ReHydrating Boveda Packs

Started by 05Venturer, 12/23/2014 10:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

05Venturer

This has been discussed several times so I thought I would post up how I do it.
I use a dual compartment cheap Tupperware container.
In the smaller compartment I put distilled water, in the larger I put my Bovedas, make sure you have all the same humidity level packs or they fight each other.
Just make sure not to spill water into the boveda side of the container, snap the lid on and let em sit.
I usually try to rehydrate them before they get really dried out, I keep a rotation of them going from humidors to rehydration container.
Dependent on how fried out they are they are usually back to like new in a couple weeks or less.
Haven't bought any in quite a long time.
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Vroomp

Seems like a lot of trouble to me... I just dump DW on them in a small tupperware and they're good in a couple days.........

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

CrazyK

Yeah I started out doing it by evaporation, but I realized a small zip-loc bag and immersion does just as well, and is much faster.
CrazyK
--------------------------
Simia demulcta mitis

Jackal

I still do evaporation on mine.  I have a bunch in rotation, so I can afford the time and not worry about damaging the paper on the pouches.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Cigary

We're all creatures of habit and maintaining RH is something of choice and I've probably used every type available.  I still like using tupperware as it keeps RH at a very stable percentage esp. if you line the bottom and sides with cedar sheets.  I've gone from Beads to Bovedas to pillows and finally to KL and for me...KL works very well and can be maintained very easily.  With the change of weather we get here in Ga. I only need to use a few sprays of DW over the KL and I can dial in whatever number I want and that keeps me from worrying about the "what ifs" of RH as I have gone months w/o having to add any DW at all.  I will say one thing about tupperware is that it needs to be vented at least once a week to get an exchange of fresh air as you only have to expose it for less than a minute and you're good.  I've been reading about those who use the 'clip on' tops where the seal isn't all that good and they are having issues with their RH....my advice is don't get the clip on types as I've used them before.  They invariably leak and you'll drive yourself crazy with keeping a good RH.  Over the summer I went from tupperware to a coolerador and love them....they work better than anything I've used and have only added DW once in the last 6 months.

05Venturer

QuoteVroomp - 12/23/2014  12:25 PM

Seems like a lot of trouble to me... I just dump DW on them in a small tupperware and they're good in a couple days.........

Dumping water in a container,putting in bovedas and putting on a lid is a lot of trouble? :?:  :confused:
Kent

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

The Burn Ward

QuoteCrazyK - 12/23/2014  1:51 PM

Yeah I started out doing it by evaporation, but I realized a small zip-loc bag and immersion does just as well, and is much faster.

Same. Plus you can leave them in the bag until you need them.

Cfickter

Interesting approach just dumping them straight into DW. I take Jared's approach. Guess I could sacrifice one in an attempt at that. But I have enought packs that I am usually not in a rush to rehydrate
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

ninfiction

I got a couple super crispy ones out of a dog rocket pass...not sure why it mattered, but I replaced them with new ones..anyway figured I'd try the soaking method, stuck them in a small tupperware container and filled with DW. 2 days from crispy to puffy and ready to go, just pat them with a towel when you remove them from the water, don't rub them. The paper held up fine.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

nirab

QuoteJackal - 12/23/2014  1:18 PM

I still do evaporation on mine.  I have a bunch in rotation, so I can afford the time and not worry about damaging the paper on the pouches.

Same here. I keep a Tupperware container with a small ceramic bowl in the center, filled with distilled water. I place the Bovedas around the bowl, standing up, and leave a couple of cedar blocks on the top of the bowl (why?...I don't f'n know!!), and then just let it sit near my window. Sometimes, they can get quite bloated after a few weeks, but I have some packs that are 3 yrs old and still going strong! Love me some Boveda!  :biggrin:  :bigthumbs:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

05Venturer

QuoteCigary - 12/23/2014  1:18 PM

We're all creatures of habit and maintaining RH is something of choice and I've probably used every type available.  I still like using tupperware as it keeps RH at a very stable percentage esp. if you line the bottom and sides with cedar sheets.  I've gone from Beads to Bovedas to pillows and finally to KL and for me...KL works very well and can be maintained very easily.  With the change of weather we get here in Ga. I only need to use a few sprays of DW over the KL and I can dial in whatever number I want and that keeps me from worrying about the "what ifs" of RH as I have gone months w/o having to add any DW at all.  I will say one thing about tupperware is that it needs to be vented at least once a week to get an exchange of fresh air as you only have to expose it for less than a minute and you're good.  I've been reading about those who use the 'clip on' tops where the seal isn't all that good and they are having issues with their RH....my advice is don't get the clip on types as I've used them before.  They invariably leak and you'll drive yourself crazy with keeping a good RH.  Over the summer I went from tupperware to a coolerador and love them....they work better than anything I've used and have only added DW once in the last 6 months.

FYI, these Ziploc Airtight totes have clip on tops with a foam rubber seal, they work fantastic for me, hold my RH rock solid. Just pop the top every week or two if I can manage not to be digging for a cigar that long LOL.  FYI The wet foam was replaced within a month or so with bovedas. This is an old pic of when I bought my first one.

Kent

mpurtle01

Never knew submerging them worked.  I'm going to give it a try but with a twist.  I have a four stage water conditioning system for my home, and an additional 6 stage reverse osmosis system in the kitchen.  I am going to try it with the reverse osmosis water.  The Boveda packs have a reverse osmosis membrane, so I figure it should be fine, but I'm not a scientist, chemist, biologist or engineer.  Hope it works.  Free refills on my bovedas!

Ken Kelley

Seems like a lot of trouble to go through to save a few pennies.
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

The Burn Ward

QuoteKen Kelley - 12/23/2014  5:57 PM

:biggrin:  I'd like to buy them for a few pennies. Hook me up Ken!

Ken Kelley

QuoteThe Burn Ward - 12/23/2014  6:00 AM

QuoteKen Kelley - 12/23/2014  5:57 PM

:biggrin:  I'd like to buy them for a few pennies. Hook me up Ken!

I've never used them so I can't say much about the process. KL and beads take care of all my needs. Still seems like a lot of trouble though.
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

05Venturer

QuoteKen Kelley - 12/23/2014  4:57 PM

Pennies turn into dollars
Dollars into more dollars
More dollars into cigars  :biggrin:
Kent

The Burn Ward

Quote05Venturer - 12/23/2014  6:47 PM

QuoteKen Kelley - 12/23/2014  4:57 PM

Pennies turn into dollars
Dollars into more dollars
More dollars into cigars  :biggrin:

CIGARS :biggrin:  :cheer:

mpurtle01

KL and Beads seems like a lot of work.  Might as well use a Boveda pack and not touch it for 5 months.

Camshaft83

I might have to give this a try. Thanks for the heads up.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

sjn1117

I use the Boveda in my small desktops and some on hand rehydrating the same way Nirab does it. As far as my bigger boxes, you can't get any more low maintenance than the KL, IMO.
why isnt phonetic spelled like it sounds?

The Lone star Guru of F.A.R.T.(firearms, alcohol, ramble, tobacco)

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.