Humidor Opinion Wanted.

Started by 05Venturer, 11/11/2014 07:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

05Venturer

I found this copper lined humidor/magazine rack pretty locally and plan to go look at it on Friday.
Anyone that can tell me anything good or bad about a copper lined humidor would be appreciated. FYI I am sure I will be adding a spanish cedar tray or two if I pick it up.
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

bigjohn20081983

My biggest concern would be the copper itself tarnishing and what not. Honestly though I don't know a lot about copper lined humidor. Good luck and I think my concern is more cosmetic.
You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

I'D rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

The Burn Ward

I think a natural wood finish would look better. How much are they asking?

Cfickter

It is my understanding that copper lined humidors were very common along with other materials like milk glass.  One issue early humidor makers had as the lack of a good adhesive to use on woods.  Typically horsehide type glues.  Depending on what else it may have been used to store it should be fine but RH control may be an on going challenge and need monitored more than a cedar lined would.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

sjn1117

I agree with Chuck.  Maintaining humidity may be an issue.
why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

StogieDad

I haven't done much with custom humis, but couldn't you use the flashlight test or something of the like and doctor up and leakage?  Just seems like any problem with seal could probably be resolved, especially if you like the piece.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Brlesq

Copper was used in the old days because of its anti-microbial/anti-bacterial properties that inhibited mold/fungi growth.  It is the common humidor lining that you find from that era.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

05Venturer

QuoteThe Burn Ward - 11/11/2014  9:45 AM

I am thinking the wife will most likely end up refinishing it if I get it. Only asking $30 so its kind of a no-brainer, if nothing else the price of copper is near that for scrap.
Kent

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

DonM

Quote05Venturer - 11/11/2014  2:06 PM

QuoteThe Burn Ward - 11/11/2014  9:45 AM

I am thinking the wife will most likely end up refinishing it if I get it. Only asking $30 so its kind of a no-brainer, if nothing else the price of copper is near that for scrap.

I have seen them listed for 5 X that and in worse shape.  It would be cool to have but the wife would be like WTF?  No room for it

"The Curmudgeon"

Camshaft83

At 30 bucks I think it's a done deal.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

05Venturer

Went and picked up the humidor today, needs a good refinishing but the rest seems good. I picked it up about 1/2 mile from my B&M so stopped in and had a couple cigars and they handed me some swag from an Ashton event last night :biggrin:  :thumbsup:
Kent

bigjohn20081983

You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

I'D rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

ntanner

I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

The Burn Ward

Longhorn

I would store whisky in that!  Looks like a great find!  :thumbsup:

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.