Favorite size, what's too big?

Started by blondie, 11/26/2014 07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blondie

my favorite siza as of late are smokes in the 5.5 inch range. Belicosos, robustos. I feel like it's not such a huge commitment, in case I want to sample something else later. Gauge wise, anything over 54 seems too big. I really do not care for too many 60+ ring gauges. 

cavenbk

Favorite size/vitola for me is robusto. Not a fan of large RGs at all
You can judge the character of a man by the things he laughs at.

"A man's true character comes out when he's drunk."     - Charles Chaplin

RDF

I'm liking the robusto size too.  Especially given the winter weather and not wanting to hang out in the garage with a longer/larger stick.  I just rearranged the humidor and moved the larger ring gauge smokes to an "ignore (or rest) for now" status.
HokieSmokes!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." H. Jackson Brown

biggsy16

Prefer the smaller ring size in the winter up here in the frozen north
Never done being a Dad

kuke

Robustos are a perfect size for me.....don't usually have the time to smoke anything bigger.

Camshaft83

Length really doesn't bother me but I prefer the ring gauge to be less then 54. There are a couple big ring cigars I've had that are pretty good but most fall short compared to a smaller ring cigar. Lately I've been on a lancero kick.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

Rammstein142

Definitely up for the robustos and smaller ring gauge smokes right now with winter, specially as I never have time to make it the local shop to smoke indoors.
"There is nothing more agreeable than having a place where one can throw on the floor as many cigar butts as one pleases without the subconscious fear of a maid who is waiting like a sentinel to place an ashtray where the ashes are going to fall."

"Ich kenne keine Parteien mehr, ich kenne nur noch Deutsche!" Kaiser Wilhelm II

"Die Schlacht ist gewonnen , haben die Engländer wurde völlig besiegt." Kaiser Wilhelm II

"Our progress as a nation can be no swifter than our progress in education. The human mind is our fundamental resource." John F. Kennedy

ItalianGuido

52-54 is my favorite, but also love the robustos for the quicker smoke
"Cigars!"  - Gene Hackman from "Young Frankenstein"

bigjohn20081983

For me cigars around the size of the Nub line are perfect.  I don't care as much about the length though I prefer shorter most of the time. What I don't care for is the super big ring gauge stuff they are just plain uncomfortable to smoke for me.
You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

I'D rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

Rebecca Silverwolf

No such thing as too big.... wait... um... you meant cigars...
 :shy:

I generally prefer somewhere in the 46-52 ring gauge. Depends on the cigar. Been getting more into coronas lately, still a fan of the robusto.
"Well, we may not have parted on the best of terms. I realize certain words were exchanged. Also certain... bullets."

"If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

-Captain Malcolm Reynolds

ebernabe

favorites are the perfectos and torpedos.  I don't really care for the ring guages 54+.

StogieDad

My favorite size is probably a Corona Gorda or robusto.   But I smoke anything and it all depends on the blend.  I don't smoke very many at all above 54, so I would say 46-52 is my sweet spot.  When I have time, I have been digging the 7x48 or 49 Churchill lately as well.

Length is all up to what kind of time I have.  I buy a lot of my higher end in the longer vitolas since I set aside time for them.  But I buy a lot of coronas and robustos for daily smokes.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

The Burn Ward

Dalia, Cazadore, Mareva, Minuto and Corona. 50 being the largest with an occasional 52 RG.

johncw

I'm pretty much in-line with most of you. Prefer something 54 or less. Usually smoke a corona and robusto especially in the winter months. I'll go with the longer toro or corona gorda when it's warmer.

ntanner

Corona and lancero are my favorite vitola's as a general rule any time of the year. The larger guages are ok sometime's but as mentioned before, only when I have set enough time aside for them.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Cfickter

favorite is the classic toro 6X52.  I am good up to 60 ring
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

SenorPablo

I prefer the Toro as well in normal weather.  Lately its been the Robusto with the cold that's blown through.

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

benchjockey

My preference lies with the Toro, but Robustos are the choice for a shorter smoke. Prefer at least a 50 RG.
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

Remodelx15

I tend toward toros, but like robustos just as well when time is a little short.  I went through a very brief kick where I liked the 60 rg sizes, but then I got over it.  50-54 is my sweet spot.
If you're not lucky, we can't use you.
- WW2 Submarine admiral

Vroomp

My collection contains a lot of robustos but, I have been buying more lancero and corona sizes in boxes lately. I prefer to stay under 54 as well.
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

sjn1117

I smoke a lot of robustos but I prefer lonsdales and lanceros of late.
why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

Mojo66

Under 54 RG for me as well. Usually not any longer than 6 inches, but I'm open and I'll pretty much smoke anything if that's all there is :biggrin:
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

deanstogie

My ideal stick is 54RG, 6", but truth be told, any size is fine if the blend, construction, and price are good.

DavidCulp

Tried a 15"X70. It did not draw well and only managed a few puffs. I would rate it as too big.  :-)

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.