Monthly Samplers

Started by biggscoug, 12/16/2014 05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggscoug

Does anyone else get a monthly sampler??? I get the CI sampler and I'd give it 2 stars out of 4. Im looking for a different monthly sampler so if anyone has any suggestions please chime in.

Cheers.

Mojo66

Quotebiggscoug - 12/16/2014  8:33 PM  Does anyone else get a monthly sampler??? I get the CI sampler and I'd give it 2 stars out of 4. Im looking for a different monthly sampler so if anyone has any suggestions please chime in.  Cheers.

My suggestion would be to not get any monthly sampler. There is always stuff in there that you end up not liking / smoking. Instead, spend you hard earned money on stuff you know you'll like based on suggestions, reviews, your personal preferences etc.

What type of cigar(s) do you like, maybe geeks here would be able to point you in a general direction.

"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

bmac7754

I have never gotten into the cigar of the month club as I like to know whats coming in the mail.  I did have a buddy that did the Cigar.com cigar of the month and really liked it, plus you get a % off sales.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

sjn1117

I have to agree here.The monthly samplers never seem to be 100% what you like. You're better off in the long run buying fivers of cigars that fit your preferred profile until you find the box-worthy sticks, Just my .02.
why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

biggscoug

I like to try new sticks. It's $30 for 8 cigars. So it's not a bad deal. I also like the surprise in the mail. And Im bored with what local B&M carry. So this feeds one desire, I'd just like to upgrade.

Ken Kelley

Well, on the other hand, a guy just starting out in the hobby needs to try a variety of different cigars to sort out what is good for them and not so good. Whichever way you get there is just as good as another. No sense complicating things too much....
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

sjn1117

I'm definitely not knocking it, just personally don't have room for yuck stuff anymore so I stick to what I know and what my geek buds recommend.
why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

kxthor911

For the first 6-8 months that I was in this hobby I did the holts.com sampler. I enjoyed it, smoked some great cigars, I would say that most of the time it was worth the money. Maybe two of the 8 months it feel short. It actually introduced me to my favorite cigar, the Padron 1926 natural, and had an Fuente Anejo in the mix. So if your new, I say go for it.
Hello my name is Nick and I just bought a box of... (courtesy of Stephen and Rob(serious cigars))

Yes its fast, no you cant drive it.

biggscoug

I may be a new guy here, but Im not starting out in the hobby. Im 7 years in and my tower of power is packed. I just like getting cigars in the mail every month.

kxthor911

Quotebiggscoug - 12/16/2014  8:18 PM  I may be a new guy here, but Im not starting out in the hobby. Im 7 years in and my tower of power is packed. I just like getting cigars in the mail every month.

Didn't mean to call you "new" and being a "newb" isn't all bad. Hope you enjoy the site. 

Hello my name is Nick and I just bought a box of... (courtesy of Stephen and Rob(serious cigars))

Yes its fast, no you cant drive it.

ninfiction

My dad is a member of Thompson's cotm club. I've not heard good things about them, from pressure sales to spamming mail and auto signups for stuff, but he enjoys it and swears he's never had issues. The one I thought about getting is from Cigar Fed http://store.cigarfederation.com/products/cigar-of-the-month-club seems at least half the sticks are of really good quality and usually a couple I haven't heard of. It's $40 compared to some cheaper ones but you get what you pay for I think.

edit: looking at this again for the first time in a couple months and December is an excellent selection and they claim it's boutique cigars every month so you shouldn't end up with sub par sticks at all...tempting.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Mojo66

Quotebiggscoug - 12/16/2014  8:33 PM  Does anyone else get a monthly sampler??? I get the CI sampler and I'd give it 2 stars out of 4. Im looking for a different monthly sampler so if anyone has any suggestions please chime in.  Cheers.

Eric, you've been smoking long enough and have ordered samplers enough to fill a tower, maybe you should give us advice on which samplers to buy  :biggrin:

Seriously, usually when a new member to CG asks about samplers it is most of the time to get to know what he or she likes to then move on to buying packs or boxes, hence the fact most of us assumed you were new to cigars. Did not mean to offend you in any way, we love everyone here and we don't judge. Hope you do enjoy the site and all it has to offer.

"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

biggscoug

Im not offended. And I understand when someone new shows up that they may be new to cigars. No harm.

biggscoug

It wasn't the samplers that did me in... It was cbid and cauctioneer that did me in!

Rammstein142

Uhhhh that Cigar Fed one looks awesome I may have to get in on that. Saw some excellent smokes in there I have really enjoyed, like that Jericho Hill.
"There is nothing more agreeable than having a place where one can throw on the floor as many cigar butts as one pleases without the subconscious fear of a maid who is waiting like a sentinel to place an ashtray where the ashes are going to fall."

"Ich kenne keine Parteien mehr, ich kenne nur noch Deutsche!" Kaiser Wilhelm II

"Die Schlacht ist gewonnen , haben die Engländer wurde völlig besiegt." Kaiser Wilhelm II

"Our progress as a nation can be no swifter than our progress in education. The human mind is our fundamental resource." John F. Kennedy

johncw

Quotebiggscoug - 12/16/2014  8:54 PM

It wasn't the samplers that did me in... It was cbid and cauctioneer that did me in!

LOL it doesn't take long

biggscoug

I had a strategy on Cbid... Get there first, if there were 10 sticks of the one you liked up for auction I'd bid on them all... Set my high bid and hope to wind up with 1 or 2. After winning 7 or 8 a few times I had to change up my strategy.

biggscoug

QuoteRammstein142 - 12/16/2014  7:16 PM

Uhhhh that Cigar Fed one looks awesome I may have to get in on that. Saw some excellent smokes in there I have really enjoyed, like that Jericho Hill.

That one looks really good. There is one out of Canada I liked a lil more though...

Cfickter

I have never gone the monthly sampler route but the cigar fed does look good
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

mpurtle01

I wouldn't hesitate to look at Cigar Federations COTM club.  They do way better than the rest.

nirab

Cigar Federation is the only one I would consider signing up for. Maybe, one of these days... :biggrin:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

biggscoug

Cigar Fed is the winner.

timpellis

The cfed one does look tempting. Looking back over the months it has been good it seems. I saw an arandoza in there, anyone try one? A rep was in my local bm last week and I bought a red, blue and white and got some freebies. Just wondering what I am in for.

Camshaft83

Agreed. The C Fed one looks the best out of all that I have looked at. Still on the fence if I want to get into a monthly thing though.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

ebernabe

you might want to check out some of the passes.  

http://www.cigargeeks.com/boxpass/default.asp

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.