How do you age your cigars?

Started by Proph, 10/10/2007 05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proph

I recently bought some Nicaragua Cream cause my cigar budget is kinda low and I wanna get some smoking in before winter, so I got 50, and I'm gonna age 25 of them. Here's my original review, which I'm gonna update since their flavor is already improving, mostly due to pip tobacco.

"I don't think this thing had a 52 ring guage like they say, then again 8 inches may just make the rg seem small.  The construction was ok, a little loose, wrapper and then two layers of binder, and short filler.  For a short filler cigar, it burned cool, probably from the length.  I'm kinda half and half on this one.  On one hand it has this slightly bitter walnut flavor.. kinda like a leathery bland hinting at bitter walnut taste, but then you hit spots of pure smooth cream that overrides it.  The aftertaste stays bitter/bland though, only hinting at cream.  I think if this was made with long filler and a little better construction and about 5 years of aging, it would be a great cigar.  For now though, it's an acceptable cigar for when I don't have any.  It had hints of vanilla in the cream.  The tobacco flavor seemed a little green, and not in a good candela kinda way, more like a this needs aged for 5 years kinda way.  "

How do you guys age yours?

I've been aging mine on top of a layer of pipe tobacco.. and even the ones that have aged only a few weeks now are already tasting better(took them out of the wrappers).. and I'm enjoying the subtle infusion of pipe tobacco.

"Do not be too timid or squeamish about your actions, all life is an experiment." -Ralph W. Emerson

pieman

I have 2 humidors. One for aging and the other as an "on deck" humi. I have heard the arguements about cello on or cello off and even I will admit there is not much sexier than opening a humi and seeing rows of naked cigars, however I Perfer to get the benefits of both sides but cutting the cello on my cigars right at the foot. That way the air gets in good (I know cello lets the cig breathe as well but this is direct ) and the cello stays on to protect against mold ( I keep my aging humi a little more damp) also I think it helps keep the individual flavors truer. This way my hondurans taste like hondurans. Hope this helps.
www.myspace.com/johnnypieman

"It seems poker's just not your game, Ike. I know: let's have a spelling contest." - Doc Holliday

monteclaro

Cellos on at about 66 to 68 RH.  I tend took keep them a bit dryer than my regular humi just to safe from mold.
Hmmm...what to smoke, what to smoke...
http://www.cigargeeks.com/humidor/default....mber=monteclaro

mistagordo

I don't do anything special.  I usually pull the cello off and just leave them in a divided section in my humidor.  I try to keep the darks with the darks and the lights with the lights so the flavor doesn't bleed too much.  Keep the RH around 70.  Nothing fancy for me.

Steve

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.