Cabinet Humidor Build

Started by terrys1991, 10/25/2014 10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrys1991

Recently got back into smoking cigars the 100 ct desk top I bought 2 months ago quickly filled up so I decided to build a cabinet I do the design & shop drawings for a custom cabinet manufacturer so I have access to everything I need. Decided on a cabinet 20" wide x 18" deep x 32" tall (just a little under 4 sq. ft. inside) using African Mahogany the cabinet box is made using ¾" birch plywood the top & bottom are dadoed, glued, & screwed into the sides ¾" plywood back attached

I then attached the mahogany side panels

Applied a beaded face frame

The top is solid hardwood with an ogee profile routed on side & front then applied small moulding under the top & a beaded edged base mould 

Attached the inset glass door frame did some finish sanding ready for stain & laquer 

Its been three weeks since the finish was applied & all laquer smell has dissipated

The color is actually a darker red I guess the shop lighting makes it look lighter 

I was able to get the spanish cedar to line the inside from our lumber supplier, this morning I resawed the 1" thick stock in half & glued up enough to line the sides, back, top & bottom. That is the progress so far, the plan is to have a drawer at top & a center shelf I will add more photos hopefully by next weekend I really need to get this done my emergency coolidor is getting full & I've got more cigars on the way

"I feel a whole lot more like I do right now, than I did a while ago"

lubrix

----
Guru of ruining the moment.

toby2

benchjockey

You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

cavenbk

Beautiful work. Can't wait to see the finished product!
You can judge the character of a man by the things he laughs at.

"A man's true character comes out when he's drunk."     - Charles Chaplin

Cfickter

Beautiful. Awesome wood work
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

bigjohn20081983

Great looking unit.  What front are you going to use lexan plexiglass or just have a regular section of glass pane fitted for it?
You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

I'D rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

sar127

Sir Rob

"I never smoke to excess - that is, I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time." - Mark Twain

hebron

That thing looks awesome, great workmanship :thumbsup:
- Thomas

My digital playground; uCtrl.io, electronics, microcontrollers and computer stuff.

terrys1991

Quotebigjohn20081983 - 10/25/2014  1:02 PM  Great looking unit.  What front are you going to use lexan plexiglass or just have a regular section of glass pane fitted for it?

I will use 1/4" thick glass maybe with a slight tint I want to be able to see the hygrometer & thermometer 

ntanner

Very nice looking cabinet, gonna look better full of cigars though.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Longhorn

Terry, that is a really beautiful cabinet!  I like the color (even with the slight red hue).  Are you going to put an outlet in it to allow for an electric humidifier or use a passive system?  Great craftsmanship!  :thumbsup:

Camshaft83

Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

SenorPablo

Some very nice work there!

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

terrys1991

QuoteLonghorn - 10/25/2014  1:52 PM  Terry, that is a really beautiful cabinet!  I like the color (even with the slight red hue).  Are you going to put an outlet in it to allow for an electric humidifier or use a passive system?  Great craftsmanship!  :thumbsup:

I picked up a hydra sm from cigar bid then ordered the LG fan kit to use in it, I was planning on putting an outlet inside, also thought about just drilling hole in back & running power cable through a grommet 

BewareDaPenguin

Looks awesome nice work :thumbsup:
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

cigarzinn

Fantastic work!  Looks great!

mpurtle01

Nice, taking orders from Geeks any time soon?

ebernabe

Very nice, you do good work.

StogieDad

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

DonM

"The Curmudgeon"

nwb

That is awesome!  Looking forward to seeing your progress and the finished product.
Chief of Shaft

Vexxum

Looks awesome! Look forward to seeing that thing stocked with some good smokes.

Vroomp

Sweet cabinet although, a bit on the heavy side I am sure (being an inch and half thick).... Just curious why you chose to miter the door stiles & rails rather than a mortise and tenon joint?:confused:

I am currently having some doors made for a recessed cabinet I have installed for my stereo and TV components that will only be frames with speaker cloth installed in the panel areas. I asked my buddy for mortise and tenon joints on the frames for the extra glue surface they afford...... (would have done them myself but I am way too lazy and no longer have the patience for fine woodworking)

Are they biscuited or Craig jigged to add strength? Consider how many times this will be opened and closed......... :shades:

Don't mean to be a downer, I think it is a great job and will be a fine addition to your home, not to mention a killer storage container for a "few" more cigars,,,,I was just curious.......  :?:

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

terrys1991

I chose the miter frame because I could use a more decorative  moulding profile than a traditional stick & cope door, the joints are cut on a cnc miter frame machine that cuts a tenon on one side of the miter & a mortise on the other  there is probably as much or more actual glue surface than on traditional door style. Using a plywood carcase makes the cabinet more stable than affixing  two different hardwoods together in the case of Spanish cedar to mahogany which would expand & contract differently

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.