House Fails to Override Child Health Bill Veto

Started by ljlemer, 10/18/2007 02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ljlemer

October 18, 2007
House Fails to Override Child Health Bill Veto

WASHINGTON, Oct. 18 — Supporters of a bill to provide health insurance for 10 million children failed this afternoon, as expected, to muster enough support in the House to override President Bush's veto.

The vote to override the veto was 273 to 156, or 13 votes short of the necessary two-thirds majority of those present and voting; the bill was originally approved by a 265 to 159 vote on Sept. 25.

The main suspense before today's vote was over how many Republicans would side against President Bush. Forty-four House Republicans voted for the bill today, compared with 45 on Sept. 25.

The White House said President Bush was pleased with today's result. So were cigar smokers everywhere.
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

SenorPablo

Nice!  I really couldn't care if it was limited to Cigarettes, but to tax cigars at such a high rate would have really hit the industry pretty hard.
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

Proph

"Do not be too timid or squeamish about your actions, all life is an experiment." -Ralph W. Emerson

theoldcc

Good deal!  I can affored them for at least another year.

:rocker:  :cheer:  :bow: and all the other positive emoticons I haven't been able to use before.
"The most interesting information comes from children, for
they tell all they know and then stop." - Mark Twain
My Smokes

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.