Attention Keurig users.

Started by 05Venturer, 12/03/2014 07:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

05Venturer

Just an FYI, for those of you who do not know. If you are looking at purchasing a new Keurig machine the new versions will use ONLY Keurig K Cups. The new K Cups have an RFID chip in them and if you try to use anything else the machine will show error. Glad I found this out yesterday from my boss as I was looking into buying a new one with the carafe'. Guess I will shop for another brand now because 90% of the time I use a reusable K cup with my own coffee and that is not an option with the new Keurig models.
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Brlesq

So you buy a box of K Cups with the RFID chip and then cut it off and tape it to your reusable K cup.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

StogieDad

Geez....they figured out people like to have choices, so they figured out a way to only use their product.

That one is going to bite them I bet.  I have a Hamilton Beach that uses the K-Cups, but like you Kent, I use my own coffee the vast majority of the time.  I wouldn't even consider replacing with a Keurig with that being the case.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

nirab

My good ol' fashioned percolator allows me to use any coffee I want, and it's easy to clean...and I prefer DD cups anyways!!  :shy:  :angel:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

05Venturer

QuoteStogieDad - 12/3/2014  10:00 AM

Geez....they figured out people like to have choices, so they figured out a way to only use their product.

That one is going to bite them I bet.  I have a Hamilton Beach that uses the K-Cups, but like you Kent, I use my own coffee the vast majority of the time.  I wouldn't even consider replacing with a Keurig with that being the case.

My bosses wife actually called them and the customer service rep agreed that people would be upset and then added " but they will get over it". That is quality honest customer service.
But I should also add that they asked for the box code on the older K cups they had and sent them replacement boxes for all of them. Worked out sweet because we got a s**t ton of decent K cups for the coffee maker at work. Because the boss brought in all the old style K cups they had.  :biggrin:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

DonM

Another reason not to go to K cups. Seems more are going to them but I won't invest in a machine that requires you to use their k  cups only.  Last 2 coffee makers I bought I spent big $ on them only to break in a years time. French Presses don't have RFID chips, and they don't break unless you do it,  just saying!

"The Curmudgeon"

DonM

Quote05Venturer - 12/3/2014  11:08 AM

QuoteStogieDad - 12/3/2014  10:00 AM

My bosses wife actually called them and the customer service rep agreed that people would be upset and then added " but they will get over it". That is quality honest customer service.

The best way to get over it is don't buy their machines, that will bite them right in the profit side of their business. Here is a hack for it:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jI1n5lJCzHs

"The Curmudgeon"

johncw

Thank God I don't like coffee so I don't have to worry about this mess.

The Burn Ward

Quotenirab - 12/3/2014  11:05 AM

My good ol' fashioned percolator allows me to use any coffee I want, and it's easy to clean...and I prefer DD cups anyways!!  :shy:  :angel:

:lmao: DD cups are much better.

Jackal

QuoteThe Burn Ward - 12/3/2014  9:25 AM

:word:

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

bmac7754

I was actually looking into buying the newer version and had heard about this so I am waiting. I currently have about 20 boxes of dunkin donuts k cups and a bunch of others to burn through first. Not sure it's a chip, I heard it's looking for the black circle on the lid so I was wondering if I took a marker could I duplicate that mark.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

bmac7754

Another thing to be careful about that I hear is the newer machines have a higher wattage consumption and this may blow your fuses. I think the one I have now runs at 1500 and I know people that have issues with that.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

ItalianGuido

We love our Keurig, I didn't think it would brew great coffee, but it does. The issue here is that the K cup patent has expired and Keurig has to find another way to monopolize your coffee buying, hence, a new system. I will stay with the old system, especially since prices on the original K cups should keep coming down and offer third party alternatives.
"Cigars!"  - Gene Hackman from "Young Frankenstein"

bigjohn20081983

Here is a easy hack I hope will work for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68DtMuorDMk

I have only used the Keurig system a handful of time when I was working late nights at work and wanted a cup of coffee but not a whole pot. My go to coffee maker is a old stovetop perk pot.
You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happiness's. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.
Aldous Huxley

Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it; everything fades away: your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace.

Raul Julia

I'D rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=bigjohn20081983

nirab

The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Joelala

I use the work around every day on my new brewer, works fine.
Joe

Joelala

Quotenirab - 12/3/2014  11:33 AM

Here's another set of reasons to ponder...

http://getbetterwellness.com/?p=6503

o boy...to keurig or not to keurig.
Joe

DonM

QuoteJackal - 12/3/2014  11:32 AM

QuoteThe Burn Ward - 12/3/2014  9:25 AM

:lmao:  X 3

"The Curmudgeon"

Vroomp

Quotejohncw - 12/3/2014  10:20 AM  Thank God I don't like coffee so I don't have to worry about this mess.

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

jharrisx5

Yup...love my k-cups...not gonna buy a 2.0!
Puff Puff Give....

Otter

R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

Beegerply

Glad I didn't buy the new version when I brought mine I really like it. I use my own coffee by using one of those little replacement k cups you can by for it, works great.   :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

Mojo66

espresso stove top for the weekday mornings, espresso machine for week-ends.

But when it comes to cups, I like a nice B myself but could do with a C. Would not know what to do with DD but maybe it's just my hands that are too small  :biggrin:
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

The Burn Ward

QuoteMojo66 - 12/3/2014  5:09 PM

espresso stove top for the weekday mornings, espresso machine for week-ends.

But when it comes to cups, I like a nice B myself but could do with a C. Would not know what to do with DD but maybe it's just my hands that are too small  :biggrin:

You know what they say about small hands.....

small gloves

Cfickter

Interesting. We are big Kureg users. Will need to find out more
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.