintaining quality in flavor, construction, and industry standards. We kind of felt like everything out there today is a copy of a copy of a copy, and we felt a responsibility to put something different out there. Something that represents our generation in this industry. Not necessarily in the traditional sense of creating a new style or shape, but taking it all the way through to the message, the soul and essence of the cigar. A punchy, strong message that our brand is defiant, rowdy, and not afraid to stay against the grain.

Blend Profile: Nicaraguan Puro

Wrapper: Jalapa
Binder: Double Esteli
Filler: Jalapa, Esteli, and Condega

The Reviewers:

1. c.petree.1 (Chris)
2. ItalianGuido (Arron)
3. Mautrak (Jeremy)
4. Phog (Andy)
5. ntanner (Neal)

Due Date: December 10, 2014.

Note: A reviewer who posts their review late will receive neutral feedback. A reviewer who does not post at all will receive negative feedback. There are always exceptions to the rule, and a reasonable excuse for tardiness or a no show will be respected and thus not counted against the reviewer. Our sponsoring members and our administrators make the choice of who is to participate in any particular Geek Critique and can be better informed of their choices with this new initiative in place.

If you accept the invite, please be sure to stay in touch via this thread to let us know that you have received the cigar.

A big thanks goes out to Chris for sponsoring this Geek Critique. THANKS!! And happy smokin'  :cigarguy:
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

05Venturer

I have done 3 critiques this year and am more than willing to do another if you will have me.
This one looks interesting
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Cigary

Ready willing and able ....this looks like a really good cigar and has all the right qualities I look for.  Can my budget take on another favorite?

Cfickter

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

ntanner

I have already done a few this year but if you are in need I am alway's willing.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

junglepete

Hey guys...can you please double check to see if you have only done three or less this year? (including Industry sponsored GC's) I did a quick check and I could be wrong, but it looks like a couple of you have done 4 already? Nathan is getting back to me with a spread sheet so I can know for sure. My apologies if I am wrong.

Okay, I see that two of you each have one coming up which would give you 4 over the year and 5 if you would be in this one. Let's see if anyone else responds in a timely fashion and if not we'll make it happen.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

nwb

Cool cigar to review.  I met the folks that own the brand at this year's Chattanooga event, and they are different, that's for sure. :biggrin:
Chief of Shaft

junglepete

Guru of Frugality

ItalianGuido

If you need another, I guess I can sacrifice myself to smoking another cigar... :biggrin:

"Cigars!"  - Gene Hackman from "Young Frankenstein"

gpd4

My greatest fear in life is that when I die, my wife sells my things for what I told her I paid for them...

johncw

Mautrak

I've done three this year, and that's counting the one submitted on 1/1/14.  If you still need another reviewer, I'm happy to help.  This cigar sounds interesting.

Phog

junglepete

Guru of Frugality

Mautrak

Woo hoo!  Ready and waiting for when it arrives.  Thanks Chris & Pete!

junglepete

And for the final reviewing spot, these four names go into a hat for a democratic drawing:

05Venturer
Cigary
ntanner
gdp4

and the winner is... ntanner...congratulations, you're in!
Guru of Frugality

Phog

Not gonna lie, pretty excited about popping my GC cherry.  Thanks Pete and Chris!

ItalianGuido

Glad to be onboard! Thanks for putting it together
"Cigars!"  - Gene Hackman from "Young Frankenstein"

bigjohn20081983

I am just wondering when a Geek dose a review what are the normal key points y'all like to see in the review. I know we all have our own style but I can't help but think there is some common points everyone tries to hit on or likes to see when reading a review. Not having done a review or to be honest reading to many of them yet it has me wondering.
You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

I'D rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

Mautrak

John, when you submit your geek critique there's a template that you'll use.  It breaks down the review into five or six components (construction, flavor, etc.) so it makes it easy to fill out those different areas.  There are hints as to what should be discussed in each section.  Beyond that, just offer your opinion.  It would be tough to really jack one up.

bigjohn20081983

QuoteMautrak - 10/7/2014  3:52 PM  John, when you submit your geek critique there's a template that you'll use.  It breaks down the review into five or six components (construction, flavor, etc.) so it makes it easy to fill out those different areas.  There are hints as to what should be discussed in each section.  Beyond that, just offer your opinion.  It would be tough to really jack one up.

Thank You,  That makes sense. You can tell I am still wet behind the eass to all of this but I am trying. :thanx:

I went and found the PDF version of the critique and it puts it into a good layout that makes sense now that I have seen it.

You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

I'D rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

Vroomp

Quotenwb - 10/6/2014  9:28 PM  Cool cigar to review.  I met the folks that own the brand at this year's Chattanooga event, and they are different, that's for sure. :biggrin:

That's an understatement if I ever saw one!  :biggrin:

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

ntanner

I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

nwb

QuoteVroomp - 10/7/2014  4:56 PM
Quotenwb - 10/6/2014  9:28 PM  Cool cigar to review.  I met the folks that own the brand at this year's Chattanooga event, and they are different, that's for sure. :biggrin:
That's an understatement if I ever saw one!  :biggrin:

True. :biggrin:
Chief of Shaft

Cigary

Looking forward to reading the reviews no matter what.  Congrats to those who are in this...they are fun.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.