Smoke date

Started by Rerileyjr, 11/24/2014 06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rerileyjr

Is there a way to track the date I smoke a cigar?  If I move one to smoke it I only get the date I bought it. Not the date I smoked it. I can put the date in comments/notes but I'd like to know when I smoked it

gpd4

I think you'd have to do it manually in the comments section.  Or better yet, review each one and the date will be saved on your review date... You should head over to the intro forum and introduce yourself - welcome to CigarGeeks -
My greatest fear in life is that when I die, my wife sells my things for what I told her I paid for them...

Longhorn

I track my previous smokes using this site's VH and the "Smoke One" function as well.

However, I immediately move them from the "Previous Smokes" humidor to an active humidor I created called "Previous Smokes."  I do this so I can periodically clear this out by exporting to Excel and then deleting its contents (basically, delete the humidor and create a new one after export).  This allows for multiple entries of the same cigar with different dates.  Another way to accomplish this is to add $0.01 to the cost of your cigar so it forces a unique entry in your previous smokes (or any other humidor for that matter).  

I chose to use a date format, in the notes section, like this: YYYYMMDD.  This makes it easy to sort and maintain once exported to Excel.  I also enter the location of where I smoked the cigar and any other pertinent information, like who was with me, etc.  The next line of the notes field is always my tray location (for keeping track of my stock) and subsequent note lines are used for box codes or the name of the person who gave me the cigar in the case of a gift.

While this seems tedious, it really isn't.  I create a new Excel workbook every year to record that year's activity - an electronic journal of sorts.

Here's a sample of what my Excel data of previous smokes looks like:
VH Name------------   Vitola Detials-----------------------------------------------------------             Qty    Purch Date   Age       Cost     Notes---------
9.5 Previous Smokes   Oliva Serie V Maduro Especial 2014 Double Toro, NIC (6 x 60, NIC)              1       10/24/14   2 Days      9.15  20141024 LL / C1
9.5 Previous Smokes   Oliva Serie V Maduro Especial 2014 Double Toro, NIC (6 x 60, NIC)          1       10/23/14   0 Days      0.00  20141023 TBE / Gifted by Brian Davis
9.5 Previous Smokes   Pinar del Rio Liga Especial Reserva Superior Gran Toro, DR (6 x 54, DR)          1         4/5/13     569 Days  7.15  20141012 Rutger's Garage /  B3
9.5 Previous Smokes   Tatuaje 10th Anniversary Commemorative Unicos, NIC (6.125 x 52, NIC)      1        10/18/14   0 Days     0.00  20141018 College Game Tailgate  / Gifted by Mike Thomas

Since the note column always starts with the date, it's easy to sort.  The gifted cigars above have 0.00 value and since they were smoked when gifted have no age. The rest of the notes are a bit cryptic - my shorthand for where I smoked them and the location within my humidors from where I pulled the stick.

ntanner

I don't worry about my previous ones so much as I do the next one I am going to smoke. Not surprised that Brad has a way of turning previous smokes info into a spread sheet though, data is his friend. :biggrin:
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Rerileyjr

thanks for the tips Longhorn.  It does look like allot of work.  I usually enter my notes and move a stick to the previous smoked humidor on the fly with my iphone while I'm herfing.  It's just that sometimes I know I had a great smoke last week but can't remember what it was.  Probably just a senior moment.

Remodelx15

I know this thread is old, but I just downloaded the app and thought I'd mention how I deal with Robert's issue.  I also had been in the habit of putting notes in the main humidor and had run into the same problem.  I solved it simply by making my notes in the "smoked" humidor instead.  I mark the stick as smoked (either in the app or on the website), then go to the smoked list and make my notes there.

I enter the date and the age and any comments I might have on that particular stick.  I realized that the only stat I cared about as far as tracking history was the date smoked and the age at that time.

Doing it in this fashion means that even when I buy the same stick type on different occasions (thus having separate entries for that stick type in the humi list), the age stat that I care the most about is preserved, regardless of source.  If the source (or any other stat) is important for a particular stick, then I can make notes on it when I smoke it.  It's not a perfect solution but it has so far seemed to work pretty well for me.

An interesting thing I noted on the app is that the "smoke one" option is present when your looking at a stick IN the "previous smokes" humi.  Not sure what this would do if you pressed it, haven't been brave enough to try so far!  :)

I've been MIA for pretty much this whole year, but I'm looking forward to getting back into the community.  Merry Christmas everybody!
If you're not lucky, we can't use you.
- WW2 Submarine admiral

millarddj

QuoteLonghorn - 11/26/2014  12:31 AM

Lots of information

I'd been thinking of using the second humidor + excel export combo. This clinches it.
Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

toby2

you data geeks are working too hard! if i can't find it i must have smoked it. 

MacMac

I track mine in the comments area too.
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

Brlesq

Quotetoby2 - 12/20/2015  6:07 PM

you data geeks are working too hard! if i can't find it i must have smoked it. 

:lmao:  :lmao:

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Longhorn

^^^^^ Says the Geek with an electronic journal running hundreds of pages.  :whistle:

Brlesq

QuoteLonghorn - 12/20/2015  11:59 PM

^^^^^ Says the Geek with an electronic journal running hundreds of pages.  :whistle:

Yeah, but its in Word 2003.
:biggrin:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

gitfiddl

QuoteBrlesq - 12/21/2015  10:00 AM

QuoteLonghorn - 12/20/2015  11:59 PM

Yeah, but its in Word 2003.

So you finally bailed on Lotus 1-2-3?
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.