Problem

Started by kspoorman, 10/10/2014 12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kspoorman

The humidity in my humidor is going up with no humidifier.   I have had my humidor for 7 months.   After a I seasoned it and placed cigars within I was pleased that it kept a nice 70% humidity level with no humidifier.   That has been the case for 6 month'sbut rrecently the humidity is slowly rising and I'm not sure why.  I did have about 70 cigars in the humidor initially and now have about 50.  Can anyone help with this issue.  Thank You.

Joelala

I am not sure where you live but here in Chicago my humidity goes down in the winter and up in the summer time. Right now I have to watch my humidity closely to make sure its not dropping. Maybe where you live it is more humid this time of the year? Also, the best way to keep the humidity in your humidor is by keeping it full (IMHO).

Have you calibrated your hygrometer? What type of hygrometr are you using?(digital or analog) And what do you use for humidity.
Joe

quickme

what's high? 72? 75? 80?  I had that issue in the beginning and I left the lid of my humi open for a little bit.  If it is still bad you can also put those gel silica packs in there to stabilize it.  If its just a little bit don't worry about it or you can always put more sticks in it. :D

Jackal

Have you recently added any new sticks (especially from online sources)?   CI sometimes ships their sticks so wet sticks that they act as humidification devices.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Cfickter

Have you been running your furnace?  Is your seal tight?  That could add to the humidity level.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

kspoorman

Yes I just added new cigars from CI.

junglepete

Just leave the lid open for a few days...test after each day until it drops. Be sure your digital hygrometer is calibrated.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

05Venturer

Using Boveda packs is a great way to avoid RH changes. They are 2 way meaning they will also remove extra humidity. :biggrin:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Camshaft83

Quote05Venturer - 10/10/2014  4:06 PM

Using Boveda packs is a great way to avoid RH changes. They are 2 way meaning they will also remove extra humidity. :biggrin:

Boveda packs or my personal favorite Heartfelt Beads.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

kspoorman

I think jackal is correct.   My new cigars are too wet.  Come to think of it the new ones that I tried to smoke frustrated me because I had to keep re-lighting.

Longhorn

Leave the lid cracked open for a few days or, as others have suggested, use a "two-way" system to help draw some of the moisture out of the air.  I prefer the latter in the event the air in your home is also humid.  

You can use silica based kitty litter to do the same thing as the Boveda packs and Heartfelt beads - http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=articles;sa=view;article=41

Good luck!

05Venturer

Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

bmac7754

Quote05Venturer - 10/10/2014  7:54 PM  Using Boveda packs is a great way to avoid RH changes. They are 2 way meaning they will also remove extra humidity. :biggrin:

Absolutely.. I use them in all my humidors and they balance everything out.

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

Bozz

Quotebmac7754 - 10/10/2014  8:27 PM

Quote05Venturer - 10/10/2014  7:54 PM  Using Boveda packs is a great way to avoid RH changes. They are 2 way meaning they will also remove extra humidity. :biggrin:

I love my Boveda packs. As a lazy man I was so excited when I first found out about them, but the realist in me figured they were too good to be true. I went to my B&M the next day to ask his opinion. He showed me that's how he sets up every humidor he sells and then gave me 4 of them to try out. Now that's all I use.

Camshaft83

Quotebmac7754 - 10/10/2014  6:27 PM

I like to use the Heartfelt because of longer life. I have a 3 drawer humidor and use 1 of the Humicare gels in the small containers that are about the size of a cigar on every shelf. Then to help keep the RH from peaking and dropping I leave a tube of Heartfelts to soak up the extra and release when it gets to low. Really helps keep my RH rock solid.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

Ted

I like both! For my smaller humidor (Treasure Dome) I use a pair of those Boveda holders attached to the lid where the original humidifiers were originally placed, as well as a couple packs placed on the lower level (dry climate). Saves space. In my coolidors I'm less worried about space and like how much easier it is to charge the Heartfelt beads with the spray bottle that hangs off the side.

DonM

I am kind of back tracking here, but you still didn't answer what kind of hygrometer you are using (analog or digital) and have you salt tested it? The reason I ask is if you don't know exactly here your RH is if you haven't.

The other ? I have is that it is unusual that you have 70% or higher humidity in a humidor without any humidifier at all.  Have you looked at the seal on the humidor?

"The Curmudgeon"

nwb

It could be the cigars you introduced, and it could be your hygrometer is off.  I'd salt test it to make sure.

If you continue to have problems, shoot a PM to wescat.  He has a similar problem and has a great solution, one I'm not smart enough to describe here.
Chief of Shaft

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.