Anyone tried out e-cigarettes or "vaping"

Started by cmmayo, 11/06/2014 08:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmmayo

Just curious if any of you cigar smokers have gotten into electronic cigarettes, or "vaping" as it has come to be known.

After (unfortunately) getting back into cigarette smoking last year, I tried out nicotine gum for times when I couldn't smoke (like the long flight to Japan) and didn't have much success. So I bought a cheap Ego-C e-cigarette and was off cigarettes in 2 weeks. The nicotine levels go from 0-24 and I started at 24, but have dropped down to 6 in the last year. Even when I get off nicotine completely, I plan to keep my vapor cigarette because 1) the flavors are great and 2) I can enjoy it almost everywhere, including while sitting inside with my wife--something not possible with cigars.

I can already anticipate the negative responses from the old schoolers, but I enjoy both my cigars and e-cig. Vaping is a wholly different experience from smoking a cigar. I would compare it to the differences in enjoying different types of alcoholic drinks. A Blue Moon beer does not hold a candle to a glass of well-aged single malt Scotch, but each can be enjoyed without excluding the other.

Here's a picture of my vaping set up. The box is the power source (adjustable) and the different tanks each contain different flavors that can be swapped out. I spend about $30 a month on supplies, while a pack a day in Texas would cost me well over $200.
--Corey

I'M BACK, MF-ers!!!

05Venturer

I did the ecig deal when I was getting off the coffin nails after 30 years on them.It helped me a bit for my nic fix but I never got into the flavors.
I have now been cigarette free for going on 4 months and am really starting to be able to taste my cigars alot more.
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

DonM

Corey, my answer is an absolute OH HELL NO!  Now that I have been sarcastic  :lmao:  I have nothing against it, my daughter does and it got her off the ciggy's which is a good thing.  I am in the cigars or nothing mindset after getting off the cigarettes habit years ago.

Happy vaping!

"The Curmudgeon"

sjn1117

My wife uses one. She went from 2 packs of menthols a day to that thing and progressed herself quickly down to 0% nicotine. I was iffy about it at first but it worked and her doctors have actually said that they thought it was a great way to get off cigarettes as they don't recommend cold turkey for some reason.
why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

bigjohn20081983

I use one for when I'm in a pool hall that doesn't allow smoking. I like the ragtag flavor and one called #winning from a company called Vapor Craft
You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

I'D rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

cmmayo

My flavor rotation:

Boba's Bounty (tobacco base with light honey, graham cracker, other flavors)
Jango (tobacco with cinnamon, other flavors)
Kremlin (pistachio with cocoa)
Gambit (apple pie a la mode)
Trinity (Almond, Macadamia and Pistachio with cinnamon caramel)
Snake Eyes (Banana and Cinnamon toast cereal)

At first I was hoping that the flavors would also help me stop snacking, but now I realize the only thing that stops me from snacking is NOT BUYING SNACKS.  :biggrin:
--Corey

I'M BACK, MF-ers!!!

sjn1117

Wow that sounds like a candystore menu!

cmmayo

Quotesjn1117 - 11/6/2014  11:37 AM

Wow that sounds like a candystore menu!

I started with menthol and something that tasted like cigarettes. Then I discovered tobacco based flavors with added flavors. Eventually I started appreciating the sweeter flavors.

The one flavor I've never found is anything resembling a good cigar. Nothing compares to a good cigar. Except a great cigar. Or maybe a free one.  :biggrin:
--Corey

I'M BACK, MF-ers!!!

sjn1117

I picked up a bottle of my wife's double menthol the other day and noticed a bottle of what was called cigar flavor. I just couldn't imagine it even coming close to the real thing myself.

Joelala

A couple friends of mine use this and I also agree that this is a much better alternative to smoking Ciggs. Good for you buddy!
Joe

SenorPablo

Quotecmmayo - 11/6/2014  12:44 PM

The one flavor I've never found is anything resembling a good cigar. Nothing compares to a good cigar. Except a great cigar. Or maybe a free one.  :biggrin:

Saw these at Famous the other day.  Cigar flavors - maybe?  Wonder if anyone has tried them.
http://www.famous-smoke.com/electronic-cigarettes/e-cigars/

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

Brlesq

QuoteSenorPablo - 11/6/2014  2:24 PM

Quotecmmayo - 11/6/2014  12:44 PM

Saw these at Famous the other day.  Cigar flavors - maybe?  Wonder if anyone has tried them.
http://www.famous-smoke.com/electronic-cigarettes/e-cigars/

-Paul

From Famous:  "Incorporating the highest quality American-made juices, authentic bold flavors and a full, smooth, draw, TRYST's exclusive collection of exclusive and proprietary flavors offer an experience even the most discerning smoker is sure to savor."  YUM!
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Kman

Can't be any worse than a Ghurka right?? :lmao: Even if they didn't taste horrible, half the enjoyment of a cigar is the experience. I don't see getting an "experience" from a vapor.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

sjn1117

QuoteKman - 11/6/2014  1:41 PM  Can't be any worse than a Ghurka right?? :lmao: Even if they didn't taste horrible, half the enjoyment of a cigar is the experience. I don't see getting an "experience" from a vapor.

My thoughts exactly! 

cmmayo

Here's a pic of Room 101's Matt "Boofy" Booth in Austin last year vaping on my e-cig. It was a blend of tobacco and cocoa flavors I had mixed that he said reminded him of Drew Estates' Dirt cigar.

He vaped on it for a while. Meanwhile, nirab and I hung out and bought some of his jewelry.
--Corey

I'M BACK, MF-ers!!!

DonM

QuoteKman - 11/6/2014  2:41 PM

Can't be any worse than a Ghurka right?? :lmao: Even if they didn't taste horrible, half the enjoyment of a cigar is the experience. I don't see getting an "experience" from a vapor.

The last Gurkha I had gifted to me from a friend I felt obligated to smoke, it tasted like shyt.  The local B&M is having a Gurkha nite soon, and asked if I was going to attend.  Oh, my fav cigar, Not!

I think I would rather try vaping than smoking a Gurkha :biggrin:

"The Curmudgeon"

cmmayo

QuoteKman - 11/6/2014  1:41 PM

Vaping is a completely different experience than smoking a cigar, no doubt. And I enjoy both in different ways (plus, I can vape inside the house--not a choice for me with cigars). But smoking cigarettes is just a damn bad habit and about as unhealthy as tobacco use can get. Vaping allowed me to get rid of the cigarette addiction easily, so I am very thankful.

Vaping has it's own unique experience, and especially appealing to tech and gear heads. The technology is advancing rapidly and serious vapers get to mess around with their machinery, rebuilding their own coils--the part that turns the liquid to vapor--both to save money and try to improve upon the mass-produced parts that are available. Cloud chasers build their own rigs and mix their own liquids and even have contests to see who can exhale the largest clouds of vapor. I'm not to that level, but I can appreciate a "vape geek" as much as a "cigar geek." And there is plenty of overlap of the two groups, I have found.
--Corey

I'M BACK, MF-ers!!!

Camshaft83

My girlfriend uses hers a lot. I will puff on it every once in awhile, usually on long car rides as we don't smoke cigars or cigarettes in that car.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

toby2

cool pics. my son needs a third hand to hold his....

nirab

That was a good day we had there Corey! I am not into vaping, but I prefer the smell of them as opposed to cigarettes.

We need to herf again, and real soon my friend!  :biggrin:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Cfickter

I have not tried this and can't see me trying it.  Great for those who like it.  Maybe it's like eating your vegetables as a kid. YOU dont want to but once you try its not bad.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

bmac7754

I have one of the Vaporin pens that I use as I'm trying to lower the cigarette smoking and hopefully quitting soon.  They do help as it feels like a cigarette and much better than the Blu cig I have used before.  I got a guy at work that has a large setup like yours and he lowers the ohms on it to blow huge clouds.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

Mojo66

Am not opposed to them. Have tried a couple of times but am not into flavoured juices. I plan on buying one to kill my cigarettes habit, just as a means to get rid of it completely.

Now if they came up with something that comes close to cigars, I'd surely try it, would make some winter months easier to cope with.
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

Newbhunter

I've been smoking cigs now for 17 years and really need to quit that dirty dirty habit, I tried the e-cig but it's just not the same as smoking a cigarette, it's a brain thing I think, soon as I can get past that the e-cig will probably help me stay of the cigarettes for good...

bmac7754

QuoteMojo66 - 11/7/2014  8:58 AM  Am not opposed to them. Have tried a couple of times but am not into flavoured juices. I plan on buying one to kill my cigarettes habit, just as a means to get rid of it completely.  Now if they came up with something that comes close to cigars, I'd surely try it, would make some winter months easier to cope with.

The Vaporin one I have has enough vapor that feels like a cigarette smoking.  They are totally different from the e cigarettes I've tried.  You can get flavors, but I use the original tobacco flavor and they come in different strengths as well.

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.